• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lets hear the Superbowl menu!

I'll be bringing some pulled pork to the party. Because of time restraints, think I'm going to smoke a butt for a few hours Saturday morning, then we're headed out of town the rest of the day. Thought I'd throw it in the crock pot when we get home Saturday night, so it's ready to go Sunday morning.

Since no one in my wife's family has a dog in the fight, we are still gathering (go Figure) at our house. Third year in a row we have done this: an appetizer competition. each household brings two different app's and since this year the SB is in N'Orlens, I am making Jambalaya, Gumbo or Chicken Etu fe'....leaning towards the Jambalaya since I have made it before and it's not too bad, but I really like the chicken etu Fe' ( or however you spell it)....Gumbo is the easiest of the three to make and I am not always one for doing the easiest recipie.

Oh yeah, the bloody Mary bar will be open well before 10 am, and will probably be shut down when the Mother in Law shows up, but only for about 10 minutes..........

Pulled pork, bonless buffalo wings, chili, little bbq smokies, chips and salsa, veggie tray, bloodymary bar and fully stocked fridge of asst beers in the garage. Don't know about desert yet

Gotta love that! What time should I be over for my bloody marys?

Two racks of Baby Backs on the smoker, cole slaw, and baked beans. The baked beans are 3 kinds of beans, pork and beans, kidney beans, lima beans, with pork sausage or burger and onions baked to perfection. That is my aunts old recipe and I love them. Of course we will have to make sure we stay hydrated during the process. Will make some trips down to the fish house on the river in between steps on smoking the ribs. Can't wait.

Since no one in my wife's family has a dog in the fight, we are still gathering (go Figure) at our house. Third year in a row we have done this: an appetizer competition. each household brings two different app's and since this year the SB is in N'Orlens, I am making Jambalaya, Gumbo or Chicken Etu fe'....leaning towards the Jambalaya since I have made it before and it's not too bad, but I really like the chicken etu Fe' ( or however you spell it)....Gumbo is the easiest of the three to make and I am not always one for doing the easiest recipie.

Oh yeah, the bloody Mary bar will be open well before 10 am, and will probably be shut down when the Mother in Law shows up, but only for about 10 minutes..........

When you say well before 10 am, how early we talking? I don't feel so guilty now

Smoking a 10# pork butt for pulled pork, and then smoking one or two Bourbon brined chickens. Sides will include slaw, cider pickled eggs, homemade veggie tray, and a veni sausage/cheese plate with crackers.

Beverages will begin on Saturday as the butt needs to go in. Bourbon for the smoke since I need to make the chicken brine also. Then rolling into Sunday which will feature a few pitcher's of New Orleans own Hurricane's, and Spotted Cow and various Sam Adams for the less adverturesome grin

Thought I would add pics. The 10# butt turned out fantastic, best one I've done yet. I did an extended rest (about 5-6 hours) and it really paid off.

The bourbon chicken was in brine for about 20 hours, and took only about 3.5 hours at 275. From now on I will be injecting any poultry I do. The meat wasnt dry, but it just didnt take up the brine like I thought it should. Anyway, there was some good eating at my house that day!

IMG_0444_zps65754d88.jpg

IMG_0445_zps218dab3f.jpg