• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

IceHouse Bob Memorial HSO Cool Cats 2012 ***Date & Location Change*** January 14th 7 am

Mark your calendars for what has turned into one of the highlights of the hard water season!

Host: Borch

When is the event

Sat Jan 14 2012 7am

What will we be catching?

Channel Catfish with an occasional Walleye,Crappie and Rock Bass mixed in

Where is the event?

Cool Cats will be on the Horseshoe Chain of Lakes located near Richmond/Cold Spring MN. Roughly 1.5 hrs Northwest of the Twin Cites. From 94 take 23 west to Richmond and then take 22 south to the lake.

We will be fishing Long Lake, south of Horseshoe Lake. There are two public access to park at for this event. Please monitor this thread closer to the event to confirm current ice conditions.

139.jpg

What should I bring?

Icehouse Bob Memorial Cool Cats Planning

First and foremost, a big smile, because you will be using it a lot smile

Typically we use basic walleye gear for catching the cats. We will set up one pole with an Ice Buster bobber or equivalent and a plain red hook with a cut piece of minnow (Fathead or Golden shiner) set just above the bottom, and then jig with the other pole rigged with a jigging spoon/minnow head. JB Lures Rattling Varmint in glow red is favorite among the catters.

A spring bobber has proven to be helpful for the light bite days.

Also as in years past, we will be having a potluck at noon, so bring along a favorite food item to share. Hopefully we can work out frying up some catfish as well.

Bring along the whole family and stay for a couple hours or stay all day.

We will try to get a bunch of holes punched for those that don't have an auger.

Click here to see the recap from last year

Hope to see you all there!

Jeff,

if you need help let me know. I plan to be there. the only thing I am concerned with is the ice might not be driveable for trucks and suvs. would someone have a snowmobile or fourwheeler there that could pull peoples houses out to the hole. I hope we get a good cold snap where it gets close to 0 degrees or even below 0 to thicken the ice. I need atleast 15 inches for my truck to feel safe on. I plan to try the bay off the winter access on the day after christmas if the ice is holding up still.

Brad

if I knew the ice could handle a snowmobile by then I would try to see if I could use my brother inlaw's snowmobile. but I would hate to drop his machine in the lake. lets see what the weather decides to do between now and then.

Guys, the bite has been really good up there the past couple of weeks! This earlier date should mean some better fishing for all of us.

Sure you might have to put off your silly walleyes and puny sunfish for a day, but this is a lot of fun. grin

Hope to see you all there!

Be sure to keep an eye on this post for up to date ice conditions and further details.

Very nice gesture adding the Icehouse Bob Title. He will be missed. frown

full-105-9576-020640x480.jpg

Well let the planning and talk begin. I'll be bringing along a fish fryer, batter and oil. I'll also bring a couple tables and fish cleaning boards.

Things that we'll need for sure besides fishing gear and a dish to pass.

2-3 garbage cans

Garbage bags

folks to bring cameras

Cooler to keep cats from freezing solid

Name tags and a markers(Bob's touch so we can put names and faces together easier)

Paper Plates

Plastic utensils

Napkins

Like I said in the Global thread, the bite has been good, this earlier date should provide some good action (crossing fingers).

Either way it will be a great time, and this GTG has proven to be a huge success year in and year out thanks to Borch, and everyone else involved. Nothing like a fresh chuck of golden catfish out of the hot oi1 washed down with some killer beans!

Hope your back in action by then Elwood. cool

I'm going to dig around a bit and see if I can't find a little something to give out for a big fish prize. I can't promise anything, but we'll see.

looking forward to this! gonna be nice to put a voice to some of you guys. i've got about 30lbs of venison steaks waiting to be turned into jerky. also gonna make a bunch of smoked meat sticks. i'll make sure to bring a bunch if i can hold off from eating them for that long! i'll also bring a dozen or so 2 liters of a variety of soda for everyone.

Hi, I'm Brad. My girlfriend and I will be attending. She's making some cupcakes for dessert. We'll be showing up in the late morning as long as its not to terribly cold that day. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Well mother nature continues to throw us a curveball this winter. Due to ice conditions the Icehouse Bob Memorial Cool Cats gathering location is being changed to Long Lake, Long Lake is located south of Horseshoe Lake on CR 22. After CR 22 turns sharply to the right you will take a right on Brown's Lake road. The public access is a mile or so down the road on the right. It's a short distance, (easy walking distance) to the fishing area from the public access. If that lot fills up there's additional parking across the road at the Brown's Lake access. Long Lake has more consistent ice conditions. It also has a very good catfish population,(plenty of crappies too). See the area map below.

139.jpg

See you there!

Thanks for the update Borch. I think the location change is a good idea. Much easier access and just as good of chance of getting some kitties. Also some good crappies to be caught.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.