• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Skunks

There are just a TON of skunks running around my place lately.

Here's the weird thing. A good friend of mine called me to his place early this morning. I walked into his garage and it looked trashed. Stuff was all over the place. He has a suspended ceiling and he tells me "Look up there." Like a sucker i poked my head up between the tiles and took a peek.

There's a skunk in his garage ceiling.

We put a couple of 2 x 6's up there and made a ramp for mister Le Pew to walk down. Hopefully tonight he'll decide he doesn't like his current home and walks down them. If he doesn't, aside from shooting him and stinking up the garage, how does a guy get a skunk down from a suspended ceiling?????

Quote:
If he doesn't, aside from shooting him and stinking up the garage, how does a guy get a skunk down from a suspended ceiling?????

Verrry carefully.... wink

But seriously, if he doesn't come down, I'd try using some cat food sprinkled down the plank..

Hear ya, shot 14 now this fall, the last 2 were kinda smart, so I led them out of the barn with a catfood trail, I'm concerned it aint over as these temps warm up here again I don't doubt I will add to that 14 pile, add in a wood chuck,opossum, and 7 coons and my yard has been a slaughterhouse this year, at my mom/dad's over deer weekend I heard some rustling around in her garbage can in the garage and you bet a skunk fell off the workbench right in there, lol told dad hey one of your cats fell in the garbage can and can't get out he goes out there lol, he nearly reached in lol.

Would a body trap work better to keep them from spraying up the area trapped. Had some in a leg hold couldn't get close stunk up whole area even my rubber boots smelled from it.

Nope, I've gotten plenty of them in a 220 and the area didn't smell it's freshest for quite a while.

Don't know what's wrong with you youngsters! When I long lined I'd catch up to 150 skunks a year...sure the first on of the year made me gag a little but here is how I took care of them...leg hold trap...I always wore hip boots, even on dryland for scent control...22 rimfire pistol on my hip...walk slowly up to the skunk...talk to the skunk if necessary to calm it down...then "quickly" step on it's tail with one foot and pop it between the eye's with the pistol...keep your foot on the tail till it's done spraying...all spray is limited to a 3 to 4 inch area that you can easily dig out with your trowel if you don't want to pop the stake and move the set...but I still usually moved the set a few feet as it was just as quick.

I never did this........but........my grandfather always told me to grab them by the tail, pick them up, and pop em in the head with the .22. According to him they can't spray without weight on their hind legs.

When I was trapping I had a pair of rubber/leather gauntlets I'd wear for drowning mink. Gramps gave them to me. He told me to wear them when picking up the skunk so when he starts to bite and scratch it won't go through the gauntlet. Again, I never did this.

I don't know if there's any truth to this, but I do remember a couple of times where he would dig them out of the burn barrel by the tail and shoot them. He was kind of a tough old fart, bless him.