• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab won't eat

FishinCT

My 10 month old lab stopped eating his food a couple days ago. He will eat bits at a time, but never the whole thing in one sitting like normal. His behavior is completely normal, nothing out of the ordinary. His dumps are fine so there's no blockage or anything. He will eat other things we give him like treats and carrots, but just isn't interested in his food.

What is the deal here? Could it be bad food..do they get sick of the same thing over and over?

Just out of curiosity, is this a female?

My female got finicky for a few weeks and just dabbled with the food. We tried switching the food for her to a different flavor in the same brand. It didn't matter, it seemed to be a phase around the time of her first cycle.

My male never went thru a finicky cycle.

Just an opinion, but if it lasts longer than 2 weeks, may want to think of taking to the vet for a check up. In the mean time try switching up the food to see if that is the issue.

Cut back on the treats, sounds like its making a meal out of the treats and isn't hungry for the dog food.

Check your dog food, any mold or dampness?? How old is it? Maybe time to try a small bag of new stuff, same brand of course.

Buy a few cans of canned dog food, see if it will eat some of it. If no, get it to the vet ASAP. Thats the test they gave one of my dogs when she got bound up by too many peanuts (she got into the bird feed peanuts!!). Dopggy enema was next...

Last thing I would do, if it passed the canned dog food test, is start cutting back on portions and treats, it will start eating when its hungry.

Male dog, same brand of food we've used his whole life, fairly new bag of food and the food looks and feels just fine to me. Food is always kept in a dry place. Definitely not a treats issue, mainly just gave him those to see if he would eat something at all. He has been eating a little bit at a time since I first posted, just not near enough for him. It has been tentative when he eats, usually it takes less than a minute to eat his whole portion.

I will try some canned dog food tonight when I get home but other than that would there be any behavior things to look for?

My vizsla will do the same thing from time to time. Usually he eats his food normally and then he'll get into a mood where he'll just nibble once in awhile and end up leaving half the food in the bowl.

He never acts differently and never had any other issue. The vet chalked it up to him just not being hungry. Most dogs will eat whenever there is food available regardless if they are hungry, this is normal but not always the healthiest habit for a dog as it can lead to a fat dog. Healthy eating is only eating when hungry and that is what my dog does. He'll obiously go for treats whenever but the only treats he gets are vegetables (carrots, brocolli, and cauliflower are his favorites)

Of course there may be other reasons, partial blockage, bad food, etc... But if the dog is healthy in all other ways, is maintaining a healthy weight, and the food is good I'd bet he just isn't hungry.

My dog gets a lot of table scraps. Most the time he doesn't even touch his food until really early in the AM. He waits it out until he knows he is only getting his dog food. He leaves half of it there.

I agree probably just NOT hungry. If the dog is hungry it will eat what is there until its full. If everything seems fine and the dog is having normal bowel movements I wouldn't worry.

Are you feeding a good quality dog food and I do not mean Purina. Are you feeding th right protien? My dogs have eaten the same dog food since 1986. Granted not the same dog but different dogs and they have never ever turned thier nose up at dog food unless they were sick. If you keep changing dog food and they will become picky eaters. Very little table scraps if any at all. I do not feed table scraps. I make my own treats and they only get one in the morning and that is it. I have owned all sorts of hunting dogs and at least 30 through my life so far with hopefully many more to come.

Amen on the table scraps.....they are not good for a dog. I know....I know....we are ALL tempted to feed our pal left over meat scraps etc. but we have to rememember WE are in charge of caring for the dog and that means not allowing it to do things that are not good for it.

A bite here or there...fine. But not a steady diet of leftover stuff.

I've owned, trained, trialed and hunted labs for almost 30 years... they have all gotten table scraps... Many have lived into their mid-teens. all are healthy with great coats and clear eyes and plenty of drive.

I call B.S. on scraps not being nutritional... if they're good enough for human consumption, good enough for dogs too. It is not the predominate portion of their diet, but it does at times make up 10-20% on certain feedings. Some nights are zero... I keep with the same dry food otherwise. Much of what comprises quality dog food would in essence be looked upon as being table scraps had it made to your table...

Are you schedule feeding or free feeding? I am a firm believer in schedule feeding. Especially with male dogs in their adolesence period. Feed, if they do not eat it within 15 minutes away it goes till the next feeding. You'll be surprised at how quickly they figure out they better clean the dish or it's a good long wait till the next meal. I feed once a day at around 6 p.m. and the dogs are two stepping by the garage door so they can eat... Never had one turn his nose up when they are tired on a hunting trip either. Had several friends convert to schedule feeding after thier dogs refused to eat after a long day of hunting. Problem solved every time...

Good Luck!

Ken

What at all do you know about dog nutrition? I have a dog nutritionist as my guide for dog food. What happens when you feed scraps is you throw off the balance of the quality of the dog food that you are supposed to be feeding. Everything your dog needs should be in your dog food. I also have owned trained many hunting breeds for at least 30 years and never fed table scraps. What brand of dog food do you feed? I am a firm believer in free choice. My dogs have never turned thier nose up at feeding ever. I have had beagles, pointing dogs, coon hounds you name it. I will not get into a debate this is all I will say. But, I could say so much more the end.

