• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what line size for gills

knoppers

I was woundering what most use for fishing mostly bluegills, but also crappies. I have used 4 pound in the past, and had a very bad bite during tough times. today I put on 2 pound micro ice, and what a aventure that was. even wearing reading glasses, I could not see this line to make a knot. the first thing I though, if I cannot see it, the fish better not.

3# on all my pannie reels. 2# seems to whispy. I drug up 5 bass last year using a noodle rod and 3# test. The smallest was 17" and the largest was a hair under 20". Took me a long time to get each fish up but the line held up fine. I've caught some toothy critters on 3# quite a few times to. As long as you let the rod and drag do it's job the line will hold up. I only use 4# on my walleye rigs and one with 6# for really heavy lures. I have a hard time with 3# because my eyes are so bad but I make do. 2# would probably be impossible for me.

For panfish I use 2# either berkley micro ice or sufix ice magic. On rods that may see eyes they get 3# sufix ice magic, and my eye rods get 4# micro ice or ice magic. I also have 4# ice braid on a couple rods that I use heavier jigs on.

One trick to using 2 or 3# line is to get colored line I use orange (sufix), blue (micro ice), yellow (stren), or red (cajun ice). It really helps you to see the knot better.

2lb cajun red he red helps with the tired eyes but its a bit harder to see in lowlight situations. but I like the action of the line so I made a sacrifice to get something.

I have also used the 1lb sivler thread and it was no less than adventure and dont even think of using it outside in the wind and cold temps..

As for tying the ultra light stuff if you take a sharpie and mark the last inch or so of line its easier to see it. just a pain doing it eek

I use to use nothing but 2#, now mostly 3#. It is much more forgiving for one. Always used the lighter stuff thinking it was needed for the thinner diameter on picky fish... tweaking presentation will fix that most of the time. cool

I try most all the lines out there. I like Sufix Ice Majic and P-line, hard to beat ol Micro Ice also... Sufix came out with a 3# flourocarbon this year i'll be trying along with the new 832 ice braid grin

I have every panfish setup rigged with 3# P-line. Works great for both crappies and bluegills! I used to go with 2#, but I had more issues with line breaks. After bumping up to 3#, I rarely have any break-offs (unless I've been fishing all day and I haven't retied).

I will still use 2# line on occasion, but only if fish are very finicky or I'm fishing very clear water.