• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleyes in the metro area

Wow, tough order, but off the top of my head I'd say Minnetonka, Waconia, some of the Minneapolis park lakes. Whitebear, Bald eagle, Forest, Chisago, Green to name a few. Each person will have a favorite go to lake. St. Croix can be awsome as well if you are near the river.

Tunrevir~

AAA #1- Mississippi River or St. Croix- These are 5 times better than any lakes in the area for eyes. Learn one of these and you will never want for walleyes.

AA#1-The Lake closest to where you live that has 2+ walleyes per DNR net .

1. Tonka -If you know it. I know guys that just slay them out there with limits of eaters and an occasional large fish.

2. Prior-My old favorite when I lived down there and it will always produce fish with good size. Weeds and hard bottom keys here.

3. Harriet- MPLS lake that was very productive for me in the 90's but had a dry spell late late 90's -2000's. Maybe it's back but was really good back in the day.

4.Shallow Brooder lakes that DNR uses- you will have to look these up but if they don't winter kill they can be outstanding.

5. Clear -Great medium sized walleye lake. I wont say anymore.

6. White Bear- My home lake. It is a tough lake and is stingy with true eaters 15-18 inchers but there is always a chance of a 6-9 lb fish.

Again rivers (Mississippi and St.Croix) are the best by far if you want to consistently take Walleyes.

Again the best place to fish Walleyes on lakes is the one closest to where you live that has 2+ per gill net in DNR surveys. Don't drive around thinking there is a place like Mille Lacs (The rivers are) in the metro. Learn to fish a lake or river close to your home and learn it well. Find hard bottom areas and weeds and work it during sunset sunrise and after dark and you should eventually find them.

Good luck!

Best Walleye honey hole in minneapolis... wink

N44 58.79208 W93 15.84269

You know you cant resist looking those GPS coordinates up cant you!?!?

Nice, due to health harzards you could probably get away with eating one meal a month. But a nice littly honey hole for those looking to pay to play....

Again rivers (Mississippi and St.Croix) are the best by far if you want to consistently take Walleyes.

I wouldn't be taking walleyes from the mississippi through most of the metro. It's catch and release only from the Ford Dam thru Hastings (Pool 2).

Wonder why the walleye fishing is so great through there? wink

Clear lake is no walleye mecca...You'll catch a ton of them, but almost nothing in the slot. Lots of 10-13" fish in there still. Try back in a couple years when the year class grows a bit.

It's better than that-and I will leave it at that.

At least it was a few years ago.

Clear is a small step above other lakes in the area.

Is pool 2 mapped on the most recent lakemaster chip? Also how safe is taking a snowmobile out there? If I were to put in at Hidden falls park and go south (away from the Ford and Minnehaha creek!) Is there a better landing to head out of closer to some fish?

Also, for a river newbie, would you suggest the stretch from the ford dam to where the MN River joins, or the stretch from where the rivers merge and down river?

Thanks!

Is pool 2 mapped on the most recent lakemaster chip? Also how safe is taking a snowmobile out there? If I were to put in at Hidden falls park and go south (away from the Ford and Minnehaha creek!) Is there a better landing to head out of closer to some fish?

Also, for a river newbie, would you suggest the stretch from the ford dam to where the MN River joins, or the stretch from where the rivers merge and down river?

Thanks!

Don't even think about taking a sled out on the ice! Fish right below the dam at hidden falls from shore (up by the dam) or where Minnehaha Creek comes in once the snow melts.

Just downriver from dwntn St.Paul is a very channelized section that people just work down the rip rap on the shore as there is no other structure except for wing dams that are good also.

Redwing is the best though, just put in by collville or everts once we get a warm spell. Call or post to see what the ice conditions are.