• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Socks?

mabr

How many guys using rod socks?

I’ve been wondering for a while now and I think they might fill a need I have. My boat only has the rod organizing tubes on one side of my rod boxes, the other side is wide open. This open side is usually used for spinning rods or the occasional casting rod when I want more than the 12 that the other side carries. But man sometimes getting a rod out of there without having to remove every other rod can be a pain in the butt. Busted guides and tips, tangled lines etc etc.

Will the rod socks prevent this? How about using the socks in the rod tubes most bass boats have, do they go in easier or not or are they more difficult to use with the tubes?

I definitely would recommend them for the open side. In the tubes they may help protect tips and guides from getting broken when putting them away or taking them out as well. On my R80 there is only open rod storage, no tubes. The stick jackets work great!

I use Slix rod covers. And yes, they will help everything you stated above. I would suggest going to the Bass Expo at the National Sports Center in Blaine April 20-22 and stopping by the Slix booth. They will have some sales for sure!

I thought they were the stupidest thing until I tried them. Love them. My favorite one is the bass pro one. Only goes to 7ft though, I used the Cabela's ones for my longer rods. They would be better if they didn't have the velcro on the tip (tangles with other rod socks).

They are a god send.. in many boats you can get multiple rods in tubes if they are in socks.. and then for keeping them organized in the open side too.. I have a dozen spinning and a dozen baitcasting, best money invested ever.

Like Cecil I use the Slix Rod Covers.

Over the Winter I removed the tubes from my rod locker so that I could get more and longer rods in there. I bought 18 rod socks for my rods. The four brands I bought were: Rod Glove, Outkast Slix, Falcon Rod Sock and Stick Jacket. I haven't had the boat out yet to try the new system but the Outkast Slix appear to be the best of the four.

+1 on the Slix. They have been an absolute life saver in my boat. I Just have a general rod storage compartment with no tubes whatsoever. Put a good 8-10 rods in there and good luck getting out of the middle with out some eyelets catching or line tangling, much less the bottom rods!

I really like the Slix anyways cause they're Minnesota made and they were the best deal no less. Quality product and you won't regret getting some (any brand) either way!

Best investment for storage in the boat. All of mine have a cover. Rods slide right out with no hang ups/tangles. I have both rod slicks and cabela's cover. I think the slicks are better. Bought mine at the sportshow a few years back. If you buy a high amount he might give you a good deal like he did with me. The only problem I've had are some spinning rods have a elongated first eye(closest to reel) which makes you buy a wider size or it won't fit.

I purchased The Rod Glove over the winter for all my rods, and so far absolutely love them. Price ranges from $6.49 to $8.49 each depending on the size. They slip right on and fit firm enough without the sock to reel gadget. They also sell a velcro band that you can use to tie 4 or 5 rods together. I really like that for fishing events as a co-angler, it makes hauling everyhting to someones boat easier and tangle free.