• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TEAM 6- "BEARD BUSTERS"

pumper317

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Iowa hunt starts on Monday. I will be hunting public land and will drive down there sunday. To do a little glassing and try to roost some birds for Monday morning. I'm getting excited now, as its almost game time.

I was doing a little scouting on my property today.

There were quite a few birds milling around.

I saw 1 "motley crew" hanging together that was interesting.

There was 2 mature Toms, 1 Jake, and a Bearded Hen. Quite the group!

Beard busters are unofficial on the board. I hope to get the submission sheet up and pictures tonite. It was a very windy day in Iowa. Saw a fair amount of birds, but only had the one opportunity. More details to come

Awesome Delzz7!!! Well hopefully by tomorrow afternoon we can have two on the board! It starts today but I won't get over to Perham till this afternoon so hopefully I'll get some hunting in this afternoon if not I'll be hard at it in the mornIng. And I am excited too cause my dad has been scouting for me and he has one that has been gobbling every time he has been there at the same time and place. So with some luck hopefully I can get a crack at him!

I finally got my submission up. It was a very windy day down there monday. I sat for the first three hours freezing without seeing or hearing anything. I decided to move to a different spot and of course came up on 3 hens. Im not sure if they saw me or not. So I decided to set up about 40 yards further than down from where they went into the woods. At that spot a Tom or Jake cruise by at about 70 yards, I couldn't see the beard. Two hens also came thru by themselves at different times.  After a few hours there I decided to go get some lunch. On my way out I spotted a Tom and a few hens in a field down in a gully.   So after lunch I headed down there to set up. As I was putting out some decoys.  I saw about 6 heads running on the other side of the tree line, busted.  I continued my set up and decided to wait an hour and then started to call real sparingly.  After about a couple of hours he came sneaking back in my set up. I shot him at about 35 yards.  He was probably the one that eluded me last year in about the same location. The birds barely made a peep all day.

Good Luck to you elavator guy tomorrow

Congrats to you Wallydog

It looks like were off to a good start.

Here are a few images from our opening 3 days in Idaho.

Birds were fairly cooperative. Did something on opening day that I have not experienced prior. Called in 3 individual longbeards and whacked them at 0650, 0700 & 1000. 2 "MUTT"s (idaho MoUnTain Turkeys) and a nice marked eastern. Let the jakes walk several times...! My customized strutting jake has rally had the dump beat out of him in the last week. Randy killed the eastern marked bird first as he was perched on top of my stutter. TB's bird answered moments after the first kill and he came strutting in with a hen while Randy's bird laid next to the toppled over jake strutter. I worked my bird in last, he was very cautious swinging around us 180 degrees because of 4 jakes approaching from a different direction, we'd heard them, just not seen the teenagers.

It was indeed a remarkable morning!

Tuesday we moved the turkey "silo" about 150 yards because the toms just wouldn't close the gap into our spread. Upon inspection the landowners logging had all but closed the skids roads to our original setup. Anyhoo whilst dozing at 1 pm I woke to a buzzing sound that was 2 2 year olds spitting and drumming 15 yards from us. 1, 2, 3 and the rest is history. Enjoy the images.

547994_3653355450696_1178831845_33726756

535556_3653350810580_1178831845_33726744

295256_3653357490747_1178831845_33726764

403383_3653348090512_1178831845_33726742

578718_3653351690602_1178831845_33726746

576374_3653347170489_1178831845_33726740

528782_3653360050811_1178831845_33726767

hugonian1 Im not sure how much pressure is there on that piece. I have ran into other hunters out there. I think it helps, that I go the first season, which is during the week.

Wallydog that sounded like an awesome hunt. Great Job.

Why do you call them MUTTS?

Great hunts from both of you wallydog and delzz. Can't wait to hear more stories from the team! Great start, gets the blood boiling... And i still have 2 weeks to wait. Keep them coming team 6! Gorgeous birds Wally, love me some white bands!

Good luck Elevatorguy!