• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where I go hunting I could probaly start around 6:00 if I really wanted to, but if the law says noon, then I will probably wait. Unless of course there are a dozen mallards 10 feet in front of me at 11:59.

Ya, I use to think that to! I had not seen a CO anywhere near where I hunted in the last ten years. Last year, we hunted and shot our limits pretty quick. On our way out we see a guy hiding in the reeds who had been there the entire time. Scared the dump out of me, he is lucky he did not get some steel in the you know what. Anyway, it was a state CO. We were all legal with everything but it just goes to show you that you never know. I got checked three times last year after a dry spell of about ten years. Follow the rules is all I can say!

I love getting out there early and watching them ducks fly. I have aged as a duckhunter to the point that wether or not I shoot at them is not that big of a deal. Three years ago me and the party I was with had a fantastic opener. We had Mallards coming in to our dekes at a steady pace. We were where they wanted to be. After some great shooting a couple of us were still a couple birds shy of our limit. We decided we had enough and let a flock of 100+ Mallards land right around us. (we were in flooded timber) What a beautiful sight. We all watched in awe. It is not all about killin'. Let the youngsters have their day.

I guess most people don't find humor in breaking game laws.

Those who say that they could get away with it if they wanted to. It shouldn't be the fear of a ticket that keeps you from breaking the law. It should be your ethics and doing what is right. If sportsmen don't police themselves what will be left for the future?

When I was a quite a bit younger, I was hunting with my dad on opening day. As usual, some jackholes started shooting about 11:40 and kicked up all the birds. There were birds everywhere. As a beautiful greenhead flew right in front of me (keep in mind I was about 14) I asked my dad If I could shoot since everyone else was. He told me right away, "No! They have rules for a reason, son." So I waited. The inital flurry of activity died down (right about 12:00), but eventually we did get some shooting. Well, about 2:00, here comes a canoe with 2 wardens in it (you can always tell the wardens 'cause they have all-new gear). They stopped at every spread, writing tickets all the way. They went right past us! After giving out a few more tickets, they eventually came over and checked us out. A big burly warden looked me right in the eye and said, "I'm proud of you son, I saw that big mallard fly right in front of you." Well, that day made me a true hunter and a sportsman, not just a shooter and killer.

My biggest problem with the noon opener, mostly on public land, is that inevitably you will get the hunter who will wake up at 10 and get out to the lake at 11:30, so just as just you are getting ready to shoot here will come some guy, taking his sweet time, trying to find a spot to hunt.

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

Hey Highball go out to the DNR websight and download the suplement, then you tell me when the opener is? DNR has not got there stuff together. My brother called last week and asked if there is a permit that a person can get to hunt phesants before the opener if you are training you dog. The lady on the other end was telling him "NO way, you better not do that, and you can't just go out anytime you want". Well guess what, you can get a permit for just that purpose.

ds,
You can get a permit to "Shoot" pheasants before opener, or a permit to take your dog out and just work the field with no shooting? It says in the regs that you can take your dog afield before the season to train, but nothing about shooting at them. How does the permit work?

ds its seems to me your so anti-dnr. Well let me tell you somthing they do some good work in this state. as much as you want to b#!@* They make state land possibkle and decsent to hunt on, they create duck breeding habitat, they educate the public and promote hunting at a state and federal level....so give em a little credit