• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wiring GPS to sled w/o battery

FishinFreaks

Wondering if anyone has wired a GPS into their sled that doesn't have electric start and a battery. How did you do it? I've got 97 SkiDoo Summit 670 w/ no battery. Want to either wire a cigarette adaptor for my H2Oc for wire my HDS-7 in directly. I realize that nothing will work when the sled is not running, but I don't need it once I get stopped.

Suggestions?

Wondering if anyone has wired a GPS into their sled that doesn't have electric start and a battery. How did you do it? I've got 97 SkiDoo Summit 670 w/ no battery. Want to either wire a cigarette adaptor for my H2Oc for wire my HDS-7 in directly. I realize that nothing will work when the sled is not running, but I don't need it once I get stopped.

Suggestions?

I wouldn't do it unless you want to burn out something! I did the same thing last year and I think it has to do with the difference between Volts and Watts! I blow the fuss on the cig lighter and the small one in my XOG GPS that I had to replace! cry You could hook up a small 12V Vex battery but what I ended up doing was getting one of the little 5V XPCL power chargers from Energizer which really is just a battery pack. I put that in a peice of foam and plug it right into my XOG. It works great and I get about 4 more hours out of it along with the GPS battery. If you hook up a Vex battery you could go for days I'm sure! wink

Your sled puts out AC voltage which is fine for lights and heated grips or shields.

Your GPS needs a "clean" DC voltage to wok properly and not damage it.

In order to achieve this you'll need a rectifier, some diodes, solder and wire.

There are several schematics on line to show you how.

I personally made a small battery holder and use a vex battery

to power my GPS, I can usually get a couple days out of it, then just charge it up for the next trip.

The GPS isn't going to work when it gets cold anyways. I'm not certain if your plans are to mount it where you can see it while riding or?

But from my own personal experience the best place to keep a GPS when you are out in the cold is in an inside pocket close you your body where it can get some body heat.

I mounted my to the hood of my sled and used my vex battery. It run perfect for the 3 day trip in michigan and it was below zero every morning and never got above 10 deg all day. Same setup also used in west yellowstone.

The GPS isn't going to work when it gets cold anyways. I'm not certain if your plans are to mount it where you can see it while riding or?

But from my own personal experience the best place to keep a GPS when you are out in the cold is in an inside pocket close you your body where it can get some body heat.

I mounted my XOG on my sled dash and it has never had an issue working out in the cold even with the touch screen. My H20 on the other hand would die in a very short time. frown

The 7amp hr battery mounted under the hood and wired to a plug will work fine and power an H20 for a very long time. Probably longer then the H20 power cord will hold out because the cold weather isn't going to do the power cord any favors as far as becoming brittle cracking and creating an open or short.

My H20 works fine in cold temps and I use rechargeable batteries and carry spares.

I hardwired my GPS to my sled without a battery using a how-to article at the dootalk HSOforum. I have a 05' REV so I don't know if the wiring is the same as a summit, but I bet it's close. It works just fine except the vibration of the sled causes the 12 power adapter to lose connection. If I had to do it over again i would get an aftermarket male and female 12V power adapter that has screw threads (and rewire the power cable for the gps) so the connection is solid all the time. I still need to carry back-up batteries anyway.