• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

adrenaline?

walleyeguy7

I have been hunting for 15 years and have shot many deer. I have shot a few nice bucks as well. One thing I have noticed is that when I am rifle hunting I usually get no adrenaline just a bit of a rush after the shot. However, when I am bowhunting, man do I get a TON of adrenaline, even if I just hear a deer. I must admit I do have a bit of general anxiety so I am a bit edgy to begin with. I usually have plenty of encounters with deer during the season, but this year I havent had many, but tonight I had quite a few deer around within range but no shot, my heart was POUNDING to say the least!But the few encounters Ive had this year are all the same alot of adrenaline and shakes.I dont mind a little adrenaline rush but it kinda seems crazy lately and my question is to see if any of you guys come unglued when you see or hear deer (doesnt matter buck, doe or fawn)to the point where you wish it wasnt so bad, and if so what do you do to control it? I love to hunt and spend as much time as i can in the woods,but i would like to get some pointers on how to control my self when I hear a twig snap.

Yea, good luck with the control.

I also have shot many deer and the day when my heart doesn't beat hard when any deer comes around is the day I will hang up the bow.

I think part of the deal with archery is you know you must have them close to close the deal.

With a gun if you spook them a bit and they don't offer a shot until 50+ yards you can still pull the shot off.

As far as trying to control it, take alot of deep breaths.

It seems to me the more deer I see during either season the more calm I'am. If I don't see much for deer, when I do get to see one then the rush gets worse. Bowhunting actually helps calm me because you get to watch the deer for so long. Rifle seems like the shot opportunity is there almost the whole time as you can shoot from such a long distance and with that the rush seems to be there more often.

I'm pretty calm until the decision has been made to take a particular animal. Then the heartbeat quickens and predatory instincts take over. After the shot, I shake like a dry leaf. smile

I recall one time when I was shaking uncontrollably prior to the shot. It was my first encounter with a good buck. I saw him pass out of range during a morning sit. He was rutting hard and grunting steady. 5 minutes go by and I hear a branch break from behind, I turn and see him coming right at me. This was back in my first few years of bowhunting. At about 15 yds I drew my bow. He came out and went to a scrape 12 yds away. I had no shot. I continued at full draw for a good minute and when he finally turned, he was headed right at me. I was shaking like crazy. The 8 pointer was standing at 7 yds looking right at me but being the time of the year, blew me off as a 6' growth on the tree. He started walking again and at 6 yds, I squeezed my release. The buck jumped and trotted 25 yds and stopped to look back at me. I had shot right underneath him! THAT was an adrenaline high that I'll never forget.

Yep, I still get a serious rush from close encounters too. If ever you get the chance, hunt rutting bull elk some time! Nothing, and I mean nothing, gets me cranked up like a big bull elk screaming in your face. I had one bugle at me from inside of 10 yards one time- incredible. The first bull I shot filled his lungs and reared his head back when he was facing me and at three yards- I seriously think I might have wet myself if he'd not been inturupted by my buddy's cow call.

Nothing compares to the rush I get from encounters with the game I'm chasing! I still have to intentionally calm myself down some times. Don't fight it- enjoy it!!!

I definitely get a major rush, but for the most part the shakes for me have always come afterwards, either after the shot or at least after the encounter. Seem to just go into predator mode automatically when I see one. I used to just freeze up when I would see one bowhunting, now as soon as I see one I'm usually in motion instantly, unless they've seen me already.

Medical side note:

The University of Wisconsin did a study on Bow Hunters in the stand. They monitored their heart rates in response to deer coming in. The hunters in the stand were basically having a stress test when deer came in with heart rates in the 150's, just sitting in the stand.

The University of Wisconsin La Crosse studied Hunters dragging deer out. These hunters heart rates went up 180 beats per minute.

Not a bad idea to get checked out by MD prior to hunting season, especially if you have cardiac risk factors.

I'm pretty calm until the decision has been made to take a particular animal. Then the heartbeat quickens and predatory instincts take over. After the shot' date=' I shake like a dry leaf. smile

quote']

This is the same for me. I can see a big buck out of range and Im excited but not "the shakes" at this point. Once that targeted animal, even a doe, comes my way and I know theres going to be an opportunity, MY HEART GOES CRAZY! I can say from experience that, for me, whether its a doe or a 200" buck, the feeling is the same. My heart pounds knowing im going to try and take this animals life!

I dont think you can control it... nothing can prepare a hunter for that experience! I think thats what makes it so special! Like Rippinlip said.... when your heart quits going crazy, its time to hang it up! Enjoy it! Its a high you cant get from anything else!

I know there is a fine line and I still want to get wound up, but the last few times it gets to the point where I feel I might mess up the shot or something. Until recently Ive never really had a problem with the shakes or even thinking about the shot. I guess the adrenaline thing is just getting to be a bit more than it has been in the past and I guess I just figured it would be the other way around. I was just caught off guard this last time its kinda crazy when you feel like youve just run a marathon confined to a tree on a 24x30 inch platform! anyways I hope this makes sense and I do appreciate the advice. I guess I should just start seeing more deer, maybe that would solve it! laugh

and I still want to get wound up, but the last few times it gets to the point where I feel I might mess up the shot or something.

This could be the issue. Instead of being excited by the encounter, you may be getting anxious about missing the shot. A whole buch more shooting during the off-season may just cure that feeling and help calm you at the moment of truth.

One of the most excited I ever got was an evening where I could hear a deer coming from behind me. No matter how I turned to look there was always a tree in the way and I could not see what it was. By the time 30 seconds had gone by and the deer finally walked under and past my tree, I probably couldn't have shot it if I wanted to.

Another one was last year (at 43 years old) I was in ground blind with a buddy waiting on a big wide mulie. All of sudden he was 25 yards away and my buddy says "there he is, shoot him!" Still amazed how much I was shaking. Think another guy watching made a difference there. Hit him good though.

The thursday before gun opener this year I grunted in a huge 8 pointer. He was about 10 yards behind me in the thick brush. He never gave me a shot and just walked away. While he was standing behind me I noticed my bow was shaking in my hands and I was wound up tight for about 10 minutes after he left. I'm not sure I would have been able to pull the bow back if given the chance and I have shot quite a few deer. Odd how that time I had Buck Fever big time........

Yeah thats exactly how ive been lately. If I hear leaves or twigs man my heart starts pounding! then if see a deer it gets even worse (better) depends how you look at it. I think I will be able to handle it. I just think the lack of deer Ive seen this year has to have something to do with it. Just never had the fever this bad before???? Oh well. I do appreciate the input though guys, Thanks!!!