• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Making the switch from PC to Mac

ted4887

Okay, I am kind of under the gun to buy a new laptop for a work project next week. I ended up going to Best Buy today look at a few of the models that they carry, and other than getting angry at the Google rep that wouldn't leave me alone, it was an alright experience. What happened to Windows 8? It doesn't feel like Windows anymore but more like a smartphone OS. I get that they feel the need to incorporate mobile technology, but I absolutely despised the way the system felt. Is there any way to change the desktop back to an "old" style?

But now, onto my main questions.

This major Windows change has started to push me into thinking that maybe I should move over to Mac. My main computer usage for work is generally just Quickbooks, Mic. Office, some internet based stuff. Personal use would just be browsing internet and watching some videos. My printer is compatible with the Mac OS and that is really my only major piece of office machinery. What kind of considerations should I make before taking the step into the Mac realm? If you own a Mac, have you been happy with them so far?

I'd thought about the same thing. But then I get angry at the fact that I know I'm going to be paying for Windows 8 while I don't use it at all. Just doesn't seem right. But for half the price, maybe that's the ticket since I have the Windows 7 disk laying around.

There are business apps that are totally unsupported on the MAC platform. MAC is a good platform, but it is not a windows machine and be sure that the apps you want to run will run before you purchase.

Often the in between the OS and the main app application adds another layer of failure or the need to jump through extra hoops to get it to run and even then it can affect performance and or stability of the system.

Make an informed decision and know what you are buying and or getting into.

Okay, I am kind of under the gun to buy a new laptop for a work project next week. I ended up going to Best Buy today look at a few of the models that they carry, and other than getting angry at the Google rep that wouldn't leave me alone, it was an alright experience. What happened to Windows 8? It doesn't feel like Windows anymore but more like a smartphone OS. I get that they feel the need to incorporate mobile technology, but I absolutely despised the way the system felt. Is there any way to change the desktop back to an "old" style?

But now, onto my main questions.

This major Windows change has started to push me into thinking that maybe I should move over to Mac. My main computer usage for work is generally just Quickbooks, Mic. Office, some internet based stuff. Personal use would just be browsing internet and watching some videos. My printer is compatible with the Mac OS and that is really my only major piece of office machinery. What kind of considerations should I make before taking the step into the Mac realm? If you own a Mac, have you been happy with them so far?

You can buy laptop from Dell and get Windows 7 on it. I looked at small/medium business laptops. Ships Fast Latitude 5530.

I have been using Macs for the last few years and there are some programs that only run windows. If I had the space on my computer I'd install VM Ware fusion and a copy of windows (dual boot) if you need to run windows programs. There are some drawbacks (speed of windows) to doing it this way, but overall I like Macs better than PC's for usability and they don't keep changing the OS every time their stock looks like it is going to crash.

It all depends on the kind of work you do, what you plan to use the laptop for at work, and how savvy you are with computers. Certainly there are work arounds, as stated above, to using Windows programs on a Mac. There is a decent chance that you will run into problems.

In my office, we get fancy architects or designers that come to meetings with Macs and expect to show things on projectors. Most projectors don't come with Mac adapters. Our IT guy should get some, but it highlights how ill-prepared most businesses are for dealing with Macs.

If you decide to buy a laptop, I strongly urge you not to buy from a Best Buy or wherever. Order from Dell or Lenovo or one of the better laptop makers. Pick and choose your options online and make the purchase. I order a new work laptop every 3 years or so. I ALWAYS have blanked the harddrive and reinstalled Windows, Office, and my essential programs. It eliminates all of the dump that manufacturers like to load on your computer. All of that stuff slows down your system. You can always take your new machine to a local computer shop to have them wipe-out the new HDD and install Windows for you. Maybe it costs the company $100 but it'll save you money when you don't feel that you need to replace the thing after 1-2 years because it's slow.

I order a new work laptop every 3 years or so. I ALWAYS have blanked the harddrive and reinstalled Windows, Office, and my essential programs.

Larger businesses, and perhaps some smaller ones too, have images with the basic load set up for their at-the-time company computers.

If that doesn't apply then people need to think about their support avenues before wiping the HDD. If one has good computer support then probably no bigggie but if the primary support is the computer mfg., be sure to check the service/support/warranty policy before wiping the HDD and loading something other than the factory restore disks.

Good point. Many big companies have IT departments that can Ghost the right image onto a new machine.

I was specifically referring to eliminating all of the Dell/IBM/etc proprietary junk that they think you need. Using the factory discs to reload Windows and any business apps is all that you need. My current Lenovo doesn't need any of the power mgmt junk or the 30 other pointless programs that they install. That is the point of blanking the HDD, but only do it if you know what you're doing. That's why I suggested using a repair shop if necessary.

You can run windows programs on a Mac too. Just need a program, but can't remember the name.

Bootcamp comes loaded on Macs. You need to reboot to switch betweem operating systems.

Paralells allow you to rum both OS at the same time.