• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip ups

Webby

I want to try tip ups this year for the first time. I am looking for any advice I can get. Anything from what tip ups are the best, to how to set them up and fish with them. I have been doing some research but would like to get more. Thanks

They all serve the same function.

For convenience, the Frabill Pro Thermals are hard to beat.

-cork for the hook

-fast wind up

-big bait clip

-tackle box

-already insulated (no need for a chunk of foam or carpet for a hole cover)

-stacks nicely in a standard bucket

But these tip-ups are made up of almost entirely plastic.......

Plastic + Cold = broken stuff

If you fish often and don't baby your equipment (I don't), they will only last a few years (if that...)

For true quality (but lacking the convenience), Beaver Dams (originals/arctic fisherman) are number one.

They will literally last a lifetime. If something does need to replaced or fixed, they have repair facilities to accomodate.

With quality also comes cost......

-Hope this helps!

To chime in:

I noticed the round Tipups are about 10 inches diameter. Does the hole need to be 10 inches? Why are the Beavers around $50 each when others are $15? I have a StrikerMaster 6" manual.

I too am new and want to start this year.

Thank you.

I use mostly HT Polar tip ups. They are inexpensive, smooth, easy to maintain, and durable (only way I've had them break is if they get run over). I also have a Beaver Dam and it's nice but if you're just starting out you don't need to spend the money on them.

I never used the round style that covers your hole but I'm sure they do keep the hole from icing over. I use sample carpet squares with a slit cut in them for hole covers and that works for me.

Setting them up: fill the spool with cheap Dacron or some form of heavy tip up line. I think I use something around 40 pound test. You want to use something thick enough to grab onto and handle easily.

On my walleye tip ups I tie a 3' or so leader out of 6 pound mono or fluoro with a split shot or two and about a #8 treble hook.

For northern pike I use a wire leader - any style will work with probably a #6 or #4 treble. I keep it pretty simple and it works well enough for me. Some states you have to add beads or a spinner blade to make the rig legal.

In generall you'll probably be setting your baits within 6 inches to 2 feet off the bottom or that same distance above weeds for walleyes. Northerns can be anywhere from near the bottom to just under the ice.

Hope that helps. Always fun to look up and see a FLAG!

Tucker

Round tip ups work fine on 6 inch holes. After some trial and error, I have ended up exclusively using the round thermal tip ups. The thermal aspect just outweighs the other factors. They p me off at times with the line jumping off the guide since it isn't enclosed, but other than that, no issues. Mine are 10 years old, still working...Beaver dams are great quality, just more hassle.

To chime in:

I noticed the round Tipups are about 10 inches diameter. Does the hole need to be 10 inches? Why are the Beavers around $50 each when others are $15? I have a StrikerMaster 6" manual.

I too am new and want to start this year.

Thank you.

blackdog1101,

you might want to read page 9 of the regulations book. up to three trebles are now legal in minnesota and they don't need a spinner or bead. they are now considered part of a single tackle configuration. total length from first hook to last hook can't be greater then 9 inches.

I have the thermal tipups and they do not fall through a 10' hole. I have a 10" Jiffy auger and they just hang on the lip of the hole, but do stay on top of the ice. You may have better luck than I do as far as them insulating the hole and staying ice free. I think, in my situation, they are too close to the edge and a little cold air gets into the hole. Make sure you do not use superbraid lines. With no stretch, they will cut your fingers nearly to the bone instantly if a big fish decided to take a quick run, which they often do. No matter which you choose, always set the flag on the upwind side of the post so the wind doesn't give you false flags. As far as depths, it varies from species to species, but imagine, for the most part, that you want the bait at the same depth you would jig for that species. Northerns, on the other hand, can vary by depth ranges you are fishing. I've had the best luck fishing a foot to two feet off the bottom in 20 or more feet of water. When you get to ten feet raise it to about three plus feet off the bottom. In less than six or seven feet, go about halfway of the bottom. One thing we always to with tipups is to pinch the tails off the minnows. Makes them work harder to move without setting off false flags.

One other tip I forgot: mark the depth you set the tip-up at so when you catch a fish you can return it to the same depth. I use those tiny little red and white clip on bobbers they sell in the ice fishing dept. I think they usually label them as tip up line markers.

Tucker

Another tip for tip-up fishing...

Get yourself some coat buttons (not huge buttons, but ones that you can set your tip up to the same depth as where you started. Depending on your tip up you may need buttons small enough to fit through the hole (beaver dam tip ups) so you can wind up your line, or if you have thermals/HT, you can slide the line out of the guide and wind them on. I've also used slip bobber stop knots as well and they work fine too. HT sells really small bobbers to use as markers, but I have not had very much success with those lasting very long.

For northerns, I have gone to 30 pound mono leaders about 3 feet in length, tied directly to vinyl covered braid. Couple of split shot about 18 inches or so above the hook to take the sucker down and a kahle hook tied directly to the mono.

Walleyes I use 10 pound mono tied directly and a #6 hook with a couple of split shot as well.

Steve

Test your tip up indoors make sure the tension is light and that it trips well and spins when on either side of the armatur you may even mark the side it spins well on. Details matter if the bite is light and the bite can be light on any day for any species. I always bring a tip up even when I am fishing for crappies.