• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting ready for the season.

It is that time of year when the spring fishing will just get better and better. Before hitting te big water save yourself from the "boatlanding blues" and do some spring cleaning and prep work. I like to start with the trailer and make sure that the lights work, there aren't any cracked wires or loose connections, next I check tire pressures and inspect my trailer tires for any uneven or unseen wear from the previous season and will replace them if needed. Check your spare tire and make sure it is inflated to the proper level. Check the bearings and regrease or repack if needed. The next thing I check is the bunks and rollers to make sure all hardware and nuts and bolts are tight and in place. I like to carry extra bulbs in the glovebox of the truck just in case, and on longer runs to Lake Michigan, I will carry an extra set of wheelbearings and the tools needed to change them out. Nothing worse then being stuck in the middle of nowhere without the needed tools and parts for roadside repairs.

Next give the boat a once over. Check the batteries, are the fluids topped off and are they fully charged. Check the fluids for your boat motor and ensure they are full, grease any zerts with a quick shot of grease. Check your boat lights and electronics. Check your marine radio and antenna. Do you have the needed safety equipment aboard, lifejackets, a throwable with 50' of rope, flares(check to see if they are expired or good for the current season), emergency flag, whistles, drift sock, anchor with sufficient line to anchor up in deep water(I carry 300' of line), signal mirror. Check your bilge pump and make sure it is in working order. I like to run a bit of water into the bottom of the boat and switch the bilge pump on the make sure it pumps at full capacity. Clean th transom well where the bilge pump is located as any debris floating around can restrict the pumping capacity of the bilge pump. Carry extra fuses in the glove box for any needed on the water emergency repairs. Make sure the fire extinguishers are charged and readily accessable. Check your steering cables for wear, make sure motor mount nuts are secure. Last, I like to run the motor in the driveway with muffs to ensure that the water pump is working and the motor is running smoothly and idles fine.

When fishing big water like Superior or Lake Michigan it is always good to have a ditch kit. A waterproof, fully sealable bouyant container with emergency equipment in it like a handheld GPS, small strobe lights, extra flares, whistle, handheld marine radio and/or a cellphone, compass, a signal mirror and a two day supply of any medicine you might need. Hopefully you will never need it!

What other things do you do to prepare to hit the water?

Tunrevir~

you know i walked by the flare gun display the other day, but i'm going to get me one now that you mentiond it here in your very important post. an emergency can happen anywhere in the outdoors and this could be a lifesaver. good luck.

I don't know that flares would be the signal device of choice if not on oceans or great lakes. It would be like someone trying to find the source of a roman candle to most people. I wouldn't connect a flare in the air to an emergency if I wasn't on the water working. You should consider a spot beacon or something along those lines, they definately get the emergency message out better. I would look into the legality of shooting off flares in a situation off federally regulated waters, it most certainly could be a fire hazard. I have at least a couple dozen 12 ga. expired flares, if you want a few you're welcome to them. By the way, I have heard from several people that flare guns are illegal in Michigan unless you have some state issued conceal and carry permit. I must be inspected by the USCG every year and they have never mentioned it and I am in Michigan waters almost daily.

flares(check to see if they are expired or good for the current season), emergency flag, whistles,

Tunrevir~

Do you know if they changed the law on flares? I thought they were required on Lake Superior but they are not mentioned in the 2012 regs for MN or WS.

lake superior is the only body of water in Minnesota that requires Coast Guard approved visual Distress Signals [VDS]. [Federal Requirment].there are a number of defferent types of VDS including pyrotechnics; smoke, hand held flares, aerial frares and parachute flares], electronic [flashing light that automatically signals "SOS" and flags. you can find this information on the DNR site under "Lake Superior Safety Information". good luck.

I am interested in the flare/signal safety thing too. Does anyone know if its legal to bring a flare gun across the border from MN to Ontario?

If not, can you tell me more about this other kind of flashing signal device you guys were referring to - "spot beacon" ?

I would like to put something in the boat this year for those canada trips.

The list above is very complete - I may add to check the gas lines - especially if you have an outboard connection where you use the tilt and trim a lot. Those rubber gas lines tend to get brittle and can crack over the Winter. I know this from experience and had to do some modifications in the middle of the water a few year ago on a cracked gas line hose.

I don't know about a flare gun crossing the border, I wouldn't try it without knowing for certain which would mean contacting CBSA. I believe it could be considered a handgun and that definately will not get across. I don't agree with using flares as an emergency signal on waters where they are not required simply from the standpoint that there may be little or no knowledge of flares as emergency signals. If you have an emergency and need help why risk total ignorance of the device you're depending on. The same goes for VHF radios if you are alone. Search spot beacons, they are a device that transmit user identified signals via satellite to search and rescue agencies, I believe some are also capable of transmitting one line messages to someone at home, like "hi, everything is alright, having fun" or just a lat/lon position. I think you could be better served by this device than flares.

Oh gotcha. I know exactly what your talking about. Its something like "spot" locator. The option looked really cool - but i think it was around 200 bucks plus a monthly fee to use. Thats just too much for me for a week or 2 up north. Plus, at least where I go its isolated, but not THAT isolated. The worst it could mean would be a night in the boat...and I could get help the next morning at daylight.

I am not sure if I buy your theory that nobody would notice a flare. Maybe if your not in a group situation - and were just out by yourself and nobody was expecting you back. A random flare might not mean much to someone on shore miles away. But where I go - its usually with another boat or at least the "resort". If you werent back by an hour after sundown or so - someone would figure something is up and probably come looking. A flare could be seen within a number of miles from camp and they could easily identify where you are at.

Wow, I had no idea the Spot things had a monthly cost. I think the flares would work in a situation like yours where the people you are with would recognize it as a signal from prior discussion. My point was that the average person in a cabin or on a boat on or near an inland lake wouldn't recognize it as a call for help.

Depending on your location a handheld flare is good if you have a srtaight line of sight, if not you would need an aerial flare. I would do some checking with CBSA as far as getting across the border with them, if you plan to declare it. I know I've never been asked if I am carrying aerial flare, but handguns every time.

I agree with you Transporter...didnt mean to sound disagreeable or anything. I did like the idea of that spot locator - you can sned texts etc...with it. But I am sure it comes with a monthly fee of some kind too for the satellite access. I am betting the border guys wont allow a flare gun across but I am going to check on it.

I just looked up the spot locator and it has a 1 year $99 service fee. They also now sell a bluetooth device that lets you use your iphone as the spot device. Didn't look at the price for it but you're still going to have to pay that $99 a year.

Yep, good call, also check the terminal rigging components. I had a large swivel rust out and fail and ended up with a 12# ball in 90 fow. Fortunately, the line on the rod wound around the weight and I was able to retrieve it. It is also good to have a pair of leather gloves handy and a good sharp wire cutter accessable when working with cable. I believe it is a law on lake Michigan to have a sidecutter but makes good sense anyways.

Tunrevir~