• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye setups

I am looking to get a walleye rig or two setup for this year. Problem is I don't know what to get. I am new to the strictly walleye world. Right now I am looking for a rod to do lindy rigs with and using a jig/minnow setup. What would be a good setup for this and what kind of line? I'm mainly a bass fisherman but I want to learn to chase and how to fish for eyes and will prolly be picking everyone's brain this summer on what to look for. Also price wise I'm looking to my spend more than a hundred on the rod. Some that I have looked at are the magtouch and prodigys from the big C store brand, the skeet Reese and Abu gracias.

Thanks for any and all info!

Lindy Rig Rod: 6'9"-7'6" Medium Light-Medium Power with a Fast-Extra Fast Action paired with a 2500 Series Shimano Sized Reel. For line I would look at 6-8lb test.

Jig/Minnow Rod: 6'-7' Medium Light Power Rod with an Extra Fast Action paired with a 1000 Series Shimano Sized Reel. I really like 6lb test for jigging and some prefer braided line for the added sensitivity.

I would purchase the most sensitive blank you can afford.

I love the Legend Elite series by St Croix but they do not come cheap.

I would agree on the sizes listed above.

I have never used one but I have heard great things about the LIMIT Creek Smoothie rod line.

For reels, I love the 1000 series and have not found a walleye this sized reel cannot handle.

I just purchased 2 new Shimano Stradic reels but I cannot speak on how well they work for the money as I have not used them yet. BVeen told they are a great reel but again, the price on these are sky high.

I have a few of the Okuma Expior reels and they are I believe a 9bb reel. Great reel for the price.

7' St. Croix Avid, medium power fast tip will be one rod that can be used for both lindy's and jigs. For me, I do prefer longer rods (7'6") for lindys and a shorter rod (6'6") for jigs but going right between them is a great place to start. The Sahara is also a good reel for the money, as is the Symatre.

For lindys I would use a 8# Trilene XL mono on one spool, and for jigs I would put on 10# Suffix 832 on the other.

If the Avid isn't in your price range it wouldn't bother me to use an Eyecon, but there is a difference.

I love my 7ft. med. fast tip,( mine is a BP)paired with a very old sysmetre 1000, loaded with 2/10 PP and flouro leader.( with 6 lb. flouro on the back up spool)I do have a pflueger 6730 for when the sysm. dies. smile

for a double duty rod I would go with a 7' med fast and pair it with a 1000 series shimano.

Line I would spool it up with 6 lb mono or flouro and then tie on a weight as needed for rigging and a jig for jiggin.

i tend to stay with a 6 foot rod for jiggin and a 7'6 for riggin. so as stated above in between would be perfect for all around

Thanks for the info! I am going to be really looking at the sportshow for rods and the good deal so hopefully will be able to get a couple rods! I am budgeted for up to 100 dollar rods and I know there are some good ones out there! What does the length help with the lindy rig? I have been looking at alot of 7' rods and didn't realize I may need bigger

Length helps get the rod away from the boat, also allows you to reach back farther for a big sweep when they are nibbling and not biting aggressively. I prefer longer rods. Extra fast tip also helps absorb the energy behind large walleye head shakes, preventing any slack to keep the hook in the mouth without making a big hole in their lips from a less sensitive rod tip.

Go see the guys at Reeds, they'll help you, and they also run some great specials. You can spend as much as you want but a $100 rod and a 75-100 reel is a great place to start looking unless price is no object and believe me, Reeds can help you there too!!!. I would do the 1000-1500 series reels also(some companies use 1000, others call them 1500), 2000 can get pretty heavy and not needed. I'm a Power Pro Super Slick line addict with a leader as far as line goes.

Quote:
I am new to the strictly walleye world.

All or nothing?

With you being a bass fisherman you already know Walleye do use weed lines, a lot! As with most fish the hard part is finding them. Jig/minnow and lindy rig are not the best search lures. With that said; jig/rig fishing is holding the rod for a long time so you do not want a rod that is tip heavy. If a fish picks up your jig you want to feel it. If holding a heavy rod all day has your arm tired you won't be able the feel the bite.

I use a short rod for jigging. It is a 5'6" finwick Med light (nice light rod blank). For Lindy rigging I too like a 7' M/L rod so I can pick up the sinker and the leader line for a good hook set. A 7' med/heavy casting rod would work for this too. Just have it free spooled with your thumb on the line.

Strictly walleye world. Your killing me! laugh

7' medium light fast action for both. You want real soft tip for feeling the bite and allowing you to release line or set hook without the fish feeling you. There are some guys that prefer longer jigging rods and some like shorter. Get the one rod and see how you like it rigging and jigging then go from there.

I am looking to get a walleye rig or two setup for this year. Problem is I don't know what to get. I am new to the strictly walleye world. Right now I am looking for a rod to do lindy rigs with and using a jig/minnow setup. What would be a good setup for this and what kind of line?

Start with the LCS69MLF "Smoothie" from Limit Creek (best rigging rod I have ever used - killer for dragging jigs on the river too).

Pair it with any Shimano 2000 to 2500 sized reel from 40 to 60 in price (Shimano makes great reels and I depend on the ones in this price range to make a living).

Use 6lb suffix elite in clear or camo (quality line - worth every penny, no memory, no kinks of off the reel, and strong strong STRONG.)

You won't be disappointed in any or all of these three picks!

Keep catchin'

Turk

why is it people recommend a top end rod (legend elite or something) then use 6 lb mono so the "fish can't feel you", seems to contradict each thought...seems like there is some cheaper middle ground.

a 7' med power fast action spinning setup is good for so many things that you almost have to have one, then you can fine tune additional setups for techniques as you go. A Berkley Lightning rod with a Pfleuger President will get you fishing for under a $100 and i dare say is about as good as anything. I would spool braid of choice and use a mono leader for rigging, flouro for jigging.

I'd second a leadcore setup as #2.

I do mostly lind riggin with little jigging and love my mag touch from cabelas. Its topped with a president reel. I also own the prodigy but use and prefer the mag touch... its a very good rod for the money...espically when its on sale for $59, which is often. I throw fluoro (vanish) on there and can feel a fish fart.

On a side note...i have not tried a more expensive rod but that may change this summer so i can compare the mag touch to something.

St croix avid 7' medium light is a great rod for jigging and lindy rigging. I have mine paired with a Shimano stradic ci4 and spooled with 8lb nanofil. The sensitivity is ridiculous. Fluoro leader to reduce visibility. I also picked up a limit creek 6'9" medium light this spring. I haven't gotten to use it yet, but it feels a lot like the avid and I've heard great things.

I was always told that the perfect rod for lindy rigging will be the same one as the perfect rod for jigging (both vertical and/or pitching), so I have one for both presentations. med or med/light depending on preference with a fast/xfast tip and you'll be fine no matter how you go. Length is also preference, but once you go with a long rod for these presentations I doubt that you would prefer a shorter rod. Length is always nice, except when you're trying to fit the rod into the back of your pickup!

Quote:
a 7' med power fast action spinning setup is good for so many things that you almost have to have one, then you can fine tune additional setups for techniques as you go. A Berkley Lightning rod with a Pfleuger President will get you fishing for under a $100 and i dare say is about as good as anything. I would spool braid of choice and use a mono leader for rigging, flouro for jigging.

The rod is a bit heavy (not to heavy) but that is a real "good" combo to get you going. The President is about the best reel for the money. IMHO.