• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What can I get for under $1000?

Mike Stark

I just pick up a '97 Arctic Cat ZL 440 for $900. It is in great shape although it has 6K on it. The people who had it before me took good care of it.

There are sleds out there, the list upnorth suggested is a good place to look. You may have to look at a number of sleds and be willing to make a haul (I went to Fergus Falls for this sled) but they are out there.

zl44001.jpg

I bought a mint 91 Polaris Indy Trail 500 for $1000 last December. Put over 2,000 miles on it last year and did nothing! This year I installed new hifax, a couple of boggies, a new belt and plugs. Its ready to go for another 2,000 this winter! There are deals out there, spend some time on the list and you will definitely find a good sled. I will likely run this one this season and upgrade next season about 10 years newer:)

1164849723_yDxge-XL.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. I did find a 1992/93 Polaris Indy 440 for $700. It has 3700 miles on it but has been well taken care of. I know the guy that is selling it and he takes very good care of all his toys. He is only about an hour away too. The only issue is that it is not a long track.

Does that seem like a good deal?

Seems like a good deal to me. You should be able to get that puppy up over 60 mph. It will be a fun first sled. Why are you concerned about it not being a long track? Do you mean 2 up? I would't worry about getting stuck with a shorter track. Does it have studs? I would recommend some studs if you are using it for ice fishing. Especially early ice w/o much snow on it. If you know the owner have him clean the carbs for you and watch him as he does it if you don't have experience with sled carbs. Welcome to another addiction.

It's actually my second sled. My first sled is out for sale on the corner. It's a 1980 Yamaha Exciter 440. It's been used pretty hard. smile This will be a huge upgrade for me.

Iv heard that long tracks do better in deep snow/slush. And short tracks are more for performance sleds. That is just what iv heard.

Mike, a rebuilt carb will put a lot of life back in that Exciter! It was funny. Lisa and I were driving to the grocery store yesterday and went past this 1980 Yamaha Exciter sitting for sale on a trailer out front of a house with a red pickup in the driveway, and I suddenly realized that was your house and my old sled! gringrin

The 92 Polaris Indy Trail DLX 2-up (not long track) I got last year cost $1,100. It only had 1,487 miles on it, and the 488 under the hood. Those deals don't come around too often, but I think the one you're looking at is a good price for a good sled as long as it's been taken care of as well as advertised. Plenty of power in a 440 on that sled to haul one guy and his gear (two in a pinch in the right conditions), and also plenty of snort/acceleration for those fun trail rides.

If it has electric start, heated handles and reverse, like mine does, that's even better. On a good starting sled, electric isn't a big deal. It's when you run into a spot of trouble starting (flooded, other fuel/spark issues that can crop up), that the electric is a bonus. Reverse is VERY nice, as are the heated handles.

A long track is nice, but not a necessity.

The suspension and rideability alone going from the tired old Exciter to the much less tired younger Polaris will be a joy for you. Trying to get unstuck (everyone who runs ice fishing sleds has to do this from time to time), will be a lot more work the heavier the sled. That old Yammie is so light it almost never got stuck, and I could pick up the back with one arm and move it over. smile

Good luck on the sled buy!

Yea Foss its time for me to let the old Exciter go. Looking to upgrade a bit. Now i might be able to head up to Lac La Croix with you guys. smile

The sled is coming from Frank's (Surface Tension) brother. It sounds like Frank has taken good care of it over the years. No surprise there.

It is huge for me to be able to buy from someone that I trust and know instead of buying from a stranger on c list.

If Frank has signed off on it, buy it. Period! smile

If possible, depending of course on snow timing/cover, definitely get out on the trails and get used to how it starts and runs and handles before making a la Croix type trip. Fewer surprises on a trip like that, the better!

Mike that sport will leave you knee deep in slush. Its a fan cooled gutless wonder. Look for a liquid cooled 500 or 600 from the late 1990's. If it has a long track better yet. I bought a 98 xc600 2 years ago with 1400 miles for a $1000. Keep looking you will find something.

there are few issues with any well maintained snowmobiles. The major issue of a fan cooled is they don't have much power. Hardly an improvement over what you have. To get through deep snow and slush horsepower is a major adavantage. Again I would look for a 500 to 600 cc liquid cooled late 1990's with a 136 track prefered. Fan cooled 440 =maybe 50 horse 600 liquid cooled= 100 horsepower. The power to weight ratio of the liquid cooled machine is substantially better.

Stick to the dogsleds the fishing is better there anyway.

For $600 you could have had my 1995 XLT...never had a single issue with it other than normal maintenance and it had a hard life (its only purpose was pulling a fish house). I'd buy another, but I am looking for something with a wide-track.

My advice: find one that doesn't have any mods under the hood.

I am going to buy this sled. I know it has been very well taken care of. I don't have to travel far to get it and I know the seller will help me out with any issues I may have.

Knowing the seller and knowing that he will stand behind the sled is priceless.

I'd get it also. Less power then liquid cool? yes-but this will have more then enough power for you and most. If you are using if for ice fishing and light riding, you'll love it. Very easy to maintain and very relaible. We have two for this exact same purpose, different years, one liquid and one fan. Liquid is a little "quicker" but both serve just perfect...

... My advice: find one that doesn't have any mods under the hood.

That is some pretty solid advice.

IMO, another consideration is weight. A good liquid cooled 440 should have plenty of power for what it sounds like your intended purpose is. The advantage to going with a smaller sled is the weight savings. Another potential advantage is fuel economy. You may also end up burning less gass if you aren't looking to haul burro with the sled.

IMO, that sled you are looking at may do you just right. It may not have a ton of power being a fan cooled sled but if you are just looking for a fish-mobile it could work.

Good call, Mike. I second all of Casey's reasoning. It'll be just what you need.

One of the great things about that little Yammie was how fast it would rev and accelerate with the 440 in it, being so light. I never once that I can recall got it bogged to death in slush, even when I was towing that old Fish Trap II with its steep tub front. And the old gal is VERY easy to move around. I can pick it up the back and move it all over with one arm. Being so light, it tended to zip right across on top of slush, and that motor allowed you to build LOTS of rpms when hitting a slush pocket.

'Course, not much of a suspension left on it. gringrin

You should give me a call about that old sled. I'd like to know what kind of condition it's in now. I'm still kinda attached to it. Now that I've got a lot more space at my place, we might strike a deal if the stars align. smile

Wow, I guess it has been a couple years or so since I sold my 03 Pro-X 7 to my brother in law with all the bells and whistles for $3300. Are used sled prices really that high with the good snow we had last year?? Heck, had an old 90 Sport that was in our family since new, sold it in I think 04 for 1k, and that was tough to get out of it at the time. Granted it did have a lot of miles, but I bet that thing is still going. Had a 98 XC700 that was my absolute baby, mint sled with 4500 miles and sold it for $1600 in 08, was tough to get that out of it too. And the last 500 miles on it were put on by my wife in two years of riding. I would think you could get a 98 6 or 700 for 1k if you looked. They wont leave you stuck in the slush, and they were very quick sleds for there time and very reliable to boot. My dad still runs his 98 600, he's 67, and loves the dang thing. Even though it rides like a lumber wagon compared to the new stuff, he wont get rid of it. He will ride it 250 miles up in the U.P. in one day, get up the next day and do it all over again.

Regardless, that Sport will work for you just fine - you wont win any races with it, but with proper maintenance it will never die.