• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ham Jerky Recipe - How To Make The Good Stuff.

I wanted to share one that has been a hit. Ham Jerky. For the last year I've been making various types of jerky with a lot of nice compliments on the finished product.  Really easy to make. I purchase the cheapest pre-sliced ham at Cub from the meat department. I cut it into strips, add brown sugar and some seasonings that don't contain salt. Garlic powder, onion powder, etc. Let it sit overnight. Throw it on the dehydrator for a few hours.

I also made some using brown sugar, oyster sauce and pot sticker sauce. That was also good, but a little too salty.

This is really easy to make. If you don't have a dehydrator or smoker, put it in the oven on low heat with the door cracked open.

Anyone else ever do this? Anyone have any other ideas on changing up the recipe.

Never tried making jerky with ham, was thinking of making some of that buckboard bacon (in another thread here), slicing some of that thin, making it into jerky. May try your idea at the same time, do a side by side comparison.

I've read in several books that dehydrating ham is dangerous due to trichnosis. With that said, I have made ham jerky out of deli ham and sliced whole muscle ham. The deli ham was way too salty bit the whole muscle turned out very good.

I've read in several books that dehydrating ham is dangerous due to trichnosis. With that said, I have made jerky out of deli ham and sliced whole muscle ham. The deli ham was way too salty bit the whole muscle turned out very good.

Supermarket ham is all fully cooked when you buy it. And there hasn't been a case of trichinosis from farm raised pork in the USA for many years, which is why the government lowered the recommended cooking temp for pork recently. Watch out with the bear meat though.

I've read in several books that dehydrating ham is dangerous due to trichnosis. With that said, I have made jerky out of deli ham and sliced whole muscle ham. The deli ham was way too salty bit the whole muscle turned out very good.

I'm wondering if the information you read was a caution about dehydrating a fresh ham because of their higher fat content? I agree with Del, pork trichinosis is much rarer than tric from bear or other wild game.

Supermarket ham is all fully cooked when you buy it. And there hasn't been a case of trichinosis from farm raised pork in the USA for many years, which is why the government lowered the recommended cooking temp for pork recently. Watch out with the bear meat though.

Actually processed hams are either "ready to cook" (needs to be cooked to 165*) or "ready to eat" (fully cooked, and can be eaten cold or warmed up to 140*). Most of the boneless ones, and all of the spiral hams are ready to eat. Ready to cook hams must have instructions on the label.

I would think a spiral cut ham would be a good option for jerky due to the even-ness of the thickness of the slices.