• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Setting an Auger so it idles. Help.

Agronomist_at_IA

When your Auger is running good will it stay running at idle for long periods without having to give it a touch of gas? I've always had mine running good, but would have to give it a touch of throttle between holes so it wouldn't kill. I'm guessing if I get it set right it should stay running at idle without having to do anything.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is some good info. I picked up a free model 30 that hadn't been run in years and it needed some carb adjustments. Luckily my neighbor knew the proper adjustments and was able to get it purring er I mean popping for me. He did basically the exact thing that was posted here.

Now after 5 years this model 30 is coming out of retirement and looks to be ready to drill a few hundred more holes. I believe the one I picked up is 20+ years old.

Hydro, have you had the idle speed up from tipping the engine towards the carb and die if tipped the other way? I'm not talking alot either just slightly. My model 30 does this for some reason.Any ideas? I got it tuned today pretty good i noticed that the throttle spring sure looks wimpy and has a delay from full throttle back to idle.normal?

Update to my post. I talked to the shop and jiffy today. I learned something from both calls.

Jiffy: the older ones have a different brand motor (tecumseh) then the newer ones like mine. From what I've read it seems like there are significantly more problems with the newer model 30's. I talked with jiffy for a while simply trying figure out if this is common.

Never really got an answer. She kept saying she cant control labor costs at the shop etc, which I understand. She wasnt trying to hear that my point was that I'm spending money on a auger that was bought new and maintained properly and hasn't burned one gallon of fuel. For me it's the principle etc but she was fairly defensive about it. Not one "I'm sorry for your inconvinience" or anything resembling "customer service." Keep in mind I was composed and calm and was really just looking for an answer to if this happens often with the new ones (if it is a common problem, I wanted to get this one fixed and upgrade to a propane auger or something that I can use for ever like I hear people talking about on this site). I also get complaint calls fairly often at work so I'm very conscious about how I handle these situations when I am the customer. Could have been a bad day for her and I'm not going to let that bother me. But after a few minutes of the unpleasantness....

She told me to have repair shop call them. I'm not sure but maybe there will be a "make good." We'll see how this plays out.

Repair shop: he said not worth the labor costs to take carb apart etc since these newer carbs are only 32 dollars so its cheaper to put a new one in. He went into detail about after cleaning and adjusting the carb and trying a new diaphragm, that he still had the same issues I was having and it's just easier to replace then take apart and diagnose. I also sensed that he wasn't too keen on the newer models. He said he's calling jiffy tomorrow to talk to the person I spoke with today.

I told him in the long run its not a huge deal and that I'm not upset with his labor cost etc as its not his fault. I spend way too much money on fishing gear as it is and I just want it fixed so I can go up north next weekend and find ice!

I apologize for being off topic but figured that it was relevant to the discussion.

Oh yea, and I got the power head cover in the mail today that the rep from the show promised!

Once the low speed needle adjustment has the motor running smooth, just increase the idle speed a little and it won't kill between holes.

I tried that but then the auger starts to spin. I'm thinking the clutch might have a problem with sticking or something. Thinking I'll have to tear it apart and check it out.

Update to my post. I talked to the shop and jiffy today. I learned something from both calls.

Jiffy: the older ones have a different brand motor (tecumseh) then the newer ones like mine. From what I've read it seems like there are significantly more problems with the newer model 30's. I talked with jiffy for a while simply trying figure out if this is common.

Never really got an answer. She kept saying she cant control labor costs at the shop etc, which I understand. She wasnt trying to hear that my point was that I'm spending money on a auger that was bought new and maintained properly and hasn't burned one gallon of fuel. For me it's the principle etc but she was fairly defensive about it. Not one "I'm sorry for your inconvinience" or anything resembling "customer service." Keep in mind I was composed and calm and was really just looking for an answer to if this happens often with the new ones (if it is a common problem, I wanted to get this one fixed and upgrade to a propane auger or something that I can use for ever like I hear people talking about on this site). I also get complaint calls fairly often at work so I'm very conscious about how I handle these situations when I am the customer. Could have been a bad day for her and I'm not going to let that bother me. But after a few minutes of the unpleasantness....

She told me to have repair shop call them. I'm not sure but maybe there will be a "make good." We'll see how this plays out.

