• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stability of fishing kayaks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also you have to put the fish in the Yak with you, because Sea Lions like fish too.

A big stability issue is getting through the shore break, when fishing the ocean. No matter how calm there are always some swells that break right on the beach. So you end up having to get through a short distance, maybe 50 feet, of the equivalent of bad white caps.

Where was Hobie? Must've missed em!

OK's are carried at REI and Gander, but it's hard to find the Tridents. If you can get into a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 that's very similar to a Trident 13 in performance and stability. The Trident is lighter tho.

Once the lakes open up I'll be taking my Trident out so you're more than welcome to give it a test drive if you'd like.

They had a nucanoe at the sportshow? dayum how did i miss that? the Hobies looked nice, but my hip is shot I cannot operate the pedal system. I will be looking at a nucanoe frontier soon...

Dan at Clearwaters Outfitters in Clearwater, mn is going to start selling Nucanoe..

Regarding your hip, see Dr. Mark Heller. I had mine done two years ago and the recovery time was amazing! I was cane free after 2-3 weeks and have zero restrictions! That is his specialty and two years ago he had done over 1100 of them. They come from all over the nation to see him.

Dan at Clearwaters Outfitters in Clearwater, mn is going to start selling Nucanoe..

Regarding your hip, see Dr. Mark Heller. I had mine done two years ago and the recovery time was amazing! I was cane free after 2-3 weeks and have zero restrictions! That is his specialty and two years ago he had done over 1100 of them. They come from all over the nation to see him.

Thanks for the tip, that could save me quite a few miles as I was thinking of driving all the way to lacrosse WI just to look at one lol!

Re: my hips, saying they were shot was a bit of hyperbole. I do have limited range of motion for various reasons so i cannot pedal, but i walk around just fine. What did you have done? glad to hear it works for you!

Actually, I have a friend in WI that bought a yak just for this purpose and got some neat wildlife images from it. His is a 12 footer but I've read reviews on a couple 10 footers that some people also use for wildlife photography. And It's the lens I'd be more concerned with. Used cameras are much cheaper. smile

It's not just the $24 registration fee that annoys me, it's also the stickers you have to attach. Also, a 10 footer would be much easier to throw on top of the SUV.

Looking at my brochure. The 1080 Explorer is about $429 and the 1080 Pro-Angler is about $569

I think they make trips to the cities for delivery where you would meet them someplace. The guy I talked to at the show has a daughter in Savage, so he comes down this far occasionally.

I'm curious to know if you get one, what you think of it. And yes, they said many people carry them inside a SUV.

Good info. I'm actually looking for a 10' yak but more for photography than fishing. One reason for a 10 ft. is, new this year, anything non motorized 10' or less does not require registering or licensing.

That is the main reason for me too, i wanna sneak up on herons, ducks eagles, etc good to hear about the 10 or less not needing stickers! I am looking at the Frontier 10, looks plenty stable with vidios of people standing and even jumping in it without any fear of capsizing! Should be camera safe!

I've been looking online at the Old Town Vapor Angler. It gets real good reviews and since I can't try any out before hand, I need to base my decision on others experience. This is why the Crow Wing won't happen. I can't find any reviews and I found just 5 dealers listed on their site with the first and closest one I emailed, no longer a dealer. Driving the 300 mile round trip to the Twin Cities to look at one, isn't going to happen. That adds a lot more to the cost. I'll be going by a Gander Mountain on Monday and will look at a couple there. It will be nice to be able to compare.

@MNShutterbug - I used to own an Old Town Vapor. It's a GREAT kayak for the money. Mine was a 12' Angler IIRC. In terms of sit in kayaks, it's one of the more comfortable rides for the price. If you have any specific questions about it, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them for you.