• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TEAM 6- "BEARD BUSTERS"

pumper317

Next week can't come soon enough.

Still seeing quite a few turkeys on my property.

The group seems to be getting smaller though.

There has been a lot less gobbling the past couple of mornings but that could be due to the rain and wind.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck hugonian! Hope it picks up between now and then. I know the feeling. Have to wait until may 4th, since i can't take the 3rd off... Really itching bad now. I guess that's why they say patience is a furtue... Because it should be left for the monks. I don't have it.

We are on the board again! I got our third submission this morning. Looks like a 23 pounder and a 10 inch beard. I'll try and get pics on this evening or tomorrow morning. Great hunt for me also. Took a little work to get him but for the first time ever I had one fly down right to me!

Awesome news elevator guy. I as well am excited to hear the story. I saw in the results that some illihunter or something got a bird too for the beard busters... Is he on our side? If so that would be 4.

Great going team!

I saw in the results that some illihunter or something got a bird too for the beard busters... Is he on our side?

sorry, i f'd that up. blush

guess i wanted to be on you guys' team. grin

but, seriously, GOBBLER GETTERS are gonna be tough to beat. laugh

It's O.K. IlliniWalli-

It is only natural to want to be part of the top team.

Pretty soon Donbo will be trying to join us. grin

shockedlaughcrazy You wish! You'll all be "Thunderstuck" by the end of next week! cool

Well guys here is a pick of my bird!

img0399pk.jpg

Shot at 2012-04-21

Wow what a great Minnesota season for me! I had probably my best turkey hunt I have ever had in Minnesota! I saw plenty of birds and had many close encounters till I finally sealed the deal this morning on my last chance and in the rain.

On my first day I had 3 toms in range at different places only to have a wonderful line called a property boundary in my way. It amazes me how they seem to know that extra 10 yards will cost them dearly. Especially when I don't have permission on the side they happen to be on. Well anyway on my second day we tried another property I didn't get to on the 1st day. I hadn't been to this property before other than driving by but my dad had hunted it last year. So we went in in the dark and my Pa got turned around just a bit so we just decided to park our butts. Well a good thing we did cause another 100 yards and we would have been darn near under the birds. Well anyway we had 2 different birds in different directions gobbling like crazy. And of course they went the wrong way. After about 45 minutes after I last heard the one he started our way. Well long story short I had Mr. Sly the fox wreck that opportunity. Had him about 80 yards and gobbling and coming to have the fox turn him not once but twice and he actually treed the turkey. That sucked but was kinda neat to see. Well after they took off I decided to go up the ridge just to look around and got up towards the top and I heard them clucking so I quick parked my butt and was able to call 2 toms down to only have them hang up and 60 yards. So after that we went to one of the places I was at the day before and located one on the right side of the fence this time and called him in to only have him to hang up at 60 yards. Kinda kicking myself for forgetting the decoy in the truck. Oh well it's still fun! So we went back to the morning place to try and catch them coming back to roost. Only to have only hens around. Well it crept up to about 20 min till sunset and shooting time so I decided to get out of there and I walked to the bottom and while I was talking to my dad we heard one fly up right at sunset right where I just came down from. So we snuck out a little further and tried to get a gobble at dark and got nothing. So a 50/50 guess hen or tom?

Well I had 1 more place I hadn't hit so the debating began. Go to where birds supposedly where in a field most mornings or go back to where one was but not knowing if it was a tom or hen or were there others we didn't hear fly up. And also the weather was gonna be a factor too. It was supposed to be raining. So I decided to go back and take a chance on that spot and since I got to get a good feel of the woods I had the master plan! Well I woke up to dampness and sprinkles and thinking I would set up till the birds were gone or I was wet then head to the other place and sit in the blind till I had to head home. So I went in early and up a ridge, down along a fence the slid in close to where the bird was roosted and was settled about 45 min before shooting time. I went in light with only my mouth calls and in rain gear to minimize noise. Well with the rain it actually helped me with noise cause of the leaves and as it got light low and behold that bird gobbles. Uh oh could I get this lucky?? So after he gobbled a few times on his own I decided to put out just a few soft yelps and some clucks as quiet as I could with a mouth call. And wouldn't you know it he landed about 65 yards away and came right to me.. And then bang I got my bird. I have NEVER EVER had a bird do that in how many times I have roosted and set up on them. I always have heard of this myth but never believed it until it actually happened to me. grin It also helped with him being alone and the noise of the rain muffling my calls. So with 12 or so years of turkey hunting I had a plan come together just as I saw in my head the night before. It is kinda neat since it seems I always have had shift on the fly.

Well I know I was I was a little long winded but I had a blast the last couple of days and as if I am not already hooked on turkey hunting this just makes it worse! Bring on the Black Hills in only 10 more days!!!

Well hopefully we will have turkey no. 4 on the board tomorrow. smile

Activity remains high on the property.

Did some scouting today and the were gobbling pretty good.

Last year I had the same confidence level but the turkeys outsmarted me every step of the way. I guess that's part of the mystique of turkey hunting. I need to get that monkey off my back.

The weather should be good and I am ready.

Good luck Hugonian1!

And I feel your pain about that heavy monkey! It took me six tries in the Hills and it took me five tries in Mn to get a jake and six to finally get a Tom. But once I got that 1st one in the Hills I've gone 3 for 5 since. And 2 birds in a row in Mn.

So once you knock that monkey off look out grin So once again good luck!

Sounded like a exciting hunt elavatorguy!

Good Luck Hugonian!

I will be leaving for Nebraska in the morning. I will be out there until Sunday morning. Its a hunting trip I look forward to every year.

Frankly I hate setting up on roosted birds because more often than not the old cliche "roosted ain't roasted" applies.

WD

Exactly!! Like I have said before with the years and trips turkey hunting and I couldn't count how many birds I have roosted and have never had one come to me. I always thought it had to be some sort of myth! grin So that's why I was so excited to actually have a plan work just like I had pictured in my head!

And I still always try and roost birds cause all the experienced hunters seem to always say they will come back and look for you at some point in the day. But then again that hasn't really ever happened either! So that is why I absolutely love the challenge of hunting these birds!!!

Well bird number 4 is in the bag for "Beard Busters" smile

The morning hunt went better than planned- for once!

He is quite a bird- for me and the area.

24lbs 4oz

11-1/4" beard

1-1/8" hooks.

I could not be happier.

It will probably take me a couple of days to get the pictures and story up.

It is now time to "cull" the entries. grin

Heck of a bird Hugo. Can't wait to see pics and read the story. Way to go team! 10 days for me... Getting excited. Land owner took a pic of a couple really nice ones in his back yard, and they have been gobbling every day.

Congrats to Hugo and all the team members on one heck of a good season thus far!