• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do young deer get to breed?

Many doe fawns will be bred in December or January.

If the age structure of bucks in any given area is way out of wack (not many mature bucks compared to yearling bucks) then some one and a half and two and a half year old bucks will do some of the breeding.

I saw a 2 1/2 year old 6 pt breed a doe this fall. first time I have seen that in the North Woods.

I suspect that the 2 1/2 year olds do a lot of breeding in the Cook area.

I would say in the areas of MN with moderate to higher deer densities, its 1 1/2 year olds that do a good portion of the breeding. This is even more true after the gun season. Ive seen as many little bucks on does as I have big ones over the years.

Agreed on the yearlings doing most of the breeding.

I'm surprised at a 6 ptr being considered a 2 1/2 year-old. I realize it can happen, but it's pretty rare in our part of the world, around central MN anyway. Lot of yearlings are small 8 ptrs here. Almost never less then 8 as a 2 1/2 year-old & then if it is, he's probably a 7.

BigBucks,

I got a realy nice look at him after my daugter put a long shot on him 3 hours later. He was bigger bodied than my 8 pointer I shot the day before. He had a little heavier rack but narrower. He also had bumps where next year he would have been an 8 point.

We have no agricutlure at all in the area South of Cook where we hunt.

I had watched him around 10:30 AM and later my daughter joined me in my blind and he and his girlfriend came on back through the same area. Something was not right with the picture when I was watching him at 180 yards. Turns out it was his size body and the mass of the 6 point rack through me off.

He was a nice bodied deer-for his age class.

I believe that the 2 1/2 year olds do alot of breeding in our area. I have never seen a spike or 1 1/2 year old casing a doe in our area.

Not scientific by any means

Steve

I had a spike hot behind a doe grunting all the way in this fall. Smoked them both! This is a low deer density area and our party also shot a glorified fork 6pt that was atleast 2.5 yrs old and weighed 165lbs. Many small 6pt racks on 2.5 yr olds up nort!

i raise deer and i would say that half of my doe fawns get bred every year, i have noticed that if they are atleast 6 months old and over 55 pounds they can be bred. last year i had one bred in february and had a single fawn aug 18th. also buck fawns can also breed does, i doubt it happens in the wild very often but i have had a buck fawn in with doe fawns and get bred.