• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone got a Marcum LX 7 review??

SwivelDigger, Do you know what version of software is on yours?? How was your bottom reading? I bought and returned mine after not being able to get a clear / solid image of the bottom. I changed several settings (open water / ice mode, sensitivity, ping speed, color palettes, ect) and the bottom seemed to be bouncing, looking like a fish may be coming in on the bottom, a weed may be under me, or baitfish may be under me. My FL-18 showed a clear, solid bottom. This was a consistent finding over 2 days and multiple spots.

Many reports of this same issue,along with others, that supposed updates that are coming out to clear this up. Funny that some have this issue and some don't. Just curious if you have a newer version of software. Thanks for the report.

The first run definatly had a few bugs - bottom flicker and jump, the sensitivity adjust was not fine enough, no dynamic depth...

I got to test out an update this weekend. They are still working on it but should be ready soon, real soon. cool

I will say that the unit is really sweet! The display alone is awesome. Settings and options are about endless. Dynamic depth is really nice, target id got tightened up, and the bottom is rock solid.

The update took a few minutes tops with a few simple instructions and a USB cord... Really neat to be able to update and upgrade that way...

My LX-7 is the first version of the software and I have some of the bottom flickering going on. I manually set the depth range instead of using the auto depth, and more or less ignore the flickering bottom since Marcum said it was a software issue that would be corrected. The target id and seperation is good enough that I learned to interpret what was a fish and what was flickering. The first time or two I used it I didn't care for it all that much, but now that I've used it more I like it more and more all the time.

Over the last 3 days I had the opportunity to use an LX-7 with newer software, which is supposed to be released to the public soon. To say it is a night-and-day difference is an understatement. No flickering. Much smoother and better adjustment in the sensitivity and target id settings. It was impressive.

So, complaints I have about the LX-7 .......

1) Not crazy about the soft pack for hole hopping. It works but is not as convenient or nice a setup as the Marcum flashers or the Vex soft pack.

2) Wish the graph display was a little bigger (showed a little more history) when using it at the same time as the flasher and zoom displays.

3) Still looking forward to the Dynamic Depth feature, still haven't seen it.

Things I like about the LX-7 .......

1) Like all the customization that is available, including the color settings, and backlight/brightness level

2) Like that the software can be updated

3) Like the clearness, sharpness, crispness of the display

4) Love Marcum's IR and Zoom (best in the industry)

5) Like having the soft-key or hot-key buttons to quickly adjust range, zoom, sensitivity, target id, and beam angle. Much quicker and easier than going into the menu settings. Similar to the soft-keys on some Lowrance and HB open water units.

Not sure what version mine is. I'm assuming the first. I got it about a week and a half two weeks ago. My screen does not jump at all and it seems to pick fish up before my buddy's vex. The bottom stays solid . We are fishing in a permanent house in 26 feet of water. Fished with a couple hb 55's last week in my house and they seemed a lot closer to a match than my buddy's 18 IMO . And I really used to like his vex.

Not sure what version mine is. I'm assuming the first. I got it about a week and a half two weeks ago. My screen does not jump at all and it seems to pick fish up before my buddy's vex. The bottom stays solid . We are fishing in a permanent house in 26 feet of water. Fished with a couple hb 55's last week in my house and they seemed a lot closer to a match than my buddy's 18 IMO . And I really used to like his vex.

If I looked at the right spot in the menu, mine looks like it is running ver 1.1 . to check turn your unit on press the menu button. then arrow to the simulator. press it and at the top it should say settings v1.1 or what ever your's is. this is the only spot in any of the menu screens I seen a ver listed.

3) Still looking forward to the Dynamic Depth feature, still haven't seen .

I'd trade a dynamic depth in the bush for a second adjustable zoom. Something with 5' increments ranging from 5 to 300'. Auto and ice fishing is bad mojo IMO. In March we'll be needing dynamic depth working.? The v2 stuff is a vast improvement from what I've seen. Rock solid, tight lines, overall smoother with less flicker. I hope it's out soon, my v1 is getting lonely.