Not sure it's a problem you should worry about. Our yellow lab would never eat an entire bowl of food at a sitting. We could fill his dish when it was empty and he would eat when he got hungry but lots of times the bowl would just sit there full until he was ready to eat something. Unless the cat got close to it of course then everyone knew who's food it was. smile

i feed my pup [17 week old chocalate lab] twice a day according to her weight as directed by the science diet large breed puppy food guidlines. i'm not saying what your doing is wrong, simply because i just follow the direction on the bag.

i appreciate your knowlege of labs, because i have never owned a pure bred as i have now. the two dogs we had prior to this lived to be almost 15 years old. we fed them good dog food as they grew up. later as they became older we fed them some scraps, but mainly let them lick out our plates after our meals.

ya, i snuck some treats to them over the years. especialy in the boat when we were fishing and camping. never gave them anything but marrow bones [beef] but they had a good life and a long loveing life. i remember giving them a burger or two toward the end [no bun]. sure it was limited, but i dont see why a few good table scraps hurt a dog. everything in moderation. good luck.

A dog we had in the past would literally nibble and graze on her food all day long, I don't ever remember her going over and eating an entire serving of her food. I tend to believe some dogs especially if there are no other dogs around may just eat a bit different than others.

Lots of good posts but ...

When was the last time you cleaned your dogs food bowl ?

You'd be surprised how often the problem is in the bowls.

Sure he licks it "clean" ... believe me, its a breeding gound !!!

Might be rancid, especially to a dogs nose.

Water bowl too.

Scour em !!!

Hope it helps.

I feed once a day(adult dog)at the same time. Table scraps in moderation is fine but if you have a picky eater cut out the treats and table scraps. Personally I don't give treats or table scraps just to avoid a picky eater.

Like Ken said if the dog won't eat remove his food till the next day. It'll figure it out.

How much to feed? Start with the recommendations on the bag and adjust to your dog. If he empties his bowl and seems like he wants more give him a little more at the next feeding. Over the coarse of time you should have a good idea the right amount to feed by the dogs weight. Do this and there won't be an excuse for an overweight dog.

When on a hunting trip I'll keep the normal feeding time but add a bit more and usually a lighter feeding at mid day.

Always keep fresh water available.

If your dog is a little picky don't buy the 50lb bags of food. They do tend to go rancid or bad, some brands faster then others. If I can tell the difference between a fresh Banana Flip over and old one, your dogs nose knows too.

There is probably something about keeping the bag sealed to keep oxygenation down and humidity out.

My current Lab seems to know the difference and he is picky.

Good point on washing the dog dishes.

What at all do you know about dog nutrition? I have a dog nutritionist as my guide for dog food. What happens when you feed scraps is you throw off the balance of the quality of the dog food that you are supposed to be feeding. Everything your dog needs should be in your dog food. I also have owned trained many hunting breeds for at least 30 years and never fed table scraps. What brand of dog food do you feed? I am a firm believer in free choice. My dogs have never turned thier nose up at feeding ever. I have had beagles, pointing dogs, coon hounds you name it. I will not get into a debate this is all I will say. But, I could say so much more the end.

Not sure what a dog nutritionalist is... I know I don't hold that degree. If you have one, you certainly should follow their (it's?) (your?) training. I know the dog food companies will tell you it's bad to feed scraps. It's in their best interest. I know plenty about dogs, I know what works and what doesn't. I know my vet very well on a first name basis and he and 4 other vets in the area have come to me for puppies. They know my animals and are very comfortable with them and what I produce. He knows I give some scraps to the dogs. He sees nothing wrong with it in moderation. His take is the sme as mine, if it's good enough for you and I... probably much better than ingredients used to make the dog food. If free choice works for you, then by all means use it. I know many dogs it did not work for on hunting trips... never saw a scheduled fed dog not eat unless it was sick. Feel free to share your thoughts on here. We are all sharing are thoughts. We may learn something from each other... I still take the approach that dogs are a hardy animal, not a meek-fragile critter. Scraps will not hurt them in my book... until someone shows me concrete evidence to the contrary... I see no reason not to give them. No reason to debate opinions. Mine may differ from yours, but always willing to listen to sound facts that are contrary to my thinking.

Good Luck!

Ken

What did they do before they made dog food? smile

I'm sure they weren't cooking for just the dog or making up some special diet.

I'd imagine they got what was leftover and that was different everyday so there was a variety of foods that together was a balanced diet.

Given the choice I'd bet they prefer meat scraps over the dog food.

As long as those scraps don't put them off their dog food go for it.

Today's dog food is a convenient way to feed your dog and with that dog food commercials. We're victims of advertisement and buy dog food appealing to us.

Table scraps is not a healthy diet. Your dog is not getting the nutrition he needs. He needs a consistant good quality dog food to maintain good overall health.

What did wild dogs do? Did they make their own kibble and bits? Or did they eat meat? What about canned food? Or gourmet dog food diets? They are the same as what you eat and I eat.

Hes been getting table scraps his whole life. He is 12 years old, is VERY healthy outside of a couple teeth that were extracted. To each their own. hes a 12 year old that has the energy of a 1year old out in the field. Guess we have been feeding him quality table scrapes??

When he gets a blind retrieve that other peoples dogs cant find, they are required to buy him a double cheese burger on the ride home.. Needless to say he loves double cheese burgers and gets one every time we go hunting.

as far as the nutritionist goes, I once dated a dietician. (for humans, not dogs) She made me a meal plan, told me what to do and I didn't lose hardly a single pound cutting back on my food intake and eating healthier.

I did it my way, eating what I wanted, red meats, fatty fast foods and did a good work out routine and lost of 30% body fat. All eating table scraps instead of my bad tasting healthy food she suggested...

too each their own. My dog is 12, hes lived a good life, hes going to continue eating cheese burgers, pork chops, gristle, ect. Just as we indulge in finer things in life that years ago were not an option to us.. I am still living....

My lab gets fed once a day in the morning and then table scraps (hunk of meat) maybe once a week.

Dog is fine and healthy as can be.

My childhood purebred lab however was fed mounds of table scraps every night and way too much cheap dog food (Old Roy). He lived to 13 but was over weight and it showed in his later years of hunting.