• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TEAM 6- "BEARD BUSTERS"

pumper317

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am finally getting an opportunity to get some computer time in.

I got my bird submitted.

This has been a hectic week but it started out with a BANG. smile

I got out in the blind early Monday. It was a beautiful crisp morning. The anticipation was high as I had pretty good turkey activity on my property leading up to my hunt and thought I had the birds patterned pretty well. With that being said the same was true last year and the turkey's kicked my butt. Every time I zigged, they zagged.

As daylight broke I heard a couple of faint gobbles from the woods west of me. This is where they roost. It was pretty quite until around 6:45 when a lone hen came thru in front of me. I thought it was odd she was alone. The next half hour there was no gobbling and no activity. I was enjoying the myraid of ducks, geese, pheasants, woodpeckers, etc. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw some movement and started hearing some hen noise. It was a parade of turkey heading my way, lead by a bearded hen that I have seen the last couple of years. She has a good 7 or 8" beard. There was 8 or 10 other hens, a jake and then a Tom pulling up the rear. He was not strutting or fanning, he was just moving along. I got my gun ready and was waiting for a good shot when out of nowhere another Tom lets out a big gobble. It scared the begezzers out of me. I could not see him but he was coming from the same direction as the other turkeys. The birds were starting to get a little nervous it seemed. I thought they may have seen some movement or sensed somthing. Thet started to slowly move away and I thought I had blown it. Then the other Tom gobbled again and now I could see him coming. He was definately the bigger dominant Tom. He was fanned out and putting on a good show. True to form he started to veer away from me but was not spooked. I had lost track of the other Tom but there were still quite a few hens milling around. They had all moved to around 60 yards from me and went behind a little brush. I watched them there for 10 or 15 minutes. Everytime I thought they were going to move my way they turned or veered back. It was like they knew somthing was up but not to the point they were spooked. All this time I had my Benelli Super Nova up and ready. Thank God for the shooting sticks. Finally a few of the hens started working my way and the big Tom started following. There was a 10' wide pocket in the brush they were behind and as soon as he popped into the opening I dropped him. It was about a 35 yard shot and the Federal Premium Mag Shok did it's job. My season was all of 2.5 hours old and I had my bird. It was kind of bittersweet. I love the hunt more than the harvest. The last couple of years I have gotten a lot of hunting in as the harvest did not happen. I just sat in the blind for 10 or 15 minutes taking it all in. Several hens continued to mill around oblivious to what had happened. I gathered my things and went over to collect the bird. I could not believe how big he was. I knew he was a mature Tom but he exceeded my expectations.

He was 24lbs 4oz.

Had an 11.25" beard and 1-1/4" & 1-3/16" hooks.

This is only my 2nd turkey.

The extra weight was obviously in the breasts as I could not believe the amount of meat I got from him.

This is definately a magical sport that has no comparison.

The Spring woods are awesome to be in.

I will be out there tomorrow morning with my son who is hunting season "C".

Hopefully he can enjoy the same type of experience.

Here are a couple of pictures taken after the harvest.

full-13193-19911-dsc00284.jpg

full-13193-19912-dsc00293.jpg

Went out with my son this morning for the "C" season opener.

Absolutely no turkey noise at all.

About 6:50 this guy came in heading toward my new D.S. decoy.

He weighed 20lb 6oz with an 8" beard & 3/4" spurs.

The turkeys definalely are healthy after the easy winter.full-13193-19927-dsc00317.jpg

Awesome job Hugo! Congrats for your son too! I have 4 days to wait. Getting closer. Birds are somewhat patterned by the landowner, and I hope to have some good weather, and a bird in the truck by Sunday!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Sometimes the stars line up I guess.

Last year there were just as many birds around but they outsmarted us every step of the way.

Heading over to the Ellsworth area on Friday to hunt the weekend on 160 acres of private land we have permission to hunt on.

I hope the good luck continues.

I am not really sure what to expect in Sconny.

The landowner says he has been seeing turkeys and he has not let anyone else hunt the property.

We have not had time to do any scouting.

I would guess the turkeys will have a big cheese wedge on their head and a 12 pack of beer tucked under their wings. grin

I am not really sure what to expect in Sconny.

The landowner says he has been seeing turkeys and he has not let anyone else hunt the property.

We have not had time to do any scouting.

I would guess the turkeys will have a big cheese wedge on their head and a 12 pack of beer tucked under their wings. grin

Yup they make it easy,just wait for them to come stumbling back to the roost or catch them hazy eyed and hungover in the morning. shockedlaugh

Went scouting this morning at the local "spot." Got out there at about 520 and heard at least 6 different birds gobble, ove being a jake. To say I am excited is an understatement. Hopefully some stars align, and i have a story for all of you after it is over. Good luck team!

Good Luck to you pumper! Sounds like you will have multiple birds to try and work. Which is a nice option.

Good Luck Hugo in Scoony!

I will post some pics and details from my recent trip to Nebaska. When I get some extra time.

MN was a no go for me. Like Hugonian said last year... They were one step ahead. This morning set up on a roost. 70 yards from them, in early. They came down, we called, they gobbled and ran the other way...Closest I came. Awesome to be in the woods, even if they didn't cooperate... weahter included.

pumper,

Sorry you were not able to seal the deal.

Sometimes it seems like it is going to be easy but the Turkeys come out on top.

That is part of what makes this sport so intriguing I guess.

We did not have any luck over the weekend in Sconny either.

There was a lot of gobbling in between the rain out in the adjacent bluffs but not on the property we had access to. The rivers were flooding over after all the rain. Today would probobly be the day to be out there.