• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

O2 Sensor, 1989 Chevy

So can someone tell me how to put in a new oxygen sensor on a 1989 Chevy 2500? I don't think it matters for this, but it has a 4.3 V6 in it.

The Service Engine Soon light comes on in my '89 Chevy if I drive it at highway speed for a few miles. The motor runs about as well a twenty-three year old motor with 166,000 on it can be expected to run, so I wasn't too worried about it. I got the issue checked at an auto parts store, and all it needs is a new O2 sensor.

It looks like I can get a new sensor on-line cheap, but I need to know just how to put it in. It is supposed to be easy, but that doesn't help if I don't know where to start. laugh

I'd rather do it myself, and fix it so my gas mileage isn't quite as bad. Plus, if I let it go and the Service Engine Light comes on because there is a real problem, I'll just ignore it if I don't fix the O2 sensor.

You need a 7/8" inch wrench. It will be in the exhaust pipe before the catalytic converter. Unplug it, remove the old one, install the new one, plug the new one in.

If it is being stubborn when you try to remove it than loosen it a quarter turn. Dowse the threads with brake fluid. Let it sit for five minutes, reapply brake fluid. Let it sit for another five minutes. Apply break fluid again and tighten then loosen or remove. Break fluid works fantastic for getting them out!

Hey airjer, quick question... I have 190k on my 98 k1500. No probs with O2 sensor that I know of, but I plan to keep the truck forever wink and wondering if the O2 sensor is something that likely goes with age/miles and if it might be considered a "maintenance" thing at my trucks age. Or should I just wait till I see codes and do it then?

I just want to keep this truck running great, and not afraid to be pro-active. Thanks for advice again!!

edit - 350 engine

I will say about 1/10 of the o2 sensors that get replaced, werent bad o2 sensors, but a vacuum leak, or other issues. Sure o2 sensors can get lazy in time, and it isnt a bad idea to get new ones, but they rarely cause a concern for a check engine light, or lack of power, maybe a little poor fuel economy, if they are lazy.

O2 sensors can get lazy over time. The cost of the repair verses any noticeable improvement in drive ability or fuel economy is negligible, IMO. Replacing the O2 sensors proactively with a lesser quality sensor could cause more problems than it will solve.

I wouldn't worry about them until there is an issue. Our shop truck has the 6.0 with just under 200k and they are to my knowledge O.E.

So can someone tell me how to put in a new oxygen sensor on a 1989 Chevy 2500? I don't think it matters for this, but it has a 4.3 V6 in it.

The Service Engine Soon light comes on in my '89 Chevy if I drive it at highway speed for a few miles. The motor runs about as well a twenty-three year old motor with 166,000 on it can be expected to run, so I wasn't too worried about it. I got the issue checked at an auto parts store, and all it needs is a new O2 sensor.

It looks like I can get a new sensor on-line cheap, but I need to know just how to put it in. It is supposed to be easy, but that doesn't help if I don't know where to start. laugh

I'd rather do it myself, and fix it so my gas mileage isn't quite as bad. Plus, if I let it go and the Service Engine Light comes on because there is a real problem, I'll just ignore it if I don't fix the O2 sensor.

This didn't end up being as simple as I hoped.

When I crawled under my truck, I found what was left of the O2 sensor, which I'm pretty sure was the one it left the factory with in 1989. The sensor was sheered off at the base, with only a spring above that.

I learned using a butane torch to loosen the remains of the O2 sensor was the best way to go. It may or may not have been the best way, and it sure wasn't a clean, easy, or burn-free way, but eventually I got the stump of the old sensor out with a little help from a high-speed drill. I managed not to damage the threads in the exhaust pipe while doing so, so once I finally got the old one out putting the new sensor in was easy.

Usually the tech as most are on some form of commission. Excrement rolls downhill too. If you are lucky enough to be hourly or salary then the shop takes the hit. But the boss may give you the stink eye when that happens.

When I know I have a fight ahead of me it's "I will let you know how much when it's done" Or at the very least bid it high and come down accordingly. I didn't build it,buy it, or break it.

In our shop, dependent on if it is warranty or customer pay we have something called "M" time. We make a separate punch on our time ticket, explain the situation to our service manager, if its warranty we will usually get paid, if its customer pay, its hit and miss.