• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reinstating a 5 year moratorium on wolf hunting

bd477

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine finally did respond. He said "If it's brought to the house floor I'll talk to my colleagues on the Environment and Natural Resources Committee who are more informed on this issue."

I personally think talking to the DNR (the experts) would make more sense.

kkahmann, thank you for sharing your observations. You have lived among wolves, enjoying them and harvesting them, and I have a great deal of respect for your post. Although I did not apply for a tag, I certainly support the hunt - management through hunting is a carefully controlled(well as much as can be carefully controlled anyway) method that will provide data for future seasons and discussions. Just like harvest of other renewable resources in MN.

Sure beats the three S's - Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up, that goes on all over the place.

The wolf folks need to push for year round wolf hunting in the moose's range. How sad that the moose hunt is likely over with and maybe never coming back, they might as well have kept the season rather than feed the wolves moose. Not saying it's 100% on the wolves, but they are really thinning out what's left. The math just doesn't work so 1,000 moose calves get born this spring, but with wolf predation and other factors 1,500 of them die, they're in major trouble. I know why so many wolves are calling central MN home. They need to be managed big time and there's no time to waste.

There are too many wolves. Something needs to be done. When I go deer hunting and only see wolves there are too many. When I drive up 169 in tower and see wolves in the ditch there are too many. The deer count was down 125 deer . Alot of people say they didnt see much. So something needs to be done.

That's why I took the time to type from the Montana Outdoors some of the article(s). They have elk,moose,whitetails,muleys,antelope,etc. less people population the mountains etc. and they believe 450 animals is about right for the carrying capacity ? Here's my question, why are wolves more important than moose ? Moose aren't the brightest of animals so when wolves close is it's over with, a stinky old moose can be smelled from a long long ways away. I realize well the NW MN moose are gone and it wasn't wolf related, I agree, but in the NE that is a part of the problem, if I were a wolf I'd rather haul down a moose that isn't going to run away like a deer can, the chase is minimal. Deer numbers are lower so to efficiently get a meal with few calories burned take a moose plus it's hundreds of more pounds to eat. Wish the study would've started 5 years ago, still we can't have another July like last years record high's, that isn't helping any as moose get uncomfortable above 23 degrees in winter and is it 59 degrees in summer, they get stressed.