• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What ole for pheasants?

I've had a real good fall, but it seems like I'm wounding too many birds. Since I don't have a dog I need em to go down dead. Alot of em look like they're going down dead but when I get to em they're nowhere to be found. Good distance, from 25-40 yds. Started with #5s, went to #4s and that has helped but I'm still wounding birds. Next step is a choke. At this point i dont care if i miss birds or have to let em get out a little, I'm just tired of wingin em. I don't know what my 870 has. It's a late '80s Wingmaster 2 3/4" only. Also how hard are they to install? Never messed with chokes before.

I don't want this to come off rude, but have you been to the sporting clay range lately? It's usually a good reality check.

I prefer full choke. Always hunted with a REAL old 870 wingmaster. My dad made his own loads - #4 copper ...Have to let the birds fly early season so there is some meat left on the bird - but perfect for late season.

Also, PATTERN YOUR GUN. You might learn something.

I agree that patterning the gun will be very educational. If you are using steel in a full choke you will be amazed at how the pattern falls apart after 30 yards or so. You may not need a new barrel once you test out what you're using. Google patterning a shotgun and you'll get quick instructions on how to do it.

Chokes simply screw in to the end of your barrel. Very simple to change. A quick look at your barrel and you should be able to see if you have a choke.

If you don't have the threads for a choke, apparently it's ~$60 to add threads.

I should add, i only use Full CHoke when not on land requiring steel shot, then you should use a choke appropriate for steel - like a modified.

No offense to IceHawk but IMO you don't need to go that far. I have downed a lot of birds with my old 2 3/4 inch Wingmaster. It has a modified choke and works just fine. If what you have is a full choke you should be OK with lead shot but have a tough time with steel. Pattern the gun and shoot some trap. And then quit thinking about it so much and just put the gun up and pull the trigger.

Bobbo, you have mail.

Just wondering, why would shooting clays help? I'm not having any trouble hitting birds. Actually I've been shooting way better this fall than I ever have (knock on wood). And no, I haven't shot clays since I was about 16 (12 years ago)

Also I should add, I'll be getting a new auto before next fall so I don't wanna drop much $ into the old Wingmaster, since it's pretty much gonna be a backup/loaner. Id like to keep the project under $100. Oh shoulda added, I sling lead at pheasants but also do a lot of waterfowling as well so quite a bit of steel goes through the gun.

Started with #5s, went to #4s and that has helped but I'm still wounding birds. Next step is a choke. At this point i dont care if i miss birds or have to let em get out a little, I'm just tired of wingin em. I don't know what my 870 has. It's a late '80s Wingmaster 2 3/4" only. Also how hard are they to install? Never messed with chokes before.

I just shot some trap on saturday before a tournament to "freshen up" a bit and it helped me regain a respect for healthy shooting distances. Using regular trap loads 2 3/4" 7 1/2 shot knocking down clays out at 40-50 yards. There should be no reason that #4 steel wouldn't drop a bird at 40-50 yards unless you have full choke in.

Choke tubes (if you have a gun with removable tubes) should simply screw in and out. My dad had an old wingmaster pump that had a 30" barrel and a fixed full choke. Thats the gun I shot thru high school using lead shot. But if you shoot steel and are getting shots in that 30-40 yard range you can do a Modified or IC to cover your bases a little more. grin

Most Americans shoot over choked guns. For whatever reason, There is probably never a reason to shoot full choke until late in the season. It is much easier to hit with a more open choke and the patterns tend to be more evenly spread. Somebody mentioned patterning your gun. Great advice. I learned that shooting the IC choke in my over under was a horrible choice and now have both barrels choked modified as that is what works best in that gun. There is no hard and fast rule as all weapons are different. Spend the time, check it out