• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How did everyone do?

We saw a ton on ducks flying on Saturday but they were all sky high. It was more ducks than we have ever saw on opening weekend but a lot fewer shots. We hunt in central MN around St. Cloud. 3 on Saturday for four guys- pretty tough, but hey we didn't spend a whole lot on ammo. Sunday we did a lot of pond jumping and ended up getting 9 for six guys.

Was between Alex and Fergus both days. Fewer ducks than usual. Got 4 mallard for 3 guys on Saturday. Never fired a shot after 2 pm and we only missed once. Sunday was even fewer ducks but 2 of us managed a limit with Mallard, Woodie, Teal, Widgeon and Ring Necks. Not allot of shooting except for Sunday morning although it would have been tough to hear with the wind. Plenty of geese on the area.

Hunting was good for us this weekend. Saturday there were tons of mallards using the slough. The ducks seemed decoy shy. But we still got several opportunites. Three of us hunting got 5 mallards and two wood ducks. Lots of misses and passing on ducks in range looking for a better son with a young hunter along.

Sunday morning was a lot of fun! Just my son( 13 years old) and I hunting. A lot of activitiy 10 minutes before season with lots of ducks in the decoys. We ended up with 2 malards, 2 ring necks, 1 blue wing teal and two honkers. Passed on a lot of shots early and missed a few as well.

Hunting in the St. Cloud area. Most of the ducks we saw were mallards. Only saw 2 teal and maybe 12 wood ducks and a handful or divers. Most of the geese were flying high and fast.

we hunted s.c. mn. with pretty limited success. 5 guys-10 ducks on sat., 4 guys-3 ducks sun. we saw 1 goose on the opener flying very close to saturn, and only a handfull on sun. also didn't have much for decoying. the hashbrowns, sausages, bacon, and eggs with morels sure did taste good on our new cookstove in our new blind was definitely a plus though!!
mostly mallards, woodies, and teal. we did have a flock of pintails working over the dekes at 4:05--awfull tempting considering it's the first time i've seen pinnies on that slough.
regardless of how the hunt was,it was a blast being out there again with "the boys". my 74 yr old dad even out shot me...i blamed it on the brand of shells.

North Central Minnesota, large WMA. Lots of rice, low water, foul weather at best. 9am probably at least a few hundred ducks flying around. didn't get a shot off until almost 12:30. mostly BWT/GWT and woodies, very few mallards. After the first half hour the ducks wouldn't go near open water or decoys, then the "skybusters" opened up. The good news is that it looks like fall is going to be here to stay and we should be seeing some pulses of migrants coming through on a regular basis, also most of the goof ball's will stay at home watching foosball and not shooting at everything within artillery range.

I hunted with a friend in Benson. WE saw tons of ducks and we ended up with 14. We should've had a lot more with all the easy shots we missed. 1 pintail, 1-shoveler, 2-woodies, 5-teal, and 5-mallards. We saw a ton of roosters also.

Well we where unable to head out on Saturday due to the wife working. So my son and I headed out bright and early Sunday morning. This was the first time he had went duck hunting so I was just as excited as he was. We where unable to due the youth hunt because of his birthday. But we got him a nice little single shot 20 gauge. Been practicing all week at milk jugs ect... Well anyhow we got to our site early and got all set up. Around 6:20 a.m. we saw 3 nice size mallards sitting by our decoys. But some A-hole who can't tell time decided to shoot from across the lake at 6:30 at some other ducks. The ducks by us took right off and a single came thru around 5 minutes later. I told him I was sorry but we had to wait until 6:38 before we could shoot. We where able to call ducks towards us but these guys decided 50 yards up, was close enough and decided to do some sky busting. Being very disapointed we decided to leave around 10:00 and call it a day. I wish some fellow so called hunters would understand by not following the DNR guidelines, that they are not only breaking the law but could also be ruining other hunters chances.
We are planning on going out again this weekend hopefully we will have better luck. But I still had fun sitting in the blind with my son even the days that we don't get a shot off are still great memory makers.

Myself and nine of my hunting buddies where lucky enough to be invited to hunt a private pond. Both days were awsome! Lots of mallards on sat. Sunday brought the teal and they were smoken when they came across that pond. Shot more mallards than any other and hope there are a few ducks left next weekend.

I took out one of my freinds on saturday for the first time and he ended up with 4 ducks and I ended up with 2. They were all mallards. On sunday my dad and I went out and got six again. Four of them were mallards and two were ringnecks. It wasn't bad, however the ducks wouldn't decoy well compared to last year.
><>deadeye

I thought all the skybusters were where I was. WMA north west of the cities. Set up on some backwaters away from the crowds, I managed to pick up two teal and one woodie.
It was good humor when two geese flew over the lake at 70 - 80 yards up. AAA fire would not have touched them, yet several groups of morons continued to support their favorite shell manufacturer.

Hey Flip were you down around home? I shot 4 geese and 1 mallard jumpin ponds. Lots of gees around me but I have little time to hunt in the am now. Let me no if you want to go chase them sometime. Got a sick pup at home so I wont be doing much pheasant huntin this year. Still gotta kill the geese

Hunting south of Grove City in central MN saw lots of woodies, at times they were practically attacking us, they were so determined to get into the decoys. We filled out on them both days, plus 1 teal and 1 merganser. No mallards frown.gif My brothers 10 month old lab did well retrieving his first ducks, undiscplined otherwise, all he could think about was sniffing my female labs 'kitty', but he did well. Should be interesting to see how he does pheasant hunting.

Sunday morning I was the designated clock watcher, was supposed to give a highball at 6:40, heard my first shots off in the distance at 6:28 frown.gif

Hunted Lake of the Woods, Ducks everywhere. There seemed to be a lot of pintails flying around, and Green Winged Teal in flocks like blackbirds in a corn field. Had a great hunt, got a really nice Redhead Drake and a nice Blackduck with all the teal. Was a great opener, I hope this weekend is just as good.