Thanks Dark. I'm hoping the 2.5 takes the "7" up to where it should have been when they were released. Updates are great, but I'm a bit frustrated that the updates, at this point, are just getting them up to par. I'd like to get into another "7", but am gonna wait til all the R&D is completed, and it does as advertised. Thanks for your report and research.

Have run my LX7 for 12 hours and no sign of low batteries. Did probably help to have it in the wheelhouse, with warmer air temps and backlight down to zero for night fishing.

Having some bottom flickering and occasional screen flickering too. Again, not happy with that, but nothing a software update can't fix.

At first I wasn't sure if the LX7 was a good idea, was considering an Lx5 for a while. But after putting more time on the LX7, I love it. It takes a little getting used to with going from a flasher to a digital flasher.

The zoom is awesome, this past weekend put it to good use. Adjusted to 5 foot window, and off the bottom. Beautiful. And with the full flasher graph on I could see when tullibees would show up at 10 ft depth and move my jig up to them.

Looking forward to this software update.

Just wish the lines are as fine as on the other Marcums, especially with the zoom window.

Another thing, is the IR is awesome. On LOTW, and had a VX1, Lx3, Lx5 and HB ICE 55 plus my LX7 all going in the house, and could adjust for the interference very good, not 100% all the time of course, but impressed by how it filtered out the other Marcums.

Being able to switch from 20 deg to 8 deg cone is awesome too.

All in all, I am starting to get more comfortable with it and don't regret it now. Just wish those lines could be as fine as on the other models. You'll love it.

Saw them on sale at Reeds in Walker for 629. Not bad. They still had a stack 4 ft tall of them in store.

Another thing, is the IR is awesome. .

Saw them on sale at Reeds in Walker for 629. Not bad.

Although frustrated with the flickering and "thicker" lines than I'm used to, the IR is impressive. I fished with an LX7 and FL-18 in the same hole. No interference with either. Nice to know if they get the rest straightened out, the IR shouldn't ever be an issue.

Glen's Army Navy has at $579. Cabela's in Roger's had several (one probably mine) for $525 in the bargain cave. Most places have dropped the price. It will be interesting to see what they go for if / when the issues are cleared up.

How is the battery life compared to the previous lx's?

I had mine up at Lake of The Woods over the weekend and did a hard battery test. With the 9 amp/hr battery the unit came with i fished it all day friday(sunup to sundown) and till about 2 pm saturday until the screen started flickering and going away and the batt meter was at the bottom (9 volts) and it was done.so just about 2 full days without shutting it off during daylight hours. As far as performance i do believe i have an early software version so i have the (flicker) which i can easily deal with till i can get an update. Sensitivity is top notch and could see a minnow head come off my jig in 30 foot of water. It took me a bit when i first got the unit to get used to it but the more i use it the more i like it. Had a couple people visit the house and spent a fair amount of time talking about it lol. Then word must have gotten out cause a few more people showed up asking if the could see it in action. HMMMM would i spend that amount of money to buy it again if i had the choice DEFINITELY.

Dark Cloud &/or PerchJerker,

Did either of you get a chance to run the 3.0 update? Will the 2.5 still come out soon? Rumor is the Dynamic Depth comes with the 2.5, and that the flicker would be a thing of the past. What's gonna come with the 3.0??

Thanks for the real world info guys. I have been thinking about buying one for a few weeks now. I take it all these updates can be done at home with a laptop?

when they were introduced that ability wasnt available yet but it is equipped for it yes. rubber door on the back of the unit with the port in it.

Yep, quite simple and straight forward - a standard USB cord and a computer. I recieved my test update through e-mail, saved it to the desk top, press a few buttons on the 7, hook up the usb cord, a window opens for the USB port, then click and drop it on the USB port, seconds later it was in there. Not sure how they will deliver it to 7 owners.

They are also working on a "how to" video. cool