• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heart Ablation

ozzie

Question

Didn't know where to post so I thought this might be the best area.

I have Atrial Fibulation and the doctor has suggested and i have set up an appointment to have an Ablation done on Thursday the 20th. My question is has anyone had this procedure done and what was your experience? How long was your recovery? Did they resolve the issue? I am nervous to have the heart worked on but I think this is a relatively safe procedure...My main thing is how might I feel in the immediate days after the procedure?

Thanks,

Ozzie

Ozzie,

If you are at this point I am guessing that you have tried being cardioverted with no success. The ablation is simply burning the tissue in the heart that is causing your atrial fibrillation.

Ablation has a wide variance of being effective. It depends on the type of a-fib you have, how long you have had the a-fib, etc.

You will feel fine after the procedure. You will remain on a antiarrhythmic medication along with warfarin. You will have followups to make sure you are staying out of a-fib.

Ablation is a relatively safe procedure. Complications occur in 4-6% of ablations.

There ia actually a relatively new ablation by Medtronic that freezes the heart rather than burning. I've had 2 friends that have had to have 2 or 3 ablations with, in both cases, little success. To simply state that you will feel fine after the procedure is an onerous statement. Depending on the numbers of areas ablated will determine the shape you are in afterwards. In some cases the patient will be fine and allowed to leave the hospital. In some cases an overnight stay will be required. Remember it is still a major surgery and no two cases are rarely the same. Good luckand hopefully things will work out well for you.

Thanks guys...I haven't done anything prior to this n have not been on meds as that was an option but I don't want to be on meds the rest of my life (i am 34). I will have to stay overnight. I have been on YouTube but I thought I would c if the FM family had any more insight. Thanks again

Thanks guys...I haven't done anything prior to this n have not been on meds as that was an option but I don't want to be on meds the rest of my life (i am 34). I will have to stay overnight. I have been on YouTube but I thought I would c if the FM family had any more insight. Thanks again

Ozzie,

Is there a reason why your cardiologist wants to go with ablation first, with out trying cardioversion?

Also, have other tests been done to see if there is a cause for the a-fib?

No sleep apnea had Holter monitor on n caught a six hour episode. Did a few other tests n the options were meds or ablation. This is a cardiologist at u of m fairview n he seems to be a good doc from reviews n other staff at the hospital.

My heart was in A-Fib and my doctor suggested cardioversion first, and if that didn't work, then we would discuss an ablation. The cardioversion worked and I have had no issues since. This happened in July of 2012. Good Luck!

I agree with getting a second opinion. My dad had the same issue, a-Fib, and his cardiologist suggested they do at least one cardioversion before even talking about ablation. The second time it worked. BTW I learned there are 2 types of cardiologists. One type are referred to as plumbers and the other are referred to as electricians.

Well after doing research the cardioversion is most effective if you just started having afib. They say I have had it for a few years and just didn't heed the signs and warnings when I had episodes.

As odd as this sounds I would maybe go for a second opinion but I need something done before my deductible resets and could cost me thousands...thanks for all your input I do truly appreciate it!!

Cardioversion can be just as risky as an ablation. A-fib is a an irregular heart rythem where blood is not fully pushed out of the heart. A-fib is a signific ant cause of strokes bc the blood starts to clot and that is why people are prescribed warfin a blood thinner. The are several factors that come into play when a-fib is be controlled by either medications or cardioversion to correct it. Cardioversion has a great chance of stroke after the heart has been in a-fib for longer than 24 hrs of onset. A-fib is common and you are so young why would you ever question not having this proceedure? The only down fall of having the ablation is the possibility of them not finding the correct place in the heart to ablade, which sometimes it would require a pacemaker. This is just my 2 cents on the topic, I see this everyday I work or almost everyday.

Cardioversion can be just as risky as an ablation. Cardioversion has a great chance of stroke after the heart has been in a-fib for longer than 24 hrs of onset.

This is not true. No cardiologist would perform a cardioversion on someone who has been in a-fib for longer than 48 hours with out first having them on warfarin for 4-6 weeks. An echo of the heart can also be done to make sure there are no clots.

Good luck Ozzie if you are having the ablation tomorrow. Everything will work out.

I do the anesthesia for these. Relatively safe procedure, we have some excellent cardiologists here and the nice aspect of the procedure is that it a cure for the problem, not just a temporary fix. Not sure if it's you, but we even have one on the schedule for tomorrow morning at 0830!

Hey guys thanks for the well wishes!!! I made it through the procedure n things went great. They were able to trigger my afib so hopefully they got all the problem areas n the issue is in the past. I can't express how much I appreciate all the info, well wishes, n reassurment I received from u all! Norsky it was great to meet you n thanks for stopping in n introducing yourself...it seems odd but that definatly calmed me a bit. Take care all n happy holidays!!!