• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strike Lite or Lazer Pro

Neiko

Looking to get a new auger and just sold my old Strike Lite to a buddy. Perfect scenerio would be a Lite 9 inch Strikemaster. 8 inch is too small.Don't know if I should get the new Strike Lite and a 9 inch auger which is really spendy or just get either a Lazer Mag 10 or Lazer Pro 10. I like the weight of the Lite but I hated the fact it was cold blooded when it got cold. I know Honda is a good engine but is it easier to start then the old ones? Is the Pro that much better then the Mag? They have the free tackle gear on the Lite and Lazer Mag. Anyone also know if Cabelas plan on doing the spend $500 get $75 or more off? God I miss the $150 off.

I will start out by saying that this is just my opinion. I purchased the Lazer Pro two years ago. It is by far the best auger I have ever had. Easy starting, idles nice, and screams through the ice. It is very easy to use and does not have too much torque to where it rips your arms off. I thought about the Honda but have no complaints with my Lazer Pro. Just fired it up tonight. There is a starting sequence that should be used when starting it. It has never failed with 2 pulls when using this sequence recommended by Strikemaster. After seeing my Lazer Pro my buddies both sold their Lazer Mag Expresses and bought the Lazer Pro. Heard some bad things about the throttle cable on the new Honda. No experience with it though.

I have a lazer mag with the solo engine. I've drilled a lot of holes with that thing, and it is the nicest auger I have ever used, other than the lazer pro. That being said, I haven't tried one of the new hondas, and I've never heard a complaint about a honda motor.

Well I decided to go with the Mag Lazer. I felt a 1/2hp isn't that big of a difference plus I get the tackle deal. If it doesn't do the job I will just return it and upgrade. Thanks for all your input.

Looking to get a new auger and just sold my old Strike Lite to a buddy. Perfect scenerio would be a Lite 9 inch Strikemaster. 8 inch is too small.Don't know if I should get the new Strike Lite and a 9 inch auger which is really spendy or just get either a Lazer Mag 10 or Lazer Pro 10.

Strikemaster hasnt had a 9" drill bit unit for several years now. So unless you can find one somewhere or a use one your out of luck on the 9".

I got it at Cabelas and used points for it. As for the 9 inch auger H and H Sports in Maple Lake bought the 9 inch auger inventory from strikemaster a few years ago and sells them on hsolist for $125.

The 9 inch has been discontinued for a while now.. I wonder what the availability for blades will be in a few years for this size?

When I had the 7 and 9 inch Strikemasters a few seasons ago. what I found was that it was hard to find these size blades on the shelf at many of the retailers as most only carried the 8 and 10 inch sizes as regular stock.

We were out at Mille Lacs a few years ago and drilled into some dirty ice that has some sand in it and it severely dulled my brand new 7 inch auger to the point that we could not cut any ice at all. Only got 3 holes drilled before we ran into that dirty ice. Needless to say. We had to come home because we weren't able to find replacement blades anywhere as it was later in the season and stock inventory was low at most of the places out there.

You guys that keep buying SM lazor blades better get some spurs because sooner or later you'll be kicking holes through the ice faster than drilling them. SM makes a great chipper and their motors are very good but those blades get expensive.

You guys that keep buying SM lazor blades better get some spurs because sooner or later you'll be kicking holes through the ice faster than drilling them. SM makes a great chipper and their motors are very good but those blades get expensive.

I have drilled probably 3,000+ holes with my 4 year old lazer and it still cuts like the day I got it. I even bought a set of replacement blades after hearing about this my first year, but I have no need to put them on.

I have a lazer 224 from a friend and a new to me lazer 8". I was pretty surprised to see the blades as expensive as they were ($90 for both sets of blades on the 224). I used a dremel with a fine sandpaper drum laying flat on the sharpened edge. I used a fine ceramic stick flat on the bottom to cut the burr off. The 224 cuts like a dream! I'm sure they stopped making it because of the blade price. But I actually didn't need to put any pressure to drill. Once it starts it actually pulls itself down through the ice.

At $40/pair of blades i think it is worth experimenting with a dremel provided you know a thing or two about sharpening.

Used our Honda Lite on LOW last week. Started and idled great even at -15. We did have the issue of killing mid cut at full throttle. It would cut with out killing at half throttle though. Seemed to make no difference whether we let it warm up 5 minutes or 1 minute. My quess is moisture in the air filter or carb as it would run fine after we kept it in the ice house to warm up and dry out.