• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ticks !!

swampbuck

I had a deer tick dug in to me May of 2010. The bite area still flares up and itches like crazy. The wound area looks like I just pulled a tick off last night even though it's been 18 months and the head was fully removed with the tick. Those things are nasty critters, even with Lymes disease factor aside.

Found one locked onto me when I got home Sunday night. Did a little research and called the nurses line at Park Nicollet. Sounds like they need to be on you for a few days and engorged in order to transmit Lyme's. Mine hadn't been on that long and wasn't full of blood. So I'm just supposed to keep an eye out for the red ring rash. Assuming that doesn't appear I should be OK.

Apparently Lyme's is very treatable as long as you catch it early enough.

How many years back when ticks became an issue at rifle season ? I think our climate some is changing for sure, look at when the peak goose count is in LQP, that has changed, look at our rifle season temperatures over the past decade, something is different and I think the lack of deer movement is them loading fat on their bodies when they should, but it's plenty warm for them so they don't move a whole lot in the shooting light, no need, can wait for dark and feed off and on all night long. I have 4 regulars (deer) that show up at 8pm each night, eat acorns, lay down and a few hours later get up and eat some more etc. and they are gone by 5AM.

I had a deer tick fall off of me onto my desk this morning. I processed my deer in the garage yesterday and the tick must have come off the deer and was on the garage floor. The bugger jumped on me this morning. I killed it so I got the last laugh on that one anyhow.

GetaNet...Only about 24% of people will develop the rash. Make sure that you watch for the other symptoms. If you are worried, you can go to the doctor and get a test. It is a few vials of blood and they can test it. There are more than just Lyme's disease that those little buggers carry. Just be careful!!

I've said this before but for guys and gals that process your own animals, watch out for ticks. The deer ticks will stay on the deer(host) and as it cools they will find the nearest co2 which generally means the hunter. I have hung deer that have frozen and most ticks dropped off or stuck to the carcass and then brought them home and hung them in a cool garage prior to cleaning them and ended up with a tick or two attaching itself to me. Often this has been during the Wisc rifle season and subsequent processsing when I have found one attached to me. I now take precautions like long sleeves tucked into the gloves, long pants tucked into knee high rubber boots and then I spray my boots and clothing with misquito spray. Hvaen't had a deer tick since but after a couple rounds with them some simple precautions go a long way!

Tunrevir~