• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can you spear out of a flip over type portable??

BLACKJACK

Would like to try spearing, and also need to upgrade my portable, looking at the Otter thermal with the dark camo cover, looks like it would get dark enough, thinking I could kill two birds with one stone?? Would have to be careful not to slip into the hole when going out the door, but would be a start to see if I like spearing. What do you think?

Would like to try spearing, and also need to upgrade my portable, looking at the Otter thermal with the dark camo cover, looks like it would get dark enough, thinking I could kill two birds with one stone?? Would have to be careful not to slip into the hole when going out the door, but would be a start to see if I like spearing. What do you think?

I've never tried spearing but I will say the otter thermal stays brighter than you'd expect it to, in the bright sunlight. It's dark enough to sight fish for pannies though, so you might be OK on the spearing front.

I have a Clam X2 and just started spearing last year. I took landscaping fabric and lined the ceiling with it and the front door. It works and have speared a few. When Clam came out with the Thermal X2 I was thinking of selling mine and going with that one. I was at the show in Blaine and checked out the Frabil Thermal and will go that way as it is plenty dark in there due to the black fabric. Plus I think their fabric might hold up better.

I agree Terrible. I have a black hub style house and it works fine. I actually speared my PB pike a couple of weeks ago and I had forgotten my tape for the windows. All sorts of light coming in and the big girl didn't care one bit. I think as long as there is no direct light shining in the hole you'll be fine.

Went out today in my Clam Voyager and a buddy and I cut a very large hole and sat side by side and speared. Only stuck a couple but the house worked well. I do put down some floor mats to darken things up and I am planning on putting more velcro on the windows.

I havnt been out spearing yet but I have a red popup portable. I just ordered a black cloth cover for my 4 wheeler that I think may just fit over the top of my portable and block some light. I also have a black mat you can get at Menards for about 6 bucks or so to put down on the ice to block light and make it quieter. So far just in the thinking stages and never tried any of it yet.