• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One lung???

LOTWSvirgin

A friend and I were out hunting this morning and he shot one behind the shoulder just like he is suppose too the problem is it was high behind the shoulder at a high angle I am sure he took out only one lung He knew and told me right away that he was worried it was high so we left it for 3 hours then started to look for blood we followed blood all the way to where the buck was bedded then we bumped him he didnt tear out all that hard almost think he went back down by the sound of it but dont know Oh ya the buck was at 10 yards when he shot it and my friend was about 15 ft up in the stand

Give it another hour or 2, it will expire. Especially if it walked off slow. I would go with an arrow knocked and binoculars. One guy looking for blood, one guy looking for a bedded deer at all times. You will probably be able to walk up to it fairly close if it is hit that bad. Is the broadhead still stuck in him?

On a steep angle like that, your aiming point is higher on the deer. Sounds like a pretty good hit to me. Wait as long as you can, then go pick him up before it gets dark out.

Yes as far as we know the arrow is in him never found it along the trail of blood we followed so I will guess it is and no it didnt slowly walk out just kind of a slower trot if you get what I mean I dunno about chasing it today yet again if we push him again he will hit open plowed bean fields and be gone

Do what you feel you should, it is cold enough to wait until tomorrow, but if you do not find him then, chances are you will not find him at all. I'm just thinking about that broad head still being in the deer, it also must be bleeding pretty good because the blood has to be coming from the top of the deer. How good is the blood trail, how much was in the bed? Did the bed smell funky?

I would rather lose him cause he moved on on his own rather then bump him and lose him if that makes sense Yes you would think he is hit pretty good if he is bleeding from such a high hit so well it seemed like if he went down hill it bled good flat land it was drops but big drops flat land was so so bed had a couple good sized puddleds after he jumped there was blood right a way followed for 5 ft or so just to see its a 2 inch rage in it so it should have a good hole if it worked the way it should of He shot it at 840 we started looking at 11:30 bumped him at about 12:20

He aint goin far with 1 good lung and one full of chopped up stuff, open bean field ? then put a guy on the edge of that to watch and send the other on the blood trail again. That is a deer I may push the issue with, get him bleeding hard especially if the broadhead arrow is still in him, rather than let him try to coagulate the blood in a bed. He may come out on the edge of the beans and your partner may hear him coming and be able to move into position before he thinks about heading out in the open, he may stop on that edge to think about his options, he's not likely going to want to go across the wide open, more likely I think to circle back in there, go get him.

I once double lunged one that lived over 8 hours. I tracked him after 4 hours and spotted him bedded down. I backed out so as not to push him onto someone else's property. When I came back he was still alive, barely. We were able to get close enough for a finishing shot then. When I gutted him found out I took the bottom off both lungs. They are strong animals.

If u have someone to helping u then I would take triggers advice and track slowly with one person always glassing ahead. Good luck.

It's cold enough out to not push it.

I had one like this a month ago.

Trouble with sitting high, I usually sit 20ft up is that when the der are close, one can hit high and at that angle, you can many times end up with a one lung shot.

With these temps, as stated above, the meat will be fine. If there are no coyotes in the area, I might be temped to let it be until morning if you bump it again.

The one big issue with pushing him is he could leave no blood trail if he is close to being out of blood.

The buck I shot a bit ago did not leave any blood the last 45 yards after I jumped him. Then it is tough tracking and it comes down to alot of looking and some good luck.

I never push wounded deer, it's the best way to lose one.

The buck I one lunged this past month went a good 350 yards before he was done. They can travel a ways if pushed at all.

If it were me, I would wait till the last hour of daylight to go and get it. Can't hurt a thing to wait other than one gets ansy to go and find it.

Good luck.

Well we waited till 5 to look I just got back home and we found nothing but we are far from done going to get a extra guy or 2 and start grid searching and I wanna walk a fence line Because after we bumped him and we snuck out when we got to the road there was a good body sized deer walking down it then we lost it went down the hill I kind of wrote it off that it wasnt him on the fence because of no tracks going across the road but anything is possible

Good to keep the search going. One never knows where it could be laying. Hopefully you can get back on the blood trail but that could be tough when they travel that far. Suprised it did not lay back down again and you missed where it was.

Hope you have some luck. Too bad you do not have a blood hound as you could get it on the blood trail.

I would find the last blood and once it ends, if you have numerous buddies with, each one go a different angle and go very slow and try to pick it back up. Using toilet paper to mark each blood spot will help when you get down to specks just incase you lose the trail again, you can always go back to that last spot.

The deer should have traveled to an area with the thickest cover more than likely.

It can be a tough tracking job but it can be done.

In my experience, if you bump them after being shot it is a very small chance of finding them. Good luck to you though! After many years of bowhunting I tend to give them a minimum of 4-5 hours to go after them.

I really agree. The buck I tracked this last month I let go till morning to not push it. Was a tough tracking job but it all came togetrher for me. I believe the last 45 yards I tracked the deer took like a few hours as I was all but crawling through the weeds to see a blood spot. This time I won.

Well we got nothing to show for I knew after we bumped it our chances were cut to little or no chance but I fell I gave it a honest effort looking to day Its hard to swallow to lose a animal like this by far the biggest deer I have had a chance at but you learn from your mistakes I have learned alot from this I hoping that there is a chance he will survive I talked to the guys who are slug hunting the land this weekend and a couple other area groups in hopes of them running into it and maybe get a chance to atleast see it if they happen to get him