• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auto shotgun recommendations

A 3.5" turkey load will compare to most of the dangerouse game big bores IMO. I hate pulling the trigger with them.

I'll take 20 shots with the 3.5"ers over one 7mm Mag laugh

I have a Beretta Extrema... I love it. Mine is the earlier model with out the K.O. so I can't speak to the newest versions which are supposed to be even kinder to the shoulder. I bought mine brand new when the Extrema 2's came out and paid $900 for it. If you can find one of those in good shape, gently experienced it would be a good gun for you.

Another poster had asked about shims and I am pretty sure mine came with shims.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've hunted with and shot clays with my brother's sbe2. No doubt an awesome gun. Almost went out and got one. Then stoeger put out the 3500. Less then half the cost. I'm not gonna pretend it's like a high end gun, it's not. It is where it counts though. I found no difference in my shooting and it never jams, and cycles everything. Hunting out of a canoe in little rice lakes with my lab it gets very dirty and I don't clean it as much as I should during season. I hunt waterfowl, grouse/pheasant, and turkey. Shot many clays. Not one issue yet. Figured I'd put that out there for anyone that might be shopping for a reliable auto on a budget. Just remember to break it in with a few boxes of magnum loads and you're set.

Was just looking this morning for an auto preferably in waterfowl camo. I need to pick one up before next season and figure now is a good time. Don't really want to spend over 1,000 though. Would it be smart to find what I want and purchase it from an on-line retailer? They seem to be alot more competitive on pricing.

Surewood that Stoeger 3500 in Max-4 looks like a nice gun. Maybe can't go wrong for around 600 bucks. Have read alot of very positive reviews for this gun from guys shooting several hundred rounds of all different types of loads. How long have you had yours?

Fishersofmen remember to add in the transfer prices when shopping on line FFL's will vary in transfer prices also.

I have the stoger 2000 and from my experience it is a great gun and the 3500 is even better.

Another gun to check out is the versa max from Remington.

Last May I picked mine up. I shoot and hunt more then the average person. Basically I'll put about three seasons worth of wear and tear on my shotgun vs the average hunter. Nearly every time out waterfowl hunting it ends up in my soaking wet case at the bottom of the canoe when I paddle out and the trip in the truck. It's been wet in temps a little below freezing and hasn't failed. After duck hunting I'll take it grouse hunting wet and dirty and cycle 2 3/4 without an issue. My review so far would be best affordable auto. Five years from now will be the real test. If it's still functioning at this level it will be the best bang for the buck on a shotgun I've ever had.

I have 8 family and friends that hunt with Beretta autos and no problems that I am aware of. Mine is a 390 that goes back to 1996 (17 years of hard use on trap, grouse, ducks, geese, pheasants and deer) and has over 10,000 rounds through it and it has been perfect. In my opinion, buy whatever auto you want as long as it says Beretta on it!

I did fondle some at Pheasant Fest this weekend and I sure liked the new A400. But it is hard to convince the wife I need a new shotgun when I havent had a lick of trouble with mine. So I am guessing it may be awhile before I get one.

The A300 was nice too and at only around $600, that is pretty affordable.