• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Home Made Pizza

I convinced my uncle to give a home made pizza a try on the his big green egg. He is going to pick up the stone to cook it on this Friday but he put me in charge of finding a good recipe... Any ideas out there? I was thinking about going with a white sauce but not sure...

Thanks,

i think this will be a great thread that you started. you may want to check out Third Eye's potato pizza in the thread below yours on the forum on potato's, fry'd, baked, mashed ect. that one was done on a green egg. i'm sure there will be plenty of ideas with pizzas on the grill. good luck.

You can get awesome results using pre-made pesto for your sauce. I make a grilled Pizza with marinated shrip, grilled scallions and roma tomato slices. Use either Provolone or Fontina cheese if you want to go "over the top", or just use your favorite white cheese.

I also, do one with grilled marinated chicken, Onion, crimini mushrooms and pine nuts (pesto sauce base here too.) So tasty...

You can get awesome results using pre-made pesto for your sauce. I make a grilled Pizza with marinated shrip, grilled scallions and roma tomato slices. Use either Provolone or Fontina cheese if you want to go "over the top", or just use your favorite white cheese.

I also, do one with grilled marinated chicken, Onion, crimini mushrooms and pine nuts (pesto sauce base here too.) So tasty...

BBQ sauce,, grilled chicken, mozzarella cheese, red onion, cilantro.

I put the sauce, cheese, chicken cut into strips, and the onion down before cooking and the cilantro after. It adds a nice bright fresh flavor. My wife likes this one a lot.

I also tried pastrami pizza once. It was ok. I used pepper jack cheese and a thin layer of yellow mustard as sauce. I also put down some kraut with the thin chopped pastrami. Fresh onion might have made it a little better. It was good, not great.

I grill pizzas all the time. Favorite pizza is made with ground turkey sausage, fresh tomatoes diced, fresh basil.

Just brown the sausage, dice the tomatoes, tear up the basil and toss it into a bowl and toss it with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and put it on your pizza.

When grilling pizzas i don't use a pizza stone but I have the wider ceramic grill grate that makes it easier. I form the crust and put it on the grill for a minute or two without toppings then flip it over and add the ingredients.

I make up a bunch of individual sized pizza crusts and par bake them for a few minutes. Just enough so they have a little firmnness so they do not want to fall through the grill grates. I then freeze them. When you want a pizza thaw and dress with the sauce and toppings of your desire and grill. It is great for a party. Just have the sauces, cheese, and toppings available and let them build their own.

Will the grill (or in this case) give the pizza a little bolder smoky taste? If so I think chicken might be the way I go..

I think the grill flavor is more in the crust than in the stronger flavored sauce and toppings.

Last year when we had that long heat spell i was grilling and smoking almost everything, and started doing pizza. Like Waskawood, I premake crust, freeze them, and then just pull them out when needed. Really think a half baked crust is the way to go if not using a stone. Key is to precook the topping side before you add them. This ensures that the crust will not get soggy due to the toppings or being under cooked.

full-27018-19924-2011_07_20_18_00_24_850

full-27018-19923-2011_07_18_23_50_26_95.

Only have a pic of a pepperoni, but get creative with the toppings and do whatever floats your boat. I make a chicken satay pizza with a peanut butter/coconut milk sauce with chicken and veggies....cant go wrong with a mac n cheese pizza....my favorite is pepperoni, jalapenos, and cream cheese...... and speaking of smoke, have even done up a calzone on the smoker that was unbelievable! Have fun!

full-27018-19920-2011_07_20_15_43_44_68.

full-27018-19921-2011_07_20_15_46_02_865

Last year made a Brat, Kraut and onion pizza. Was very good. Went real lite on the pizza sauce, put on sliced brats (pre-cooked), sauerkraut, onion and drizzled brown mustard over that. Then smothered with 1/4 mozzelella and 3/4 shredded swiss cheese... Turned out great. Made it on the gas grill...

Good Luck!

Ken