• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sculpture I've Almost Completed

I didn't really know what forum to post this in, but I felt people who current this forum may appreciate it... so here it is...

I've been working on this in a class at Hamline for a total of roughly 25 hours. Art is not my major and I had no experience with this sort of thing before this class. The hardest part of it all was making texture appear as the color pattern of the bass, and also making scales. If I had more time to work on it I would definitely work much harder on the detail aspects of the scales, and texturizing to appear as color.

Let me know what you think!

Try to be nice!

Thanks

IMGP6776_zps169492fb.jpg

I was wondering the same thing, wood or clay? But I'm pretty sure it's clay.

For someone with no art background, or experience, I think you've done really well. The "scale" is really good, and I'm not referring to the fish scales. I mean the overall size and perspective is pretty much spot on with relation to fin size, fin placement, movement, and the relative size of the fins and head to the overall size of the body. That's truly the most difficult thing to do with this subject matter, and you nailed it.

You've found talent you didn't know you had! Very nice. I'd give it an A+ for your first effort! smile

Only thing I might suggest is a bit more "flare" in the gill plates. Otherwise you've done really well.

Ha thanks a lot everybody. I know there are some harsh critics on here so I'm glad you all like it. Since this is the class "beginning sculpture", they don't let us keep the materials/sculptures, and instead they make us tear them down and recycle them... But I talked my professor into letting me keep this one. He said it'd be impossible to fire/kiln because it has a metal infra-structure, but he recommended that, if I wanted to preserve it, to get it cast in bronze..

And I think it would make a great cabin piece.

So does anybody know where I could get this cast and how much it would cost?