• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Shack Rack Ideas

gill man

I'm looking for some ideas for a home made shack rack for my ATV. I have a 2002 Yamaha Grizzly 660 and want a rack to carry a Fishtrap Guide to the back.

I don't own a welder so something made from wood or bolted together steel tubing would be the best. It's not as convenient but I do know somebody with a welder also so feel free to post your welded racks too.

With the weight of a Guide vs the 1 mans, will I have to try to put most of the weight directly over the rear rack, or will I be able to build a rack that positions the shack behind the rear rack? With the length of the Guide I'm thinking I'll have to mount it sideways to the wheeler.

I'm planning to use my gun holders to mount the auger on the front rack.

Any ideas or pictures would be appreciated!

Tucker

My suggestion isn't exactly what you asked for, however I would put some hyfax on the tub and pull it. It's a sled afterall. I would then make a rack or organization system for the wheeler to put items that would bounce around too much or spill in. An organizer for me would have a spot for bait bucket, heater, flasher, camera, maybe bulk propane but I typically use disposables when in the porty. Everything else I carry ends up in their own cases like rods etc. They can stay in the sled as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, this is what works for me! I have an organizer on the back of my wheeler but it isn't home made. I think it was a mad dog soft organizer with a spot for an additional person to sit, etc.

Thanks Gus. I've considered that and it's still a consideration. However, my Guide is pretty old and the sled is wearing thin. I'd rather not pull it so as to not wear the sled more, and offer a smoother ride to the shack and everything in it. I've pulled shacks before and lots of times seem to end up slowing to a crawl going over ruts, etc.

Tucker

This is my old rack that I had mounted. I have since sold my Fish Trap Pro and I am currently designing a new one that is adjustable for different sled sizes. This old design I had served it's purpose and overall I was happy with it. The only thing that I would have changed would have been to add additional support as the rack received a lot of lifting pressure from the weight. I have a 2 up seat/cargo box on the rear rack so having it directly over the rear rack wasn't an option.

Having used this rack and other styles I fabricated, I don't think I would ever attempt at having one for a 2 person flip over. Not only is there a lot of stress and extra weight on the rack, but just getting into the rack or removing it, would really take it's toll on your back.

full-15751-28000-iceatv.jpg