• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if u have the capability for a pict to post it would be greatly appreciated. still too early for shrooms or the others here in N MN. recently had overnight temps in the teens. thanks much!!!

K2

And you can always tell its them by their delicious onion/garlic smell. One of my favorites is potato & leek soup with bacon. MMM.

I also like to chop up the leaves, and dry them. Use it as a seasoning all year long.

You can also pickle them, haven't tried it, but will when they start to show up this spring(up north).

The whole plant is edible, and delicious, I usually find them near rivers.

Once upon a time I got a recipe for leek potato soup from a monk at St John's University. I think it is a french recipe. It called for two cups of chopped leeks I think it was. It sure was pungent stuff.

Wild Leeks, they have a powerful onion/garlic taste and smell. They say if you find a patch you should only harvest 10% of the patch otherwise they will not reproduce. I like to throw a few in while frying some Morels. If you eat these raw you probably would not want to kiss your better half for at least a day.

Every time I go to one of my Morel spots I smell something that smells like onions. Maybe it's ramps I just have never tried them before or know what to look for. The pic about will be helpfull as I will try and look for them next time. How do you eat them? confused

Leech if you look back on this thread some of the guys posted what they use them for. i have never had them but i'm going to start looking for them myself. probably great for soups, stews, and stirfry's. good luck.

The bottom of the ramp tastes great raw, lots of flavor. The top or green leafy part I like to use with a lettuce salad or on a sandwitch.But like reinhard said they go good put into anything you would like to add flavor too.leech if you find them bring along a litte shovel. The roots run deep and you cant just pull them out.The top leaves look like a lilly and the bottom is just like a green onion.

Yep, those are some great looking ramps! Somebody spent some serious time bent over the sink... wink

I like to chop the bulbs and fry them in some bacon grease or butter. Awesome in scrambled eggs or omelets.

I only have one spot where I can find them in any abundance, and usually pick a handful every year while out hunting morels and fiddles. They are quit pungent. Very strong belching and breathing for a day or two to follow...

someone said they grow everywhere and i'm sure that's the case. what areas are the best to look for. sunny or shaded or both? i have mostly sandy soil here in this area. does that make a difference or should i go for more of a mix of soil?. good luck.

Wild Leeks, they have a powerful onion/garlic taste and smell. They say if you find a patch you should only harvest 10% of the patch otherwise they will not reproduce. I like to throw a few in while frying some Morels. If you eat these raw you probably would not want to kiss your better half for at least a day.

Even cooked if you overdo it you may find yourself aromatic enough to be offensive to folks around you. There are ramp festivals in some places, but either everybody eats them or nobody. They can be that powerful. If you like strong onion or garlic, though, they are delicious.

I found those ramps in an area hunting for shrooms. The soil seemed pretty fertile, no real mix of sand in it. Low lying area with with swamp close by. Lots of leaves on the ground in a mix of big oaks, walnut and elm trees.

I used these in scrambled eggs, fried rice and tortilla roll-ups. Very good! Although they are strong when eaten raw. I thought they were fantastic when sauteed.