• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

decent bolt action .223?

Agreed!! I just purchased a new savage model 12FV with the bull barrel off of a gun auction HSOforum for $549. Thing is a tack driver right out of the box. That accutrigger is a great feature. I have not played with the setting on mine as of yet, but I love it already.

When it comes to accuracy, Savage has the edge in varmint rifles...

Steve

I own a Steven's 200 in .223 really like the rifle. At the time I bought this gun the accutrigger was just comming out and after now I have a rifle with the accutrigger I probably would of saved my scheckles and got the .223 with the accutrigger but never the less the Steven's is a well built rifle with great accuracy and a great price tag.

If you want to further challenge yourself then I would reload your own. I have a Savage model 12 in .223. It was before the accu trigger so I installed a Timney trigger. I reload my own and find it enjoyable. Especially when you find that load that really drives them home.

If you want to further challenge yourself then I would reload your own. I have a Savage model 12 in .223. It was before the accu trigger so I installed a Timney trigger. I reload my own and find it enjoyable. Especially when you find that load that really drives them home.

not to hijack the thread but I was wondering about the reason for installing the Timney trigger when the Savage and Steven's already come with an adjustable trigger on their standard trigger system. Do you like the feel of the Timney better?

I bought my .223 rifle prior to the accu-trigger being introduced. It was not adjustable and was not very good. I now have a Model 16 in .300 WSM with an accu-trigger. Both triggers are very good. If I was forced to pick I would pick the Timney mostly because I have had it on since 2001. I will not however change out my accu-trigger.

I shoot a Remington 700 VLS and this rifle is very accurate.

In regards to reloading, I always shot factory ammo and a buddy of mine said he could reload me some ammo much more accurate thean what I was buying in the stores for factory ammo.

He is now reloading all my rifle ammo for every rifle as it turned my varmit rifle into a much better grouping. Never thought the gun could shoot as well as it does.

Factory ammo and I are all done.

I know nothing about reloading rifle ammo but he said he needed my rifle to chamber a few rounds to make sure he had everything correct. I really did not believe the reloads would make the difference it did in my rifle.

I'll give a shout out for the Tikkas, My buddy has a .223 and I have a .243 Both of us are very satisfied with them, my buddy has shot the staples off the target at 100 with his 223, I do not have that steady of a shot, and have only had the rifle for about a month, so, I need more time shooting it to be that dead on. Good luck!

I traded a savage .270 for the tikka .243, and I do not think the Tikka will be a gun I will ever part with, Very very nice gun. Ranks right up there with my .17 HMR! Harvey Lee, I think you would enjoy one, The bolts are smooth, easy to operate, and very comfortable to shoot, we primarily are shooting at yotes with ours, and they have been very enjoyable to hunt with!

I shoot a Remington 700 VLS and this rifle is very accurate.

In regards to reloading, I always shot factory ammo and a buddy of mine said he could reload me some ammo much more accurate thean what I was buying in the stores for factory ammo.

He is now reloading all my rifle ammo for every rifle as it turned my varmit rifle into a much better grouping. Never thought the gun could shoot as well as it does.

Factory ammo and I are all done.

I know nothing about reloading rifle ammo but he said he needed my rifle to chamber a few rounds to make sure he had everything correct. I really did not believe the reloads would make the difference it did in my rifle.

If you take the time to check out various loads/bullets you will be amazed at how accurate reloads can be. The only thing that I've seen come close were some Weatherby loads that cost something like $2.50 a round.

I traded a savage .270 for the tikka .243, and I do not think the Tikka will be a gun I will ever part with, Very very nice gun. Ranks right up there with my .17 HMR! Harvey Lee, I think you would enjoy one, The bolts are smooth, easy to operate, and very comfortable to shoot, we primarily are shooting at yotes with ours, and they have been very enjoyable to hunt with!

I have looked at the Tikka ands yes, the bolts are smooooth. I just do not know if it would be that much better than the .223 I have now. Very nice guns though if I decided I ever needed another.