• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

looking for a drop shot rod

smalliehunter

I really it think it depends on where you are going to be using the dropshot at. If you are fishing weedlines with it you might want to beef it up a little. Especially if you are tight to the weedline. Generally, I do most of my dropshot fishing in weed/snag free areas on the lakes that i fish. With that in mind my two dropshot rods are pretty finesse. I have a 6'6" ml fast shimano crucial that i use for smallies a ton. It has been a great rod for dropshotting for me, I miss very few fish and it is a ton of fun to catch fish with. I also have a 7' allstar dropshot rod that i just got this winter and haven't tried yet. I have only dropshotted with spinning gear. However, I know several guys that use lighter baitcasting gear for dropshotting. I personally have had a ton of success with my current dropshot set up there for I see no need to change, which is the biggest reason i haven't used baitcasting gear to dropshot

I use a 7'2" crucial drop shot rod with a Stella reel. Great combo that I have been very happy with for drop shotting. This will be my 4th season with this setup and no problems. I have some other crucial rods and very happy with them.

Good fishing!!

If your looking for an all around drop shot rod i would recommend a medium rod. If your leaning toward a medium light id make sure it has Xtra fast action. I bought a ML/F last year and I don't use it as much as I should because if im around any weeds at all I feel under powered.

RK and Dietz can probably fill ya in on using baitcasting gear for DSing

the 7'2" Shimano Cumara dropshot rod has a killer action if you are going spinning rod....The shimano crucial baitcaster is a decent one.... I had Lonnie at Thorne Brothers make me a baitcaster dropshot rod last year... that thing is INCREDIBLE.. its a 7'6" Xfast.. Med.

Hiya -

I think I cast drop shot rigs farther and more frequently than most, so I like spinning gear, and a slightly heavier power rod. I think ML-XF rods are kind of the norm for drop-shotting, but on a long cast in deep water, even with a nose-hooked bait getting a good hookset is a challenge with a lighter power rod. Fish come up and jump, and your drop shot rig gets air mailed back to you... So for a lot of my drop-shotting I'm using a 7' MH XF with a very light tip. I do have a lighter, shorter (6'9" ML XF) I use for fishing vertically, or sight fishing in shallow water. But I bet I use it 20% of the time.

Cheers,

RK

Hiya -

I think I cast drop shot rigs farther and more frequently than most, so I like spinning gear, and a slightly heavier power rod. I think ML-XF rods are kind of the norm for drop-shotting, but on a long cast in deep water, even with a nose-hooked bait getting a good hookset is a challenge with a lighter power rod. Fish come up and jump, and your drop shot rig gets air mailed back to you... So for a lot of my drop-shotting I'm using a 7' MH XF with a very light tip. I do have a lighter, shorter (6'9" ML XF) I use for fishing vertically, or sight fishing in shallow water. But I bet I use it 20% of the time.

Cheers,

RK

Thought you'd mention the bubba rig whistle

i used to use my fiances 6'6" medium light fast st. croix avid pearl spinning rod. late last year when the st croix rage line came out i bought a 6'8" medium xtra fast baitcaster. I've been using that for wacky rigging, drop shotting. shaky heading and topwater fishing. I found it is one of my most versatile rods i own now.

I'd have to say one of my new favorites would have to be the 6'9" or 7'4" Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth. That's a rod that St. Croix or G Loomis would love to get a hold of and charge $200+ for. Play with one if you can find it. I had to find out when Cabelas was restocking shelves because they were selling too fast...

I've had my share of fenwick years ago, actually they were one of my favorites until they started breaking at the tips, pretty brittle. Its been a long time since I've fished with one, hope they've fixed that issue.

I think anything 6'8"+ extra fast works.

I've had my share of fenwick years ago, actually they were one of my favorites until they started breaking at the tips, pretty brittle. Its been a long time since I've fished with one, hope they've fixed that issue.

I think anything 6'8"+ extra fast works.

Yeah they had a streak there for a couple years and you wouldn't catch me with one. This new batch though earned Field & Stream's Editor Pick. They really got their stuff together with this one!