• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New AIS law

harvey lee

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excerpts from a Star Tribune article yesterday

"Certified inspectors can require anglers to clean their boats or have them decontaminated, if necessary. Boaters who refuse to comply can be denied launching privileges.

"We've been training DNR employees to be inspectors, and also are developing joint powers agreements with 14 units of government and are training their inspectors," said Jim Japs, assistant director of the DNR's water management section.

In all, about 80 boat inspectors will be at lake and river accesses next weekend. Included will be 54 Level 1 inspectors, and as many as 43 Level 2 inspectors.

Both can inspect boats, but only Level 2 inspectors are trained to operate decontamination units.

Boat decontamination can take from 10 minutes to a half-hour, Japs said. The process is free. But it's possible private contractors will enter the business in the future, and boat owners could be charged for the procedure"

Half hour forced or at least gov supervised decontaminations, 14 additional units of government being given broad DNR search authority and now possibly private companies being brought in to forcibly clean our boats for a "nominal" fee. Our invasive government is spreading much faster and causing more harm than our invasive weeds could ever hope to.

Half hour forced or at least gov supervised decontaminations, 14 additional units of government being given broad DNR search authority and now possibly private companies being brought in to forcibly clean our boats for a "nominal" fee. Our invasive government is spreading much faster and causing more harm than our invasive weeds could ever hope to.

For all you guys that argued with me about this topic three months ago and told me I should sell my boat or stop fishing if I don't like the new laws, I want you to read James' comments closely! He is right on the money. I told you there are always unintended consequences to government involvement and we haven't even started the dam program yet! We cannot give up our individual liberties just because we think it’s beneficial to a cause we believe in. The government will always inevitably turn that power grab into precedence for an all-out assault on the freedoms you do care about!! This is just the beginning...

from all the states ive lived in, and all of their dnr's programs to combat invasive species, this is by far the worst, and most in-effective/efficient. In fact i dont know of any invasive species program that has worked? It seems like a nice way to keep the funds rolling in though for field work and studies.

Hockey Guy...If you don't like the new laws, then you must be one of those guys who does illegal stuff and doesn't want to be pulled over!

...I think i've heard that one enough!

This invasives is getting WAY out of control, and yes, guys like you and I spotted this cra p a mile away and got labeled as criminals for not openly accepting these laws.

Ok I’ve brought this up twice now and no one has responded to it either time.

How many on here have carpeted buck trailers? How many of you know or suspect you have trapped vegetation between your boat and those bunks in the past? Is there a way to prevent it? If so please tell me how?

I remove all visible vegetation from my trailer on every trip but let’s face it YOU ARE NOT GOING TO PREVENT IT 100% of the time. So now I stand to be fined if I do not remove all aquatic vegetation from my trailer before leaving the lake. Please tell me and the other thousands who have a bunk trailer on here how to do it.

Ok I’ve brought this up twice now and no one has responded to it either time.

How many on here have carpeted buck trailers? How many of you know or suspect you have trapped vegetation between your boat and those bunks in the past? Is there a way to prevent it? If so please tell me how?

I remove all visible vegetation from my trailer on every trip but let’s face it YOU ARE NOT GOING TO PREVENT IT 100% of the time. So now I stand to be fined if I do not remove all aquatic vegetation from my trailer before leaving the lake. Please tell me and the other thousands who have a bunk trailer on here how to do it.

I've got bunks, and also a boat hull design that traps water between strength ribs. With boat tipped at a 30 degree angle, boat will still retain water... So ya, it's going to spread like wildfire...and our rights are going to get burned in the process.

Why do i have to unplug my boat? I glued the plug in with epoxy from the inside about 15 years ago. So the only water that i ever take in would be from rain which i would just bilge out. So why would i remove my plug to drain out the nothing that is in there??? My live well drains seperatally then my plug or bilge obivouslly so ya get my point.....

i sealed up my plug on my banged up 12 footer. i put it upside down when i throw it in my truck. i get a ticket for that i would be surprised but on the other hand why should i be surprised. i'll take my chances on that one, just seems like common sense as long as no water is in there. good luck.

I talked to a DNR Conservation Officer about this. He stated that he knows it is impossible to remove weeds from between the bunk & hull. He actually said his own boat has a bunk trailer too. He said that he is only concerned with boaters that do not even try to remove obvious hanging weeds. I was left wondering why even have the checkpoints(?). He finished up the conversation by saying that the DNR didn't make this law, they just have to enforce it.

i sealed up my plug on my banged up 12 footer. i put it upside down when i throw it in my truck. i get a ticket for that i would be surprised but on the other hand why should i be surprised. i'll take my chances on that one, just seems like common sense as long as no water is in there. good luck.

Canoes and kayaks don't have plugs either. The point of the law is to drain the boat as much as possible. A boat that is turned over has got less residual water in it than a boat sitting on a trailer with the plug pulled.

I don't think the AIS enforcement plan is any different than a CO pulling up beside my boat and doing an inspection of my safety equipment, checking my licenses and boat registration, looking at the fish in my livewell or walking into my ice fishing house. I've always been legal and have never had a problem. This has been going on for years and nobody seems to complain about these inspections. I will comply with the law the best I can and I think I'll be just fine if I ever get inspected.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, if something in effect is a LAW, then it cant be illegal, not following the law is illegal. Maybe going through your home to find yer milfoil stash without a warrent is illegal or searching the inside of your vehical without consent may be illegal. anyways thanks reinhard at least i know im not the onlyone with a fixed plug wooooo

Cover up the plug with one of fancy stickers they were handing out. smile

i've never had a difficult CO ever. i think most are reasonable. as long as you take reasonable measures to comply there wont be a problem. i think the CO you met are an example of the majority of CO's. i'll do the same as i do every year as far as compliance and all will be fine. good luck.

I guess I am completely confused on this subject. Do I actually need to get these stickers before this weekend? Or what?

Nope, no sticker needed. Those stickers are out dated already.

BEEFEATER -

Here's an example

Do you remember the traffic light cameras? Running a red light or stop light and you'd get a ticket in the mail...you don't see those around anymore in Minnesota. Those were ruled illegal after it became a law and the law was reversed and no longer valid.

Same thing here.

Good luck this weekend everyone.

BEEFEATER -

Here's an example

Do you remember the traffic light cameras? Running a red light or stop light and you'd get a ticket in the mail...you don't see those around anymore in Minnesota. Those were ruled illegal after it became a law and the law was reversed and no longer valid.

Same thing here.

Good luck this weekend everyone.

More direct comparison would be the dwi checkpoints that MN has ruled unconstitutional.

I did bring this up a few times, and said that even if I was not in violation, if I'm pulled over randomly and searched, I'm going to court...

I believe the responses I had were to stop wasting taxpayer money on frivolous lawsuits, and that I must be doing something else wrong or I should not mind the cops stopping me randomly.