• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Blanks

I've done some investigating and I really want to try and build a solid rod for jigging lake trout.

It seems there are ony a few options out there to get blanks from and it seems none of them offer what I'm looking for.

I want a MH rod, with a fast action (I think... I want some flex at the top and a hefty backbone) and I want it to to be 34" in length.

Anyone know where I can find a blank of this caliber?

Thanks!

I have been using Forecast E-glass, 6ft blanks. Cut the tip to the action you want and then cut it to the lenght you want. I will look to see what the blank number is.

Blank# SPG721-GB. May be an old number but they should be able to match it for you

Why glass over graphite?

glass is stronger than graphite when it comes to larger fish. the trade off is glass is heavier then graphite. the exception to this is musky rods. big musky rods will be graphite because if you are casting all day the weight will be less and thus won't make you sore and tired from casting like a glass rod would. since you are going to use this rod for ice fishing lake trout the weight of glass wouldn't make a difference plus the glass rod will give you better back bone over a graphite rod.

I wanted to use gaphite at first also until I started asking people what kind of rod they prefered. The guys that I talked to that do alot of trout fishing like the glass rods. They said that the graphite seem to brake easyer. I asked a few other rod builders about it and they all told me to use glass for the trout rods. That is all I have been using and so far they all like them.

TB up in Blaine has a very nice solid graphite rod that they designed specifically for lakers. I've been doing the fiberglass rod thing for 5 years. But now that I tried the TB rods, I find that I don't even touch the old fiberglass rods. Much crisper action. Much lighter to work with. They rock.

Something else to consider with glass vs graphite is durability. Glass will take more abuse than graphite. If sensitivity is an issue, then yeah graphite. My understanding with a jigging stick for Lakers sensitivity is not the case.

TB up in Blaine has a very nice solid graphite rod that they designed specifically for lakers. I've been doing the fiberglass rod thing for 5 years. But now that I tried the TB rods, I find that I don't even touch the old fiberglass rods. Much crisper action. Much lighter to work with. They rock.

Those TB rods are rediculously expensive. Maybe one day I'll be able to justify $150+ on a rod, but not right now (hence, why want to build one).

Also, they don't have a spinning rod long enough. Their only option at spinning rod is 28".

thornes proffesional glass blank is cheap.....like money cheap not quality cheap. I also have some blanks you can check out of you want. they are 42" and solid glass.

I can't seem to find this blank on their web site.

I'd love to check out your blanks you offer Eric, but I need some tip on how to find them.

Thanks!

Something else to consider with glass vs graphite is durability. Glass will take more abuse than graphite. If sensitivity is an issue, then yeah graphite. My understanding with a jigging stick for Lakers sensitivity is not the case.

Thanks Upnorth! I'll have to consider a glas blank.

A. t bros blank:

http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Thorne-Brothers-Custom-Ice-Rod-Blanks-6p23124.htm

the one you would want is the 72" fiberglass in the drop down menu. its 15 bucks..

B. I dont have a HSOforum. So you would have to either come to me, or I would have to come to you. I might be up in duluth right after the holidays, if that happens I can bring a few up for you to check out.

The graphite equivalent is gonna be mucho denero compared to its glass counterpart.

I've also use 7 foot Batson/Forecast E-glass blanks cut to my or customer preference. I have the SPG844GB,7'0", 10-17lbs. 1/8-3/4oz, 8.0 tip. Mod MH. These aren't fast action but they are durable and inexpensive.

All purpose glass spinning rod/very durable/great for kids

Ditto on all points.

I've built 50+ trout rods. Friends have graphite rods that are 10-15 yrs old and still going but also know others that failed the first time out. No interest in finding out with a good laker on the line so I use solid fiberglass. Am going to test a solid carbon blank this winter.

Least expensive solid fiberglass blank is a full length baitcasting rod from the 50's at a garage sale or from grandpa's attic. Strip it and recycle it.

I have started to acquire tools and supplies to build rods and I too want to start by making a trout rod or two. My issue is I have never fished with a glass ice rod, as far as I know... all of my ice rods are graphite. I'm worried that I will be disappointed with the action if I order glass. Maybe it would be worth the 15$ just to check out the action compared to graphite.

The trout rod I bought last year is a Jason Mitchell 38" (pretty sure its graphite) and I love that rod, I would like a longer handle and a total length of around 44-48".