• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TEAM 6- "BEARD BUSTERS"

pumper317

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Wallydog you have had quite a year.

I got out this morning for a couple of hours with the bow. Had a Tom just inside the woods that wouldn't come out at about 60 yards. he just would gobble every 5 minsute, but wouldn't show his face. I did have a hen with two jakes run thru the decoys. I let an arrow fly over one of the jakes back. I might give it another try on friday

no go this weekend, but considering the weather and the ridges i had to climb... i was not too disappointed. Heard 3 or 4 gobbles in 2 days. Saw lots of birds sat afternoon. Put the sneak on 3 longbeards in a field, and after 100 yards of belly crawling in full gear in 90 degree weather, I stood up. Birds were 80 plus yards away, and got away... Go figure. Lots of learned things, as always, but nothing to show for it. Saw some nice birds though. Going earlier next year, and hoping for better weather. Hope everyone else had a good weekend. Sorry I couldn't help out the team, but it isnt for the lack of trying.

I went out yesterday afternoon, I had a hen come by me twice. Both times within 20 yards. I didnt hear or see any Toms. Used no decoys and called real sparingly. I will have to try a differnet spot.

Last hurrah for me......going to set a blind this afternoon and a good friend that has a controlled hunt tag on the Boise River will hopefully put the wood to a gobbler in the morning. Maybe see #11 meet it's waterloo!

Good Luck Wally

I got permission from another farmer yesterday. So im kind of excited for the next time i get a chance to go out. He says its probably the best spot in the county. We will see. I hope he is right!

Well we didn't get it done Wednesday...BUT this morning (last day of the season)in the rain I called in 2 longbeards that were so so silent and cautious. My pal whacked this absolute stud of a Rio Grande at 38 paces. I really didn't figure he was going to close the distance any further. We are watching his running mate dance around the flopper and peak back into the decoys and see another stud longbeard working over my Dave

Smith jake....he came out of a blind spot to the flopper only to get short-stopped by the decoys. Got a little video of him. This made 11 birds whacked out of my turkey silo this year. Epic spring indeed.

10" beard, honest 1.25" hooks, ~20#.

550987_3927374380998_1233469278_n.jpg

535992_3927377421074_1787135419_n.jpg

522203_3927383501226_1178831845_33843090

That bird definitely has some awesome spurs well done Wally

I'm still trying to get one with my bow. I have had a few encounters, but couldn't get them close enough. I have tried decoys and no decoys. I have got a few gobbles from my calling, but they haven't closed in on me. I dont think I have been over calling either, plus I haven't been Hunting mid to late morning.

Most of the toms have been with hens too.

I will take any suggestions if you have any.

Del,

I was still calling quite agressively yesterday and the birds did come to the call, tho they didn't vocalize. I'd sure give yourself a little more time as well. I've always said that if I had to choose 4 hours to hunt turkeys it would be from 10-2. Patience, patience, patience. Best O luck.

WD

Delz,

I am in the same position trying to get one with my bow. Last weekend I heard a lot of gobblers and saw a tom, jake with some hens. But they just didn't want to come within range. So I set out my blind so that it should make it a little better to be able to draw and not get busted. Sure enough this morning didn't see/hear one turkey. Went out in the evening for about 2 hours and I heard a few putts and clucks but couldn't see through the brush. Tomorrow I'm going to try to hunt the mid to late morning. Just wondering if it is still worth it to hunt at sunrise. The landowner says that he sees them later in the morning then again I don't want to skip hunting sunrise show up a little later and walk in on the turkeys.

Thanks

Well my contributions made for some awesome culling, in my opinion, but whos to judge. Great job to those on the team who supported, and congrats to all those who were successful this spring in getting a bird. Hopefully next year will be as fun as this year was, and I didn't even get to put a bird in the freezer.

Congrats to all my fellow teammates. Good job guys.

I ended harvesting a jake with my bow, 2nd to the last day of the season. I was hoping for one with a longer beard but time wasn't in my favor.

Fun stuff guys.

It was a great season and the contest adds another way to interact with our fellow turkey hunters.

Thanks Borch for doing all the work and putting this together. I am sure the pay is not enough. smile

The only thing that would have made it better is another Donbo missed shot story. grin

The only thing that would have made it better is another Donbo missed shot story. grin

Sorry to let you all down. crazy No misses this year, maybe next. We can always hope! laugh