• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to fillet a bluegill boneless.

WillCFish

I do it with a regular knife and go a little bit slower, but not much. No disrespect but I get a lot more meat than that. They are missing all the belly meat. It doesn’t seem like much but it adds up. When you are talking about a sunny every little bit counts. Please don’t tell me about how belly meat is bad to eat. If you eat fish 4 or 5 days a week for 10 years than maybe I will listen. Just my opinion.

Video doesn't show cutting out the pin bones. I fillet going over the rig cage, but always have to cut out the pin bones as an additional step to have a completely boneless fillet.

Do you guys leave the pin bones in, or is there a way to fillet around them without much waste?

I leave them in. Once the fillet is fried up I do not find them as they must all but fry away.

With a good fillet knife, one can fillet them out just as fast as with an electric and some practice. Just need a good sharp knife. About zero waste with the fillet knife also.

Like others.. I do the same.. but manually.. one thing I do to make fileting easier is I don't finish the filet at the tail.. so that i can hold onto the fish.. instead of trying to hold the tip of the filet with my chubby fingers

Like others.. I do the same.. but manually.. one thing I do to make fileting easier is I don't finish the filet at the tail.. so that i can hold onto the fish.. instead of trying to hold the tip of the filet with my chubby fingers

So what you saying is you would not be very popular if you were a proctologist? laugh

Exactly, much easier and faster to get the fillet of the skin and u end up with a tick more on the fillet.

I have tried taking the belly meat and usually I lose a bunch of meat trying to get it. Gave up on it when I had kids because the last thing I want to do is leave a bone behind.

Never use and electric for panfish. Always use a 4" or 6" with a flexible blade (must be very sharp).

Cut behind the head down to the back bone. Run knife along the back all the way into the rib cage. Bend back the fillet and cut along the ribs - be careful not to cut your finger which should be holding the fillet. When you get to about the anus of the fish slide the knife all the way length wise across the fish and pull toward the tail until the fillet comes off - skin it and done. That's kind of hard to explain.

You lose ZERO meat off the back of the fish and from the anus down. Takes about 20 seconds per side.

I do it the same way but with out a eletric fillet knife and I will scale those bluegills most all the time they tatse so much better. and scaling isnt a big mess as everyone seems to think just have to practice.

I also use the fork trick to take out the rib bones means less hands on the meat of the fish.

Scaale then fillet the side off. there is a art to scaleing so that scales dont go everywhere. lots of partice. from start to finish I am about a minuet a fish scaled, filleted, deribbed and in the bowl.

Like I said lots of practice

if i have several nice sized gills, i will scale em before fileting; sometimes i will gut em and leave them whole. i think they taste better with skin on, but if i have a bunch of them, gills or crappies, i will use the electric knife.

a good trick for scaling gills is to do them in the sink or a tub covered with water. the water keeps the scales from flying all over and softens the scales, making it easier. i usually use a spoon to scale em.

i do them in kitchen sink if nobody's lookin and flush the scales down the garbage disposal. whistle

I like to scale my fish before filleting them. I use a deep pie tin and put enough water in it to cover the fish and then scale it. it catches most of the scales and you can dispose of the scales in one bunch. may have to fill the pie tin over a couple times depending on how many you have to clean.

My grandmother taught me to cut the head off, slit the bottom and remove the inards and then scale them.

Then right to the frying pan after she rolled or dusted them in flour.

Man, there were goood.

Yep thats when you left the tail on and it was the first bite yo took. Those are very tastey that way. flour,pepper and carway seed.. MMMMMMM