• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auto shotgun recommendations

Wondering what you guys shoot and how it works for you. Any cycling issues or anything else that you don't like? I know 90% of shotgun selection is feel. I've shouldered everything from sbe2s to a400s to 11/87s and a few more benellis and barettas and they all felt good. $ isn't a huge issue as this should be the last scattergun i buy for a long, long time. As for background info, I've been using an 870 all my life. Im upgrading cuz my 870 only shoots 2 3/4" and I want something thatll cycle 3 1/2" without punishing my shoulder. It's mainly a duck/goose/pheasant/grouse (in that order) gun and will be used in all conditions from 80 degree openers to -5 snowing/sleeting last day of goose season. Thanks for any input!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a beretta guy, I have 3 and all of them function flawlessly. That said, the winchester superx3, browning maxxus, and benelli sbe2 are all solid guns. I just fell in love with the berettas, I believe they are the best, most dependable gas operated gun on the market, but they are a bit on the spendy side.

I am a benelli guy. I have been shooting M1 super 90 for about 15 years. Thousands of shells through that sweet shooting gun. Not one jam or misfire in any condition. It has killed turkeys, ducks, geese, pheasants, grouse.... It does not shoot 3.5" but the 3" load is just about as good. My next gun will be the SBE.

It's mainly a duck/goose/pheasant/grouse (in that order) gun and will be used in all conditions from 80 degree openers to -5 snowing/sleeting last day of goose season.

Winchester SX3. I've put mine through all that and it continues to perform flawlessly with 2 3/4 light trap loads up to 3 1/2 goose loads.

Dont know if it helps or not but I'll clean mine once during the season, and run no oil on the parts at all for that 2nd half of the season (the colder half) and have shot roosters in as cold as -6 degrees out trapsing through cattail sloughs and waist deep snow.

I am a benelli guy. I have been shooting M1 super 90 for about 15 years. Thousands of shells through that sweet shooting gun. Not one jam or misfire in any condition. It has killed turkeys, ducks, geese, pheasants, grouse.... It does not shoot 3.5" but the 3" load is just about as good. My next gun will be the SBE.

I have the same gun and have had the same experience. I like how you can disassemble the gun in about 10 seconds to clean it.

I now have owned my sb2 for 2 years with no problems at all. I use it for everything from trap to goose hunting with 3 1/2" rounds. I had a x2 prior to my sb2 and had many problems when the temp git below freezing. I tried all the tricks people/ gun smiths told me but nothing worked. The sb2 I have found has much less recoil than most, I believe its due to the limbsaver recoil reduction system. But the ax2 felt the best in my opinion.

I have a browning gold that is strictly my waterfowl gun and love it but I really wouldnt want to carry it all day for ditch chickens or forest pigeons, I also have a stoger that I use and it is more user friendly when it comes to that sort of thing. I woulod look at the SB@ even though I don't own one yet.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys! I think i might have to take another look at the sx3. I do love the benellis and berettas but I also like the $1000 for the sx3 compared to $1600 for the higher brands. Watched a video on Winchesters HSOforum of a guy dove hunting in argentina with 4 20 ga sx3s, had a couple guys reloading for him. Shot for 14 hrs, over 16,000 rounds, and 15,208 doves killed. Impressive!!!

Farley, how does the sx3 handle those 3 1/2" loads? I doubt I'll shoot em much, but when they are needed I don't wanna add the extra cost of shoulder surgery or retina reattachment. smile

It cycles them very well and the recoil is not bad at all IMO. I have two buddies that shoot SBE and they like them. I also have 2 buddies that shoot the SX3 and they like them as well. Like you I liked the price better and it felt comfortable when I shouldered it in the store.

I have a Beretta Extrema2 and love the way it shoots and it has never failed me. I was in the same boat as you about 8 years ago when I bought it and tried everything. The only one that came close was the SX2 and I wouldn't have felt bad at all if that was the gun I had chosen and the SX3 looks like a great gun too.

