• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which deer scents to use this weekend?

maros91

Make a mock scrape with buck and scent trail with Estrus. I would not by any package stuff off the shelf.

Go out and try this out if you can pick up a bottle at his house you can see all the deer Chuck has. Great place to take the kids for a bit.

Whitetail country Scents

I totally agree with the last two posts- other than trying to cover your tracks, I'm convinced that they are 98% marketing and have a negligable impact on hunting. I'm sure people will chime in saying how wrong I am, but I'll definitely stand firm in this belief.

Get a $4.99 bottle of Indian Buck Lure and read the instructions on the back of the package.

It say's to put a few drops behind a tree opposite of where you're standing.

That way it stops the deer in your open shooting lane by it sniffing the scent behind the tree, doing so it takes it eye's and ears out allowing you to move to take a shot!

Best scent for the money as I just want that little bit of time to pull my arrow back and let them have it! 2cgrin

I will chime in I guess. There have been many instinces where they dont bring them in on a string, but I have had 2 times that I know they worked. I watched a 14pt buck walk 80 yds out into an open hay field at 10am with his nose up in the air going right to my Golden Estrus on a stick... and then he ran away with a bullet in his side.

When it was all over, I reflected on how he reacted and thanked my lucky stars I stopped to set it out.

I've done my own little "study" in my alfalfa field the past 5 yrs with numerous brands of scent from estrus to regular doe urine to buck scent, etc. I generally place it on Q-tips and watch response from my house. Hands down overall winner year after year is vanilla. The stuff you buy in the baking section of the grocery store. Either pure or imitation will work just fine. I generally use it at a 50/50 ratio, and it works great all season.I'm lucky that I usually hunt 3-5 days a week, so a $3 bottle will last most of season used each time you go out. Don't pour it out all over, but rather a few well placed drops to get his head down while you draw is easily done. Last night I had 5 different bucks come and lick the ground where I had placed the scent. Give it a try and save your $$ for something else that's important. Happy Hunting.

I'll say this, to be frank as a matter of fact, the older generation hunting parties never had much luck using scent control but did using lures as time progressed. As the trapping industry stands today there's countlss number who's odds are favored using a lure.

Back in the day you had a truck a dog and a rifle to chase game.

Now we expect the game just to meander in on top of us... boy it happens all the time deer just think I'm a lifeles tree with all my camo on...yeah right.

I've had bucks come in on a string when rattling.

One year I ratled in seven bucks.

Another year I had a scent dripper out.

Had 2 bucks come in and not even pay no mind to it and left. I rattled and grunted and they came right back. This time one actually went and stuck his nose on it.

That is not an every year thing. It isn't always going to play out like it should. not to me anyway.

But everyear I always have deer come in straight downwind. And some have their nose glued to the scent trail i laid.

I can remember the Burnham Brothers.

people from Marble Falls TX who started the modern day predator hunting.

They didn't sell scent control, they sold calls etc.

Well one time I seen Murray Burnham on a deer hunt. He must have had stocks and bonds in Arm and Hammer cuz he was head to toe in it. Saying put a buuunch in your shorts and a buuunch under your arms, wash your clothes in it. Line dry your clothes, and after dry put them in a sack with a buuunch more of it in the sack. You know what he did before he tied it up? Not only did he put a bunch of A&H in the sack he said getchya some deer droppings and put it in thar too. in his TX twang accent as he was mashing the deer droppings in his clothes.

This video was made in the mid 60's about 40 some odd years ago.

And he wasn't in a tree or ground blind either. He'd sit in front of some brush and rattle in which he was very successful having deer close enough to kiss on camera.

Do y'all know that most modern day deer research was fine tuned in the 60's?

Let me say this, using A&H or other oder absorbing stuff ain't a bad thing It just needs to be refreshened more frequently.

What we have today are antimicrobial scent control which is better and longer lasting under actual field conditions. Not saying carbon clothing is useless. That stuff does what it says when used properly.

Same goes for DoP etc. Using some synthetics will have a time release

and it's not as volitile {lost to evaporation etc.}

So just remember when you see a buck deer curling his lip, it's something in the air that's driving him crazy.

Make a mock scrape with buck and scent trail with Estrus. I would not by any package stuff off the shelf.

Go out and try this out if you can pick up a bottle at his house you can see all the deer Chuck has. Great place to take the kids for a bit.

Whitetail country Scents

I don't think Chuck's doe's are in estrus yet so it will be just deer urine but it is fresh. He also has a fridge full of it at the archery desk at the Forest lake gander for sale.

Bring a bag of mini marshmellows his deer will love you forever.

I don't think Chuck's doe's are in estrus yet so it will be just deer urine but it is fresh. He also has a fridge full of it at the archery desk at the Forest lake gander for sale.

Bring a bag of mini marshmellows his deer will love you forever.

I know Chuck.

Pretty cool dudes over there.

He throws his hunting clothes in one of the deer pens,

and leaves 'em in there.

Just like one of the best hunters I know who also has his own product line.

He said if you're gonna stink,

stink like a deer eh.

I did talk to Chuck on Sunday. He was thinking by the end of the week. So I"m hoping to get a few bottles then. Like I said before great place to bring kids to see the deer.

Shot a few deer off using his scent and a bunch of friends that have had luck too. Also just works as a cover scent for you. Fun watching the deer come in like a dog looking for a pheasant nose down following your scent trail and going crazy trying to find that doe.