• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fish tacos

Put fillets on microwave safe plate and season if you want and cook on high till they turn white and will flake with a fork. They will turn white from the outside in and you have to keep an eye on them as it only taeks 2-3 minutes. You will be surprised how well a microwave cooks fish, I was.

I agree on the corn tortillas!

here just cut and copied it from a previous post... everyone who's eaten them loved them:

Quote:

O.K. here's one I made last week for about 20 people... A fish fry was being bantied about by all the neighbors, but nobody seemed too gung ho about eating batter fried fish, so I made a suggestion: walleye tacos... it drew mixed responses at first, but I talked them into it. even the ol' timers that said "they didn't sound too good" loved em!

Walleye Tacos

- cut walleye fillets into 1/2" strips, soak in the juice of 1 fresh lime for 1 hour

- while fish is marinating, mix up your different toppings and sides, for the sour creme topping I used 4oz of sour creme, 2 oz. of mayo a good heap of fresh cilantro and a tablespoon or two of taco seasoning, mix up thoroughly and set in fridge

- I also made up fresh pico de galo (sp?) tomatoes, peppers, onions all fresh from the garden, lime juice, cilantro, garlic and salt and pepper

For side dishes we made pineapple cole slaw and a black bean salad and fresh cukes/onions/oil from the garden

Then I took fresh tortilla shells and fried them and made them into taco shells

I took the fish out of the lime juice and seasoned liberally with taco seasoning and Emeril's essence and fried in a hot chili pepper infused olive oil till golden. Squeeze half a lemmon over the fish when finished

Put a few pieces of fish in a shell, top with some cheddar cheese and whatever topping(s) you like. We had shredded lettuce, shredded cabbage, pico, sour creme mix, tomatoes and red onions, salsa and even the slaw on top tasted good!

They were phenomenal! I kept making them and my wife said "how are we going to get rid of all those?" I think I cooked up 48 of them... well we didn't need to worry about left overs! It looked like a storm hit the serving table! They were a hit. My neighbors are all wanting to donate fish again for a repeat over labor day... but I may have something else in store...

Good Luck!

Ken

Fish (just about any kind will work),grilled or fried,depends on the day and guests on hand. seasond to your liking. corn tortillas,grilled or heated in a dry cast iron skillet. Add fine chopped cabbage a 50/50 (roughly)mixture of salsa and sour cream and a squeeze of lime and dash of salt.. The best fish taco ever...If you have too, a little white mexican style cheese is also good. I prefer without cheese.. Pico and hot sauce too.

I lightly batter fillets in panko, then either bake on my grill, in the oven or pan fry. For my toppings I make a jazzed up coleslaw with radish and grilled peppers, and serve with lime, on a warm corn tortilla.....

DSC05837JPGa.jpg

DSC05858JPGa.jpg

Pan fry the fish in small pieces till crispy but not over cooked. Cole slaw, cilantro, avocado, onions and hot sauce. If you do not have fish, the best store stuff is Trader Joes marinated mahi mahi cooked on the grill.

Corn tortillas are the best but it is hard to get a big one, Mexican grocery stores are the best place to find them.

This is one of my favorite meals for guests who enjoy fish. This is done as a serve yourself Taco Bar.

I have used every kind of fish--walleye, perch, sunfish, and crappies and it does't seem to matter much. My personal favorite is perch. I use Frying Magic and coat the fish. I let them sit on a cookie sheet or plate until the coating is completely wet. I deep fry the fish in a Cool Fryer on the porch--wife's rule. grin

I use both corn and flour tortillas and warm then on the stove in a pan or in the microwave-they should be soft and flexible and kept in a covered dish until ready to serve.

I put out the following ingredients and allow the guests to choose what they put into their tacos:

refried beans

black beans

shredded cheese

cilantro

green salsa

red salsa

guacamole

hot sauce

lettuce--believe it or not, very few even bother to put any in their tacos

We are fortunate that we have several local options for authentic salsas,refried beans, and ingredients to make salsas and pico from scratch, but you can use commerical brand salsas or picante.

I keep the fish coming hot out of the fryer, and my wife keeps filling the serving dishes with the fish taco fixings.

Margaritas and Mexican beer(LaBohemia and Pacifico are my two favorites)keep the evening simple and festive. Lemonade and root beer if you're serving the kids. There is very little clean up afterward.

Feliz Navidad!