• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stability of fishing kayaks

I never thought I'd see the day....someone in a public forum admitting to such a debilitating mental illness. You, sir, should be able to find a happy home down in Silly Town. smile

I laughed. Sadly, it's probably true. crazy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeremycampbell00, in summary:

1) I bought a kayak, which carmike implied ment i was immoral blah blah... I stated I never claimed to be moral in the first place.

2) My kayak is a native ultimate, which is a hybrid kayak/canoe. My story was suggesting that a native ultimate is a dirty lovechild of a drunken night between a kayak and a canoe.

3) This is when I got sereious. Not joking anymore.

4) I recommended someone looking to spend 450 on a new wal mart something or other look to a list of lots of used items to try to save money on a nicer rig. The name of the idividual who made this list is "Craig" It is HIS list.

5) My native ultimate is so stable, I am going to start standing on it and using a push pole when site fishing for carps.

cool

Our canoe has sat in the woods on the edge of the river for six years! Six years ago we bought 2 wilderness kayaks and probably won't use the canoe again! Kayaking is the only way to go! Fishing kayaks are way more stable! Ours are not fishing but we fish out of them all the time. Never once felt like I was going to tip!

Why any decent, moral, intelligent, kind, and interesting human being would choose a kayak over a canoe is a mystery to me. grin

Canoes all the way!

I love kayaks, but my cheapo pelican navigator canoe is the bomb. It may not be fast, but I can stand and huck mag dawgs and cast a 9wt fly rod in some choppy waves without falling out (yet). I do not find my balance well in the kayaks I've been on, but I have not paddled a kayak made for fishing.

One thing I can do in my canoe that I can't do in a kayak: be happy soloing a 2 seater.

Another: I can toss my backpack, tackle box, a two liter, a box of cheese-its, and an extra paddle in without having to spend excess time organizing and securing endless zippers and clasps.

If I was "serious" about fishing out of a paddle-driven boat, and if I was a better fly caster, I'd probably really like a really nice (and expensive) fishing specific single seater kayak. Instead, I have my pleasure boat and can do whatever the heck I want with it, with whoever I want, and with whatever equipment I want to bring.

5) My native ultimate is so stable, I am going to start standing on it and using a push pole when site fishing for carps

No joke, I upsize my canoe paddle a little longer than "ideal" and use it as a push pole while standing, it's a very effective way to precisely position yourself stealthily. I tend to do it to help me move and kill my momentum without creating a ruckus.

Jeremy - Definitely better off getting a used OK, Native, or Wilderness Systems kayak and in a BIG way. Comfort, fishability, versatility and just plain quality.

Don't forget to spend at least $120 on a good paddle.

Not sure you're range, but there's an OK Trident 13 on hsolist for $750 that I soooooo badly want to pick up. That's $300 less than a new one.

I love kayaks, but my cheapo pelican navigator canoe is the bomb. It may not be fast, but I can stand and huck mag dawgs and cast a 9wt fly rod in some choppy waves without falling out (yet). I do not find my balance well in the kayaks I've been on, but I have not paddled a kayak made for fishing.

Another: I can toss my backpack, tackle box, a two liter, a box of cheese-its, and an extra paddle in without having to spend excess time organizing and securing endless zippers and clasps.

This is kind of like comparing a pontoon to a purpose-built fishing boat. Whichever fits your style. In terms of fishing effectiveness you'll do so much better in a good fishing kayak.

Anyone's free to test out a couple yaks this summer. I usually do metro lakes 2-3 times a week.

Take it easy people, different paddle strokes for different folks. wink

Geez, sorry, Duff. laugh

All joking aside, they're all awesome boats. It really depends on what you are going to be using it for. With all of these boats, there's a clear trade-off regarding features...you want stability, you'll sacrifice speed. You want maneuverability, you'll sacrifice efficiency. You want the perfect fishing platform (a fishing yak), you'll lose some versatility (a canoe).

I like the canoe because one boat allows me to do lots of things (BWCA/Quetico/WCPP/etc., run rapids, fish), but I give up the sweetness that is a nice fishing yak. So it goes.

Geez, sorry, Duff. laugh

The last thing I need is this place bringing on an aura of Silly Town. smile

Bunch of wanna be jokesters down there. lol laugh

I used to stand in my Old Town Discovery and pitch lures all day, and two of us would do the same in Coleman Scanoe. When I'm standing in my solo these days, it's to stretch the legs and I tell ya........I'm paying complete attention every second I'm standing or she's tossing me out. smile

Our canoe has sat in the woods on the edge of the river for six years! Six years ago we bought 2 wilderness kayaks and probably won't use the canoe again! Kayaking is the only way to go! Fishing kayaks are way more stable! Ours are not fishing but we fish out of them all the time. Never once felt like I was going to tip!

Once you go yak, you never go back wink

I know what you mean....I've got a Bell solo that's tippy enough as it is without me standing up in it. Heck, I've actually tipped it--in early May--while seated, without trying. That's why cold water + solo = small lakes and streams.

Kayaks are for new wave feminine sensitive overthinking types. Canoes are for real men that get the job done!!!

Actually hull design, shape,length and width are the most important aspects regardless of kayak or canoe or boat.

Like this guy? And the panfish he caught in the Pacific Ocean....

full-1100-31187-img_1017.jpg

full-1100-31188-img_1016.jpg

Standard self-propelled boat for fishing yellow tail and sea bass is a sit upon kayak.