• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hummingbird GPS/Sonar

jerkbait

Question

I am thinking of getting a new Hummingbird GPS/Sonar. In the $500 range which one do most of you recomend? I have normally been a Lowrance guy but now that lakemaster is owned by HB I am leaning towards HB. I know my lakemaster chip will not work in the newer HDS units and I will need a new LOTW/RAINY chip so I might as well go with the HB. Thanks

12 answers to this question

i would double check your chip not working in new HDS units. i have heard the 09 vintage or so chips will work in the gen2 HDS's.

plus it sounds like the lowrance insight pro chip will be / is everybit as good as lakemaster for LOTW / Rainy.

i am also in the same situation looking to buy some new technology, seems its hard to get straight answers on a lot of it.

I am thinking of getting a new Hummingbird GPS/Sonar .....

OK, I can add some value but someone else will need to clarify a few things.

I just got back from Mille Lacs with a buddy who had a Hummingbird GPS/Sonar and it worked pretty slick. The GPS performed flawlessly but the Sonar piece had some issues. The Sonar seemed to work at the same frequency as my Vex and his interference was an issue. Not sure why they didn't build this unit like their ice fishing sonar which operates at a difference frequency. Also, the Transducer cable is thick and gets in the way.

Other than those two items, which are relatively minor, I was impressed.

Hope this helps

P.S.

Not sure what model Hummingbird he was using.

i picked up my HB 597 at a store in Rogers last oct for 4 bills, wife almost had a heart attack when i asked her for the $$$$, then we did fall trolling on mille lacs for first time ever this year and she commented that it may have been some of the best spent $$ ever by me....granted we r both pure novices regarding all of this.

....when i went into the store and asked someone what was the best value for under $500, everyone said this version/model easily hands down, so thats what i walked out of the store with and still learning new things on it everyday i get to use it

I have a 788 DI. The sonar works ok but when going across the lake, the map will never keep up. I have all the new updates and still have the problem. I mounted it on my ATV for using it as a GPS with a lakemaster chip and have the same problem if I go faster than about 12 mph.

According to Humminbird customer service there is just so much information on a lakemaster chip the unit can’t keep up. They recommended getting a Navionics chip and trying that. I told them as long as I am at it maybe I should try a new Lowrance and see if it can read the chip I already have. For the cost of the chips I really hate just buying them to see if it will work or not.

The part that really gets me is that I started out with a 597. They told me the cause of that one not keeping up was because the microprocessor in the 597 wasn’t fast enough (sounds pretty good eh?) I was told the 788 was a totally different animal.

I like the unit but am disappointed with what I outlined. Has anyone else had this problem or am I the lone man on the proverbial raft?

WS

I Have the 597ci HD and it keeps up great even in the truck at highway speed but I have the Navionics chip. I have been thinking about the ice-ducer but have heard to much interference with the vex so I haul 2 units around for now. This is the first GPS model I think I will always have it now, fished in the Ely area over christmas and hammered the walleye, just looked for the right depth and structure and caught fish with a lot less moving and drilling.