Repair shop: he said not worth the labor costs to take carb apart etc since these newer carbs are only 32 dollars so its cheaper to put a new one in. He went into detail about after cleaning and adjusting the carb and trying a new diaphragm, that he still had the same issues I was having and it's just easier to replace then take apart and diagnose. I also sensed that he wasn't too keen on the newer models. He said he's calling jiffy tomorrow to talk to the person I spoke with today.

I told him in the long run its not a huge deal and that I'm not upset with his labor cost etc as its not his fault. I spend way too much money on fishing gear as it is and I just want it fixed so I can go up north next weekend and find ice!

I apologize for being off topic but figured that it was relevant to the discussion.

Oh yea, and I got the power head cover in the mail today that the rep from the show promised!

I've always had a very good experiance with Jiffy, clam, vexilar, and marcum on ice fishing gear stuff. Since those were the first products I bought when getting into ice fishing, I've never tried anything else.

Wasn't there some sort of issue with Jiffy carbs a few years ago? I seem to recall folks experiencing similar issues, but I don't recall exactly what it was or if it is the same as younggun is having.

Does anyone recall?

I've had the clutch springs replaced on mine twice now. Once two years ago and another time longer than that. They break from time to time and they are a bugger to do. I can't remember the specifics but I remember being pretty mad by the time I was done. And when it goes back together I'd throw some loctite on stuff. The second time I did it I had one nut come loose after a couple months of use and ruined a trip.

Dropped mine off at a local jiffy dealer since I don't have time to fix it before first ice. He fixed it for me. I was right in my thinking. Something was wrong with the clutch he fixed it and set the carb said its running great. Something about a pin has slid down and was preventing the clutch from working correctly. Guessing when it fell out of the back of the truck going down the highway it must have jiggled something loose a bit at the end of last season. Now I don't feel so bad that I couldn't get the carb set without the auger spinning.

I pray that everyone who owns a Jiffy does this!

My Jiffy joke is three pulls bah bah kill repeat process for 20 minutes until it's warmed up then drill one hole.

Really? I've never had to pull mine over three times to start it. That is even after sitting in the corner all summer. Sounds like you might need to take it in for a check up.

Update to my model 30 problems. The new carb and gasket that the shop ordered didn't make things any better. After more diagnosing, he found that the 2 bolts that hold the exhaust on are missing. Apparently there is a clamp or ring in addition to the 2 bolts. Sounds like this clamp was the only thing holding the exhaust on in the beginning. We'll see what jiffy says about this. Either the bolts were never there or they both slid out which is hard to believe. Either way not cool on an auger with less then a gallons worth of use.

Update to my model 30 problems. The new carb and gasket that the shop ordered didn't make things any better. After more diagnosing, he found that the 2 bolts that hold the exhaust on are missing. Apparently there is a clamp or ring in addition to the 2 bolts. Sounds like this clamp was the only thing holding the exhaust on in the beginning. We'll see what jiffy says about this. Either the bolts were never there or they both slid out which is hard to believe. Either way not cool on an auger with less then a gallons worth of use.

Man I feel sorry for you. I would just see if Jiffy would be willing to trade it in for a new one or something. It happens that every once in awhile you get a lemon. I hope things go better for you.

All I can say is my model 30 is actually running better right now then when I bought it new and took it out of the box. I hate to say it, but I think that after about 10 years of ice fishing I finally got it "broke in"

Yeah it is. I had two rules before I bought an auger. It had to be 8in. and I didn't want any plastic on it. I know they make really good abs plastic, but I wanted old school metal with sub zero temps. Yea the Model 30 is a touch heavy but I can't compalin about it.

I have a model 30 I bought new in 1998. If the old girl ever idles on two consecutive days it would be amazing. set the carb any way you want. when the weather changes so do the idle characteristics. I love the old girl. can hardly lift it, doesnt idle for s$%t, starts on the third pull every time and has never let me down.

I have a model 30 I bought new in 1998. If the old girl ever idles on two consecutive days it would be amazing. set the carb any way you want. when the weather changes so do the idle characteristics. I love the old girl. can hardly lift it, doesnt idle for s$%t, starts on the third pull every time and has never let me down.

I had that problem. Just took it to a guy that handles jiffy augers and actually sounded like he knew what he was doing. I messed with the Idle screw and other settings. Even took it to a sall engine repair guy last year. The thing always ran fine just wouldn't stay at idle. You'd always have to pump the throttle to keep it going between holes. Well, he told me what I thought. the clutch had some issue. He fixed it set the idle and other things. Now it idles awsome. It runs better now then when it was out of the box.