• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fm transmitter for iphone

My wifes car does not have an aux port so I purchased the Griffin iTrip Auto Fm Transmitter with SmartScan Car Charger for her. Bought it on ebeigh for 9.95.

So far so good. Pick an unused frequency and it works fine.

You won't impress any audiophiles, but its not bad at all.

I've used a couple different FM transmitters and honestly they suck if traveling. Each one I used you would need find a different station every 15-20 miles as my radio would find a random station in the middle of nowhere. You can pick the most obscure station on the dial and like clockwork my radio would latch onto some other broadcast within 15 minutes. No they don't have perfect sound but if you're looking for a cheap option perfect sound shouldn't be a priority.

Now if you're sitting stationary they work pretty good, but even then your radio will occasionally grab onto a random station due to changing weather conditions, time of day, etc...

I got fed up with mine and threw them away, I will be installing a cheap Bluetooth radio before my next road trip.

I've used a couple different FM transmitters and honestly they suck if traveling. Each one I used you would need find a different station every 15-20 miles as my radio would find a random station in the middle of nowhere. You can pick the most obscure station on the dial and like clockwork my radio would latch onto some other broadcast within 15 minutes.

Ditto.

Don't waste your money. I went through a few of them and the all sucked, even the more expensive ones. Get an iSimple put in at Best Buy or a car shop. Basically its a FM modulator with either an iPod input or mini headphone jack (you chose, it comes with both). So you flip a switch and have a radio station preset in you car radio, and there you go. Basically gives you the same sound quality as an solid FM station. If you go with the iPod input it will charge it as well.

Now its more expensive (around $150 + installation), so I wouldn't do it if you aren't going to hold onto the car for a while, but I've had mine for 4 years now and have been very happy.

If you are going to spend more than 50 bucks, I would bet that there is a harness than connects to the back or your factory stereo that would provide an AUX input. This would be the best option.

I had that option, but 10 bucks was much better than 150.

If you are going to spend more than 50 bucks, I would bet that there is a harness than connects to the back or your factory stereo that would provide an AUX input. This would be the best option.

I had that option, but 10 bucks was much better than 150.

There wasn't on my Durango, or I would have gone that route. A full integration kit can be even more expensive than the iSimple.

You get what you pay for. My 2c

Thanks for the replies. My daughter's new used car doesn't have a cassette deck, just a CD player. I'll have to look for an auxilary jack but if it has one it must be in back. Her old car, now my son's, has a cassette deck and we have the adapter for that.

I just took a look and one can buy a Sony car stereo with everthing

Quote:
Sony Cdx-gt550ui In-dash Car Cd/mp3/aac/ipod/usb Player Am/fm Receiver with Detachable Faceplate, Aux Input and Remote

for 72 dollars. Well, 85 with shipping. Might be easiest and cheapest and best way to go to just put in a new stereo. In fact many now have bluetooth. No cords required. Many to choose from it appears, for less than 100 bucks.

What kind of stereo? Is it the stock stereo from the vehicle manufacturer?

Anyway FM modulators can be had for cheap. I think I paid 30 bucks for my last one on my Tahoe but they can escalate in price depending the system/vehicle. And they aren't all that difficult to install.

For older cars with cassette or cd player with no aux input , the FM transmitter is the best and easiest option to get your music on to your car radio.

The FM transmitter technology has been improved over time just as the iPhone has. The iPhone had recent change from iPhone4 to iPhone5, which features different connector. The iPhone4 has 30 pin connector where the iPhone5 has a lightning connector. ( the OP did not indicate which model of iPhone )

Try search on the youtube search instead of google search. You may find better result than google result.

For older cars with cassette or cd player with no aux input , the FM transmitter is the best and easiest option to get your music on to your car radio.

Easiest, not the best.

The phone is an iphone 4 and the car is a 2005 Toyota Corolla. It only has 50,000 miles on it so it will last her many years. I'm leaning towards replacing the stereo if it doesn't have an auxilary input which I don't think it does. Thanks for the info.

I installed an Isimple modulator (ISFM22) with blue tooth in my 2007 Suburban and love it... no cables to connect, flip the switch, set the radio channel and go. Since the modulator is connected in line with the radio antenna there's no issue with radio stations as you travel through different radio markets & when it's turned off your FM and AM channels work like always.

marine_man

I like what marine man said. I will look into the Isimple modulator. It might have to wait until she comes home from school for the summer since there is a thing called spring fishing coming up fast. Was the install easy?

According to experts who monitor the automotive market, the last new car to be factory-equipped with a cassette deck in the dashboard was a 2010 Lexus.

Huh.... guess I just haven't been rich enough to own a cassette deck... smirk