You have a lot of great shot guns to choose from today, and the multiseason/multi-load performance of these just keeps getting better and better. I personally mostly have used a Benelli M90 or SB2 the last 20 yrs. My M90 has failed me in sub-zero temps, but I credit that to using an oil I shouldn't have to protect it from moisture. So far the SB2 has yet to dissapoint. I bought my son a Franchi for nearly half the price of the Benelli and have also been very impressed with his guns performance thus far.

I now have owned my sb2 for 2 years with no problems at all. I use it for everything from trap to goose hunting with 3 1/2" rounds. I had a x2 prior to my sb2 and had many problems when the temp git below freezing. I tried all the tricks people/ gun smiths told me but nothing worked. The sb2 I have found has much less recoil than most, I believe its due to the limbsaver recoil reduction system. But the ax2 felt the best in my opinion.

I know your SX2 sucked eggs and the same goes for that Franchi you had. I had a 935 Mossberg that sucked as well. It was a one shot gun. Pile wouldn't cycle nothing for some reason. Got rid of it and bought a rifle.

I now shoot a Beretta Extrema and love it! It has failed me once, and thats because my dog knocked my gun over and filled the chamber with mud and sand. Otherwise I was shooting in below freezing temps here in MN and it would cycle even with a little ice built up in the chamber.

Twisters SBII is nice as well. Can't go wrong with Beretta or Benelli IMO. Spend the cash and buy a nice gun and you won't regret it.

I will most likly buy a Beretta A400 Explor Unico with a KO.

I have shot both the Benelli's and the Beretta's and the Limbsaver on the benelli is nice but shoot a Kick off on a Beretta and you will be amazed.

Money buys you quality is my motto.

I have been shooting a Sx2 since they hit the market and have never had a problem. I also like the higher rib it is more like my high ribbed trap guns.

We're not saying they're all bad just his.... and another friend had one who no longer has it because of the same reasons as Mr. Twister. I also know of one other person with the same problem.

I m not so sure about a super black eagle 11 not kicking hard ,stuff a three and half inch magnum turkey load in it and wack the trigger once and tell me how that goes for ya ,after my expierience ill say dont do it!you will come away saying a thee inch is plenty. other than that a good gun ,light,reliable and cool looking.picked up a Vinci2 years ago and im real happy with it, only thing is that safety is kinda funky till ya get used to it,they put it ahead of the trigger gaurd ,kinda looks like a lawyers idea to me.

I really like my Benellie Montefeltro.

It is my first semi-auto so I might be a bit biased. It doesn't accommodate 3.5" shells but it is light and has killed turkeys, ducks, geese, pheasants and grouse.

Very little recoil and easy to shoulder. It's a feather compared to my 870 beat up gun.

SBE if I was more into waterfowl, but a Benelli Montefeltro/Ultra Light/Legacy is pretty tough to beat in the upland field IMO.

I haven't shot the newest models, but I also did go from a 870 Wingmaster, and went to a 3" Browning Gold, that I still have after many years. The nice thing is that it fits EXACTLY and comes up EXACTLY as my 870 did. I love the fit for me.

The only issue I have had is if I put too much oil on (I used to oil the he11 out of my 870) or if it gets too dry and out in the fields goose hunting. I now use Break Free and make sure to clean the recoil spring in the stock every other year, and it cycles fast and furious smile

Interested to see how the new A5 works - I never liked the old model with the rings and carp, but if gas operated, I might take a second look wink

SX2 is much like the Gold, but stepsons grip is a tad wider and I like the narrower. But these are all older models I am talking about, so not much help unless you get used wink Good luck, lots of nice shotguns out there! From talking to folks in the know, the top dog Berretta is the cats meow...

I would recommend a benelli. I have an Sx3 and I have had lots of problems with it. Everything from not cycling shells through, the firing pin not hitting the shell hard enough. I even had the butt loosen (and nearly fall off when I was hunting) Lots of my buddies shoot this gun and they have had problems with it too. Not too mention it is gas powered so you gotta clean it more often then the inertia driven benelli.