• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stability of fishing kayaks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hook - The OP said he was renting. I understand putting in the free plug for the brand you sell, but c'mon man.... lol

WishIwerefishing, I'd get into a few of the rentals if you can and just get a feel for which kayak they have that you feel the most comfortable in. If you'll be doing some fishing and are new to paddling, strap your stuff down. Would suck to tip the boat and watch the tackle box or a spendy rod go down to Davey Jones locker wink

Don’t forget places like Hoigaards, REI , Hi Tempo have demo days usually once a week around the metro. It’s nice if you have questions or actually have a couple kayaks in mind to be able and try them out for yourself.

I bought a Wilderness sit on top from Joes Sporting and asked if they did demo days. I don’t remember the reason but at the time they didn’t. Anyway the guy said if I wanted he would meet me down at one of the lakes and I could try it there. Long story short, he did, I did, and I bought it.

WS

I have watched kayak fishermen in the ocean at la jolla, where they are jigging for white sea bass and yellowtail that can run 20 to 40 pounds. They use sit upon kayaks, although I forget the brand.

That's about right... From what I've seen in the industry mid range for kayaks is 900 to 3,000 I've seen kayaks going for 200 but I wouldn't put my fat arse in one. Quality and stability are important to me, no matter what model you may choose from.

You really do get what you pay for when you buy a yak. Just keep in mind:

-longer = faster/straighter

-shorter = more maneuverable/easier to land/launch

Like ted said, demo demo demo. I didn't and got lucky, but my buddies didn't have as good of luck.

And yes... Hobie makes a couple that make the rest look like noodles from Menards...

One thing about the Hobies here in MN - or any of the other "pedal drive" yaks - I don't think you can use them in the non-motorized areas of the BWCA.

I'm almost 99% sure you can't because it's considered "mechanical." No0t a big deal if you aren't fishing in the B-dub, though.

Some of the more popular sit-on-tops used for fishing are the Wilderness Systems Tempest, Ocean Kayak Prowler, and different Native Watercraft boats, along with the aforementioned Hobies.

Went last Friday and had a good time. Yaks were Heritage Redfish. Mine was 12 feet long and was stable and handled well. It had three rod holders, one adjustable in the front and two built in ones just to the rear on both sides. Fishing was not good though, which was a disappointment. Water was lower then it had been, but still high IMO.

Even in my Old Town Vapor I feel very safe. You cant stand in it though. But with a Hobie or some of the Natives, you could stand in them and while sitting could deal with some pretty hectic situations.

The Native Ultimate 12 will be my next kayak!

Went last Friday and had a good time. Yaks were Heritage Redfish. Mine was 12 feet long and was stable and handled well. It had three rod holders, one adjustable in the front and two built in ones just to the rear on both sides. Fishing was not good though, which was a disappointment. Water was lower then it had been, but still high IMO.

Heritage Redfish are good yaks. Emotion grabbed the designer and he designed the Emotion Grand Slam. Also a good yak. Between the Tarpons, Tridents/Prowlers, Rides, Natives, and Hobies there are a lot of good yaks out there. Look at the size, weight, seat and layout. I picked a Trident 13 for stability, speed, layout, and the Humminbird-compatible scupper hole. LOVE THAT

I'm new to kayaks,was looking for something for fishing the river or smaller lakes.I have a Larson but seems to be kinda big for some of my activities.I saw a hunter green kayak at Walmart it seems to have everything it's pretty beefy in style.It's around 450.00 .I was wondering if you guys know the kayak that I'm talking about and if it would be a good starting fishing kayak.

Why any decent, moral, intelligent, kind, and interesting human being would choose a kayak over a canoe is a mystery to me. grin

To me, it's like comparing charcoal grilling to propane grilling. Sure, propane (canoe) gets the job done, but we all know that charcoal (kayak) is king. cool

I'm new to kayaks,was looking for something for fishing the river or smaller lakes.I have a Larson but seems to be kinda big for some of my activities.I saw a hunter green kayak at Walmart it seems to have everything it's pretty beefy in style.It's around 450.00 .I was wondering if you guys know the kayak that I'm talking about and if it would be a good starting fishing kayak.

if your price point is that high, I would search hsolist for some higher end used kayaks. At $450, some of the Ocean Kayak prowlers (great boat) would be within reach, as well as many other kayaks that will outperform that Walmart model.

To me, it's like comparing charcoal grilling to propane grilling. Sure, propane (canoe) gets the job done, but we all know that charcoal (kayak) is king. cool

I never thought I'd see the day....someone in a public forum admitting to such a debilitating mental illness. You, sir, should be able to find a happy home down in Silly Town. smile

Why any decent, moral, intelligent, kind, and interesting human being would choose a kayak over a canoe is a mystery to me. grin

I never once claimed to be moral.... then again my kayak is a native ultimate, which is like what happens when a nice canoe and nice kayak have too much to drink at their best friends wedding reception.

bow chika bow wow... 9 months later, you have a native ultimate!

So... seriously to answer you, I agree with Ted on the idea if you are going to spend 450 or so, check the list of Craig.

As far as how stable my native is, I paddle standing up now sometimes if sight fishing for carps. I'll fall out of that yak before I tip it. I am going to be bringing in a push pole for the mix.